Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Horn not working at steering wheel but works when I lock the car

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  hoopty 
#1 ·
Hey, anyone have an idea why my horn wouldn't work at the steering wheel however, when I lock the car up the horn does go off like it should. Fusz 11 is fine and I even replaced it to double check. Any ideas are welcomed
Rick

#9 ·
It looks like it was the canceling cam and I have the part and my buddy is going to put it in. Just been lazy as the car has been in the garage and I have been on the road. Hey I did put some headers on and the car sounds pretty good.
Rick

#12 ·
The cancel cam usually has a circular contact on it that allows the horn circuit to maintain contact while turning the steering wheel. I believe the clock spring is part of the circuit for the air bag. This is a picture of both sides of the canceling cam that I replaced in my brother's 1987 corvette:thumbsup:

#14 ·
If you look closely at the inner hub of the cam you can see 2 areas that protrude out from the hub. They make contact with the turn signal switch that moves to the center of the steering column when the turn signal lever is moved. when the cam contacts the turn signal switch it pushes the turn signal switch back to the off or neutral position.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.