Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1977 LS1 Corvette (another C3 swap)

26K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  hitman11_ac 
#1 ·
I got this car in 1999 when I was 18 right before leaving for college. I drove it once with the original motor in it. Then I parked it, started tearing it apart, ran out of money, never finished putting her back together and left for Austin. She sat in my parents garage for 8 years.

Fast forward to 2009, along the way got married, had some kids, finished school, got a job, and decided to get her running again. I swapped the original 350 due to messed up this and that, plugged in a rebuilt 350 and drove it 3 times. The guy that installed it could never get it to run right.

I parked her again (this time in my grandmother's garage) and started tearing her apart from the bottom up (not frame off though).

Over a 3 year span:
Upgraded suspension
Repaired brake system
Repaired power steering
Repaired and pieced together new interior (yet to be installed)

and started the LSX journey...

I decided on 5.7L (LS1) from 99 Trans-am, keeping TH400 tranny (4L60e planned for a future swap)

Harness from PSI Conversion
Computer from local guy with tune
True dual exhaust (for now) custom local welding shop
Gauges from Vettaid
Lokar throttle cable
Lokar oil dip stick
Corvette regulator/filter
Walbro 255 lph external pump
F-body brackets and accessories all around
F-body oil pan (cleared no problems)
Hybrid A/C system (kwik performance compressor bracket, sanden 508 compressor, LS1 camaro condensor, C3 accumulator and evaporator, custom a/c lines)
Custom power steering line (combined C3 and LS1 hose)
TurnOne power steering pulley
Removed heater outlets on water pump to clear a-arm
Hughes Performance flexwheel/flywheel adapter to make engine mate with tranny TH400
1 inch setback mounting plates (ebay)
A bunch of other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice work! Great looking car. I had a '77 back when it was nearly new. An LS1 is a fitting upgrade for such a great car. Not sure if you have done the paint and cosmetic stuff yet, but give us more pics if you have. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Ended up putting it on the passenger side floor behind pocket map area...put it up there as much as I could. Also located fuse block next to it. Will make passengers squeeze their legs in a bit but who cares I'm building her for passengers!

Also, you mentioned you wanted some electrical details...anything in particular I can help you out with? I pretty much know where every sensor is like the back of my hand. If you are starting from scratch I recommend you call Jody at Vettaid and have him build you a harness with all the bells and whistles. Cost wise ends up being same thing as buying a stand-alone and then adding fuse block for fans, connectors for gauges, etc. New gauge setup from Vettaid is like $1000 by the way...still cheaper and easier than doing it yourself. Each gauge is like $250! I basically had Jody take my stand-alone harness and combine it with new OEM ac/heater controls and make custom connections for my gauge setup. All simple plug-n-play.

#18 ·
I've been where you are now, I drove mine 275 miles and spun a rod bearing, that sucked but it allowed me to build a nice 402 LSX. On the bright side now you will have a fresh LS motor when done. Stick with it, once it all come together and is reliable, the LS is a blast to drive.

Riggs.

#19 ·
If it makes you feel any better your not the only one in the boat. Worked on my sons 68 camaro for a year now dropped a valve killed a piston and head. Just now got it running so hang in there:cheers:Mark

#22 ·
Loving this thread too...about to dive into the same project.

#25 ·
BTW, after checking compression and monitoring coolant level I am thinking I don't need rebuild after all. After a lot of reading I realized LS1's have PCV issues. I think upgrading PCV system should remedy the smoke problem. The engine sounds like a champ so I am really hoping this does trick. Will test drive next week...once new tranny dipstick arrives and gets installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.