Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

69/71 Corvette hybrid

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  77Custom 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've had a strange (and possibly blasphemous) thought running through my mind for the past few weeks. I feel that GM got the '68-69 Corvette right in terms of the 4 gills and fenders without mud flaps. However, I think GM did it better in terms of the rectangular exhaust bezels in '70-72, as well as the beautiful cast metal grille and markers.

The background here is that my car has been positively brutalised by its previous owners - the motor is not matching numbers, there are barely any date coded parts left, tank sticker and POP are long gone and both paint and interior are not the factory colours. At least the body and frame VIN match. The transmission code suggests that the car was a factory big block; currently it is a NOM big block. None of this particularly worries me, as the plan for the car all along was to hot rod it.

What I want to do is cut off the mud flaps from the fenders (to change the shape to the 69 shape) and fibreglass in the 4 gills. Note that I'd put a patch piece in with the 4 gills rather than replace the fenders with earlier unit, so that if someone wanted to return the car to '71 spec one day it just take a dremel and some grinding to allow the egg crates to go back in. I'd leave the factory rectangular exhausts and the '71 grille.

What do you guys think? I've had the suggestion to just buy a '69 Corvette, but then I figure that it's even more blasphemous to fit a '71 grille and exhausts to a '69 than the other way around. Plus I live in Australia - these cars are rare here (you might pay over 50 grand for an okay driver '69). I got my big block '71 for a steal in comparison, as it was owned by a clueless young guy.

Am I crazy for wanting to make the car I want it to be, and the way I wish GM had?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hell no!! Cut it up!!! Any one can restore a car it takes a real man to cut one up, all bullshit aside, its your car do what you want with it and enjoy it. If someone has a problem with it tell them they can buy it and so what they want with it.

#5 ·
Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....I agree with raidmagic and Bad Bird it's your car build it to your preference....it will in a way be different from other Vettes....but still the same....have fun with it and enjoy the ride.
Lee

#7 ·
Sounds like you have some great ideas in mind (and they are all corvette) so I don't see how that could be construed as blasphemous.

Have at it.....make it YOUR car. Anyone can buy one restored or restore to original. Putting your own touch into a car is the ultimate satisfaction......and who knows.....you could be the next Joel Rosen.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Totally go for it. To me, there are very few "blasphemous" things to do to a Corvette. Example: "Retrorodding" an original '53...or cutting out the rear window split of a '63. Other than that, have a blast and make it yours!

#9 ·
The background here is that my car has been positively brutalised by its previous owners - the motor is not matching numbers, there are barely any date coded parts left, tank sticker and POP are long gone and both paint and interior are not the factory colours...
Am I crazy for wanting to make the car I want it to be, and the way I wish GM had?
But the next owner might think so.

Just messin' with ya here - DO IT BadBird! Do it! And, no regrets.

Cheers - Jim

#16 ·
I've come to a decision - first I'm going to fit bolt 'gill panels' like Curby did with his '72 Corvette:

I'll then get a chance to see how much I like the change. If after, say 6 months, I decide that I like the change, I'll glass the gills in and reshape the wheel arch openings to match the earlier cars.

Thank you all for your contributions to the topic. Note that I have no intentions to stir up either modifiers or purists, just that I want to make this car my perfect Corvette.

Regards,
-Matt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.