Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Kooks and Corsas...

5K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
I found a guy in town selling a full set up of Kooks long tube with cats and Corsa muffs for $1000. Unknown tube size as of now but probably 1 and 3\4. Grand for it all. The headers are rusted up but I guess nothing a couple hours cleaning with some elbow grease and steel wool cant handle.

Good deal, yes or no. Sounds good to me after searching new prices online. What say you....

:huh:

#4 ·
After you get them you might want to send them to Jet Hot and have them coated. Just make sure the cats aren't clogged and still have the honeycombs intact. The cats on the Kooks are part of the system and can't be seperated. If you need to replace them you have to replace the whole after pipe.

#8 · (Edited)
... Just make sure the cats aren't clogged and still have the honeycombs intact. The cats on the Kooks are part of the system and can't be separated. If you need to replace them you have to replace the whole after pipe.
C5 Dude, you would be crazy to buy them without considering this advice. As a matter if fact, I would tell the seller that the only way you would buy them is dependent upon the outcome of said checkup. The deal may be sweet for a reason. Also, consider what the new guy posted and do some research into the quality of that setup.

I use to know some Kooks guys. One in particular was named Kool-Aid. See if you can guess why...

Hey, I had the same setup on my 02, the Kooks only lasted two years and the inners came loose and I had to replace them and being in Canada I only use the car for 6 months of the year.
Welcome to the forum. :buhbye:

#5 ·
Coated

There is a company on the North side of Houston that does the coating and its allot less than Jet hot and the quality is good.We had them coat a set for our 65 Impala with a LS2 in it.thats been about 4 years and they still look good ! Let me know and I will find the name for you . O and that price is very good I have about $2200.00 in my LG's and Mufflers.

#7 · (Edited)
There is a company on the North side of Houston that does the coating and its allot less than Jet hot and the quality is good.We had them coat a set for our 65 Impala with a LS2 in it.thats been about 4 years and they still look good ! Let me know and I will find the name for you . O and that price is very good I have about $2200.00 in my LG's and Mufflers.

I will let you know if I get them. I would like to get them coated. They are solid, but they just need to be cleaned up.

This would be a great add on for my budget Vette! :partyon:

Oh....are you a part of any Corvette Club? I am thinking od starting one but if you know of a good one that is already going than that would be better.

#9 ·
Thanks Junkman. I really am going to look them over good. If the cats look even suspicious then I will pass and just see if I can talk him out of the Corsas. He said he wanted to sell them as a set up, but we will see. Today is the day I will be going to look at it all.
:partyon:

#10 ·
I know it is $500.00 more but PFADT has a new TRI -Y system that looks IMPRESSIVE. I have KOOKS on for 4 years NO problems. RAN catless for 3.5 years could not stand the stink so MAGNAFLOW round cats went on. Have 111 LSA cam so the stink was BAAAAD. BUY the PFADT system.

good luck

paul

#15 ·
Well, I baught them. They looked solid with no bad rust spots. Just surface color that I will clean before having them coated. They are 1 3/4 in tubes into 3" collectors and high flow heavy metal cats that run in 3" pipes to the over axles that taper down to 2 1/2" into the Corsa mufflers. $1000 for all and he wouldn't deal no more. Although I did get a cool power ram and a new shift knob and boot to replace my funky one for free. ;)

Complete system

This is the headers. They need to be cleaned up.

This is the high flows with the x-pipe.

The Corsa tips.

The Ram and shift knob.

I guess since I blew my cash on this I will wait until I get the clutch to instal the headers and between now and then I will have these coated and just put the Corsas on.

But either way, I am a happy camper.

#17 ·
I have the up stream new in the box and the downstream I just replaced a month ago. I will just swap them out.

But I was thinking the same thing! :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Coating....

I got a price of $320 to coat the Kooks long tube headers today from Polydyn. Is that a good price. This will be my first time to get a set coated.

Also, I spoke to the guys at LMR today and they basically said that the stainless headers don't need to be coated.

I really wanted them coated for the heat not the rust prevention anyway. What do you guys think....:huh:

#20 ·
absolutely get them coated. will greatly reduce underhood temps, allow the cats to heat up quicker, keep exhaust velocity higher, ect...

Never heard of Polydin, but mine are Jet-Hot coated and I can touch them about 5 mins after I shut the car off. When I get home from work tomorrow I'll hit the primary tubes with my IR thermometer right after shutting it off, then again 5 mins later.

#22 ·
honestly I don't remember what it cost to get mine done. I would say give Jet-Hot a call and ask them.

#23 ·
Polydin

Dude That is who did the headers for me and they have been great .The best part is you can drop off and pick them up saving you a bunch of money and weeks of shipping time .

#24 ·
Dude That is who did the headers for me and they have been great .The best part is you can drop off and pick them up saving you a bunch of money and weeks of shipping time .

Yeah! I think I will be going with them for all the above mentioned and the fact that they will stand behind thier work face to face. They also have many different glazings to choose from and I like that.

#28 ·
They can. But we have an emissions standard here for inspections and cops can actually impound your car if they find you with a local inspection and the cats removed.

Bad mojo to do that. Besides, I don't like the smell NO cats leave behind you. Also I think high flows are almost just as good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.