Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

81 vette high idle problem

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EASYGEAR 
#1 ·
hey guys, i have a bone stock all original 81 vette Same motor, trans and rear axle. no smoke, no slip, no grind. Runs awsome. Except lately the choke blasts 2000 rpm when cold. tap of foot brings it down to 1300 rpms. Local mechanics are baffled. There is a quarter inch gap between the idle screw and the throttle arm. I can push really hard and get it down to 1000 rpms. Its definitly binding. the car is all origional matching #s. So I may have to spend big bucks to get the origional rebuilt. there is a company called Garanteed Carburators for a decent price . the sell you a carb and you send your old one back as a core. mine is an E4ME. $188 bucks and lifetime warranty sound good. Does anybody know these guys? And will a replacement carb hurt the value of my unmolested vette?

#2 ·
Moved you to the C3 forum, you'll get more help there.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Thanks I'm a little rusty ( and moving kind of slow after all the drinking, overeating and partying from the holidays.) I see you have a nice C-4. My 3rd Vette was an 86. I love the luxurious feel of the C-4s roomy interior. I just couldn't afford the maintenance. Being an old school mechanic I was afraid to mess with it. I wanted it fixed right so I spent tons of cash at the dealership. If I wanted to take a road trip I'd pick a C-4. But I'm in love with those sexy C-3 body lines. Even though you hear a symphony of rattles and squeaks as you cruise along in the cramped cabin . Have a great new year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.