Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7 Vette - What's a Gal to do

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  AlexY 
#1 ·
Like most of you, I've been viewing / reading all about the new C7. Granted, from this date, the C7 won't even be sold for another 8 months from now. But when it is available, what is a Gal to do?

Well, here is my take:
1. I am very reluctant to buy a first year / model anything, particularly something from GM. No bashing please -- I'm not biased for nor against any manufacturer. Fact is, first year models most often have unidentified issues and I don't want the headache from that.
Second model year tends to fix the "issues" identified in the first model year. Ah, no thanks. I'd wait for the 3rd model year -- that's where the refinement and facelift comes in. Oh, and we all will have to see how the new cylinder deactivation works out on the C7. I am not a fan of that.

Besides, this time around, I'd go for a Z model. Convertible was fun / nice, Grand Sport a blast, but time for a Z.

2. Looky, looky.... other very interesting prospects will be on the market come the C7 3rd model year. To name a few... on the high end - both the Acura NSX and Lexus SC replacement will be very tempting, Porsche Boxter S (maybe), the new 918 and of course 911 Carrera S, Audi R8 will be updated as well. More main stream - Toyota has something going on with the FR-S platform - rumor has it, a new Supra (not supped up Celica), the BRZ will get STi treatment and convertible, oh, we could go on and on. Come 2015 into 2016, there will be much to choose from as opposed to a C7.

Granted, a Vette is a Vette and while I'm not a huge fan of the C7 square tail lights and certainly the rear view overall (what is with the rear sides, those vertical lines?), but overall, the C7 looks very nice. Surprisingly, the C7 is still very identifiable with the C6. That said, my C6 Grand Sport with mods will still hold its own for a few more years as the C7 matures a bit.

One disappointment about the C7 is the interior. Frankly, I was expecting a bit more refinement. Based on the many images I have seen, it seems that the C7 uses the same grade plastic and leather as the 3LT / 4LT C6. For those who have been inside of say a Porsche, Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc - you'd know what I mean.

So for the next 2 to 3 years, this Gal will save my pennies, enjoy my C6 Grand Sport with mods, and watch the C7 show mature.

BTW: IMHO... a C6 Grand Sport / Z06 / ZR1 vs C7 still look very nice and equally aggressive / sporty when viewed side by side. The C6 wide body models are not nearly as dated when compared to the C7, just a bit rounder. Actually, from some angles, the wide body C6s look even better than the C7.

:cheers: DTG

See less See more
Reactions: PNHNDLE96CE
#4 ·
I overlooked to mention another C7 interior disappointment... once more, the steering wheel seems to be from the GM parts bin. :crazy: I continue to tolerate a rather lame steering wheel on the C6 but my next sports car will not have a lame feel to the hand, one way or another. Just one of my womanly pet peeves. :whip:

#8 ·
I really hate to hear the term "GM parts bin" when complaining about the Corvette, since that is the greatest weapon the Corvette has against exploding price. Porsche has VWs parts bin but chooses little of it, thus their comparable performance entries start at $80,000. Lamborghini also has VWs parts bin but uses virtually none of it, and thus starts in the $150,000s. The same is true of Ferrari with Fiat. Nissan is the only price and performance competitive car with the GT-R but if anyone has followed its pricing you would note it has ballooned from the $70,000 range to the $90,000 range with very little improvement.

Just some things to consider when complaining about shared components in our mid $50,000 sports car.

#5 ·
One disappointment about the C7 is the interior. Frankly, I was expecting a bit more refinement. Based on the many images I have seen, it seems that the C7 uses the same grade plastic and leather as the 3LT / 4LT C6. For those who have been inside of say a Porsche, Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc - you'd know what I mean.
:cheers: DTG
CBS Sunday Morning ran a story on the C7 and the reporter who took a ride in the new car said the interior materials were much improved and on par with European rivals. Can't wait to see for myself!

#6 ·
I sure hope so, frankly, the price of any new Corvette has always warranted a step or two up in the interior materials department. Point to note: consider the source "CBS Sunday Morning" -- probably just reading the talking points / sales pitch for various reasons not worthy of mentioning to go off topic.

Time shall tell... :cheers:

#10 ·
I can certainly see where you're coming from but there's just one comment I have :

You say no to first or second year models yet the NSX for instance is coming out when the Vette is on it's second or third year, meaning why are you comparing them?

If your logic is true then the NSX third year should be compared to the C7 fifth year, not saying that "Not getting a C7 in the first year", but NSX first year is alright.

Just a minor nit.

I certainly respect anyone's opinion regardless what I think of them, that bit just stood out a bit to me though.

// Stefan

#15 ·
Hi Stefan... I was just trying to illustrate that besides the C7 (which I am almost certainly going to buy), there are other options out there for car enthusiasts to choose from and even more exciting cars coming soon.

As for the NSX, while Acura / Honda have the hybrid technology down pretty good, of course the first year model NSX holds true to the rule... Besides, it would likely be financially beneficial to lease an NSX as opposed to buy.

#11 ·
I think you are in the wrong forum to be pointing out other cars to buy. And if you think the jap cars are much better and reliable, better do some homework. The NSX had many problems and issues, so many, and to expensive people stop buying them, so production stopped.

Look at the specs of the NSX, or Honda S2000, the corvette is faster, handles better, and even gets better mileage. The S2000 is a little 4cy, and its a oil burning little pos. Look at the new Indy car engine rules, a clean sheet a paper was starter and an entire new race engine, Honda and Chevrolet/illmore went at is head to head, and Honda got its ass kicked all of 2012.

This isnt the 80's where GM built junk, and for that matter all car companies did, even jap companies. Or maybe you w3ant a big bad new Nissan GTR, oh but dont take it to the track, or use "Launch Mode" or you might break your 20,000 trans and your warranty will NOT cover it. Same with the big bad STi, do track days and warranty is history. Yeah thats a great way to stand behind your product. Tell everyone its a big bad sports car, but if you drive it like one, you warranty is gone.

And from a C6z owner, the new C7 when side by side will make my C6 look like a plain and dated refrigerator, look at the 2 cars, there is no comparison, and they are only showing the plain, narrow base model. There is no production car on the planet, that compares bang for the buck as with the Corvette.

And I think you need to get an upclose look at the new C7 interior before you start comparing it to your "Boxter S" the Boxter is for sure a chik car, and you are that, so maybe its for you. A loaded little Boxter s its 100K, and the new Camaro ZL1 and 1LE are faster around a track, thats sad, and you would be a fool to pay that much for a little Boxter.

#12 ·
I think you are in the wrong forum to be pointing out other cars to buy. And if you think the jap cars are much better and reliable, better do some homework. The NSX had many problems and issues, so many, and to expensive people stop buying them, so production stopped.

Look at the specs of the NSX, or Honda S2000, the corvette is faster, handles better, and even gets better mileage. The S2000 is a little 4cy, and its a oil burning little pos. Look at the new Indy car engine rules, a clean sheet a paper was starter and an entire new race engine, Honda and Chevrolet/illmore went at is head to head, and Honda got its ass kicked all of 2012.

This isnt the 80's where GM built junk, and for that matter all car companies did, even jap companies. Or maybe you w3ant a big bad new Nissan GTR, oh but dont take it to the track, or use "Launch Mode" or you might break your 20,000 trans and your warranty will NOT cover it. Same with the big bad STi, do track days and warranty is history. Yeah thats a great way to stand behind your product. Tell everyone its a big bad sports car, but if you drive it like one, you warranty is gone.

And from a C6z owner, the new C7 when side by side will make my C6 look like a plain and dated refrigerator, look at the 2 cars, there is no comparison, and they are only showing the plain, narrow base model. There is no production car on the planet, that compares bang for the buck as with the Corvette.

And I think you need to get an upclose look at the new C7 interior before you start comparing it to your "Boxter S" the Boxter is for sure a chik car, and you are that, so maybe its for you. A loaded little Boxter s its 100K, and the new Camaro ZL1 and 1LE are faster around a track, thats sad, and you would be a fool to pay that much for a little Boxter.
She was simply giving her opinion on the C7 and what SHE plans to do in the future with her next ride, not telling anybody else what they should do. I agree with some of the stuff she said and disagree with others. I also agree with some of the stuff you said and disagree with others. If she feels that way about the cars she mentioned, so be it. Dont think that calls for a bashing of her opinion.

#17 ·
Both C7 seat options seem to be a significant improvement over the C6. However, being rather petite, I don't mind the C6 seats and in some ways, the C6 seat is more cushiony and feel better than the seats in our late model Lexus(s).

The appearance of the upgraded C7 seats - sport or track seats (whatever GM called them) - let's just say that if I were a seat, I wouldn't mind being paired up with one of those. Very sexy as far as a seat goes. :cheers:

#16 ·
The interior is touted as world-class. "If it looks like leather...it's fine leather...if it looks like aluminum it is."

Looks fantastic from the photos and video. For sure an upgrade from your C6.

I drove a C6 a while back and didn't think it was that shabby. The truth is the Europeans just need something to bitch about. It will be interesting to see what gripes them when the C7 is kicking their ass.

I think Mustangs look like refrigerators. :rolling:

#18 ·
I watched that GM sales video also - but all leather is not created equal.

Interesting side factoid: Veyron Bugatti leather comes from cows that reside above a certain altitude to assure no mosquito bites on the hide. Go figure!!

I'm just excited to see the C7 in person as most of you are and surely hope that GM hit a home run and doing more than talking the talk, but also walking the walk. :cheers:

#21 ·
To be honest, I think it will come down to being a matter of personal taste when you are ready to buy. The last two Corvette iterations did not have a myriad of significant reliability issues their first year, but with the plethora of new tech on this model, I can understand some reluctance. As far as interior build quality, I think the jury is out until we see something other than hand-built test mules and show cars. The significant investment made at Bowling Green likely affected all areas of assembly, so their ability to acheive reproducible, tight-tolerance vehicles is still unknown.

If I had any desire to carry additional passengers, the M3 and CTS-V would make for some interesting cross-shopping and provide refined handling and ride. Any Porsche would be a blast, but I would recommend driving a few to see how much you like the handling. They are... different. I still haven't warmed up to the entire C7 design, so I would rather have a C6 Z with its so-called dated styling and average interior.

Whatever you get, make sure you post pictures of it!

:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Guys... I want to make clear that of all the cars made, the Vette has always caught my eye and having now owned two - both with very good reliability (knock on wood) - it is the only car that I don't feel the urge to trade in after a couple of years. Compared to the likes of Porsche for instance, the Vette not only looks better and holds its own in performance, but is a bargain, and I much rather support GM than VW / Porsche. :thumbsup:

I've been fortunate to have other nice cars in the garage, so I can readily compare. Never owned a Porsche and the new 911 is dreamy - but at a price that is bloated / equally dreamy. Besides, the costs of ownership of a Porsche can be excessive and makes the Vette even more of a value. FWIW: The R8 (V8 version) my hubby drove for a while was just - wow, but never caught the eye like my GS Vette does.

I think the C6 interior is pretty good but just not in the same league as the competition. Just hoping for two steps up with the C7 for interior quality / materials / fit n finish to rival the likes of Porsche, BMW, Audi, Lexus... If GM makes the C7 interior like that of the CTS-V - I'd be most pleased.

Oh... and when the C7Z is released, due to the new body structure, it too may have a targa top. How sweet that will be!!

And the show goes on....

#23 ·
You can rest assured the C7 interior shares absolutely NOTHING in common with the C6 interior. The C6 base car is all foam and skin molded (funny because that is EXACTLY what a new Audi A6 base car is...so is the BMW 3 series...but that's another subject as they get praise, funny because perception is reality). The base C7 is a near 100% wrapped interior ...this being my business I can tell you it is very nice from a quality of material and craftsmanship standpoint, world class & I make all OEM interiors so I speak with some background. As far as overall interior styling, eh...it is subjective, they could have put a nicer steering wheel for sure, but for materials it is VERY nice, just sit in it and you'll know. As far as other cars being nicer, yes my 911tts with full leather interior is a whole different level of quality and fit and finish, but I absolutely will be buying a C7Z when it hits the market!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.