Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Gran Turismo 5 - Drive the C7 Now

6K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  stinger430 
#1 ·
See less See more
#9 ·
Funny part about the taillights. In the download screen it describes how far gm is going to disguise the car.

#10 · (Edited)
C7 ?

[QUOTE=Longtimer; C7 design are Welburn, Peters, Bannion, and Juechter

Not to nitpick Longtimer, but the 3rd guy's name is actually
Kirk Bennion :thumbsup:
But, anywho....My theory....
With GM heavily investing in Bowling Green, there is a lot riding
on this one. I think they will get it right. But I wonder about the marketing strategy for C7? For sure they want to sell more, that's why all the expansion at the plant, right?
I think (hope) they will offer an entry level model to attract more
(younger) buyers.
Right now, we know who the demographics for Corvettes are...soooo, this is my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
:smack

#11 ·
Sorry about that. I copied his name from a website that obviously spelled it wrong, but I'd seen it before and should have remembered.

We think the plant expansion is to accomodate bringing some prior subcontracted pieces into BG for fabrication. I think our consensus is that the added space will be mostly for the production of the Al Hydroformed Rails. This should save them some costs and assure nearly perfect Just In Time inventory practices.

They already offer an entry level and that's the Camaro. Now they'll have much more in common than just the engine.

#13 · (Edited)
Buying the DLC right now :partyon:

Ok DLC is free.

First drive impressions.

As downloaded. Hp 443 Tq 453 weight 1500kg weight distribution 49/51(a Gran Turismo first, vettes are always nose heavy in the game) Tires are sports hard (4 on a scale of 1-9 with 9 being the stickiest)

Daytona road course, American muscle opponents.

Car is torquy of the line but doesn't feel as much so as the C6 Z06. Tires are slicker than I would use for a car this powerful but the balance is good, oversteer/understeer can be managed mostly with throttle. Road holding is good with aggressive throttle use breaking the rear loose in tight turns. Like virtually all non aero cars braking in a corner is asking to go into an uncontrollable tank slapper skid (Again a wing or stickier tires would fix this and it is common to all street cars capable of above speed limit speeds). Exhaust note is a pleasant baritone hindered only by GT5's in ability to make any American V-8 sound like its revving past 3000 rpm.

Over all I really like the car potential is definitely there for expanded racing when and if modifications become available.

#15 ·
If GM really did work with Sony on this, at least some of the performance characteristics might ring true to the car. Even if they don't, the specs should match the C7.

The 49/51 weight distribution is EXTREMELY informative, if true for the actual C7. IMO, this confirms the forward movement of the front axle to be at least a couple of inches or more.

Start with a C6. How many ways can a car that looses significant weight, change distribution from 51/49 to 49/51 ... while the front mid engine is gaining weight?

• Moving the battery to the back is a must. Lightens the front and weighs the back down. However, this is just about offset by the LT1 weight gain due to the added tech. Just about status quo in distribution, but the physics improvement is greater because the battery moves from near the center in front to behind the rear axle at the farthermost interior point. Selective electric power accessories that have been forward of the centerpoint could be moved behind the center point if room can be found. JAT
  • Lighten the front materials. Perhaps CF is used for hood and front fenders on the base model. CF might also be used for the firewall and inner fenders. Some weight could be saved behind the front fascia, if they can continue to meet the 2.5mph requirement (this is in front of the axle so again there is a disproportionate physics benefit in handling. Perhaps the radiator mounting header could be made of a lighter material ... Al?
  • HOWEVER, If CF is used for the front fenders, wouldn't it be used for the back fenders too? This would roughly result in a status quo of weight distribution for these lighter components.
  • Use of Aluminum HF rails on Sting Ray. I'm not sure on this one at all, but I think the rails have more mass forward of the current center line. Wouldn't this mean that the front weight reduction due to the Al HF frame is benefitted more than the back? Seems kinda chicken or the egg because of the centerline moving. :huh:
  • Although that rear fascia weighs extremely heavy on my mind, I doubt if there is any significant increase there versus the C6.
  • Is the new hatch treatment lighter than the basket handle/glass design. Possibly, but not by much due to the way it is designed. If it's lighter, it's likely due to more use of CF for the inner pannels where the C6 uses heavier plastic.
  • Push the front axle forward 2-3 inches without lengthening the car. This should have little or no impact on total weight while, essentially, pushing the engine and cockpit back by moving the vehicle centerline rearward.

Unless I forgot something (entirely possible), I think the biggest impacts on the all important weight distribution will be, in order of their importance:
  1. Moving the front Axle forward.
  2. Use of lighter materials (Al and CF) for the inner support structures (fenderwells, radiator header, etc).
  3. Battery and possibly some other support elect power functions relocation behind the centerline.

Just not sure of the impact of the Al HF rails on distribution. Intuitively, I think it IS significant.

What did I miss?

#16 ·
Very interesting that a PS3 player said that after he'd driven his C7 for a while, and changed its oil( of course in the game), that his HP increase to 465 and his TQ became 478. (He had not made any engine mods, just changed its oil.) As many believe that GM deliberately downplayed the LT1's numbers, and that the real number will be released on Jan. 13th, might these game numbers turn out to be the real thing?

#17 ·
It's always been that way with the Gran Turismo games. After a break-in period, the engine has loosened up a bit and changing the oil let it "out." It's not much different than real life in that regard, which is why they did it. My buddy once bought one of the rare used cars (the only way to get some of them in the game) with over 100K miles and the power jumped from 90 something to 140 something, which we joked that the game must not calculate the oil ever being changed when you buy from the used dealerships. So, no, it doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. The starting numbers on the other hand...

#18 ·
Took the C7 on the Nürburgring to see what she would do...

7:35 on sports-hard.

0-60 a little over 4 sec.

1/4 mile 12.2

Top speed 204 mph. (GT5's physics, while good, should never seen as the be all end all of racing physics.)

Wonder how close to real life those numbers are going to be...

#20 ·
Took the C7 on the Nürburgring to see what she would do...

7:35 on sports-hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tmQbY9JDuY

0-60 a little over 4 sec.

1/4 mile 12.2

Top speed 204 mph. (GT5's physics, while good, should never seen as the be all end all of racing physics.)

Wonder how close to real life those numbers are going to be...
Awesome lap!

#24 ·
I find that GT5 as a simulator is generally over hyped by GT fans, while its not an arcade racer its limited to how much of a simulator you can release on a console and still sell like hot cakes.

1,500KG is 3,300 pounds roughly which we know that the C7 will be significantly lighter then the C6 and the base C6 is 3,200 pounds.

I can see the 49/51 weight split being true with the changes that they made to the car compared to the C6. Also the Horsepower and torque figures are close enough to what GM has released.

Still though as the LT-1 is still going through final calibration and what not we don't actually know what it produces in production form. I wouldn't be shocked to see something around 455BHP when all is said and done.

I would love to see a 3,050 pound 450BHP car that is 49/51.

#25 ·
Got curious about how the car might perform if it were to have sport cups like the current ZR1 has. Sport soft are the closest the game has to those so there might be some discrepency.

Anywho 7:25:306 was the time. If the real life car is capable of those kinds of numbers then I am certainly able to forgive it's hideous mis-shapen rear. Wow.

Edit: I'll also post a video later this week when I get the chance.

#26 ·
I can believe it, the power to weight ratio of the rumored weight on the C7 and the power to weight ratio of the Z06 trim that ran the ring in 7:22 isn't going to be that far off. Our best guess says that the C7 will weigh in at 3,050 pounds and packing 450BHP gives it a power to weight ratio of 6.7 pounds per horsepower. BTW its 6.4 pounds per horsepower for the Z06 with the stuff to run the ring in 7:22.

Also being lighter depending on suspension tuning and tire choice would give it an edge when it comes to handling and braking over the Z06.

will be interesting....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.