Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

How can you tell if you have a late or early 69?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  6880 Mike 
#1 ·
I keep noticing when I try to purchase replacement parts that it often says one item for 'early' and one item for 'late' 69 corvettes. Is there a cut off date or is it part specific?
I belive my car VIN number comes out at about march 15.

#2 ·
SOme of it depends on what part you're looking for- I have a Nov 68 car. I looked all over for the vent knobs on the console- no A/C. 69 uses 2 different ones- a round one is late and the little chrome rectangle ones are early.

Look at the trim tag for the build date- I forget the code sequence, but it's there.

And even with that, there seems to be no "cutoff date" for some parts. They just used the 68 parts until they ran out and then used 69 parts.

#4 ·
...I have no notices about ´70 leaving the factory with a ´69 front end...
They didn't. You've got a replacement front end on your '70.

Xpoc454: "Early" and "late" usually apply to a specific running change made during the production run. For the specific part you want, check the revision dates at the bottom of the AIM page to see when a part might have been changed on the assembly line.

In Tim's example of the vent knobs, the AIM will probably show the round ones with a notation of the old part number for the '68 knobs and the date the part was revised.

Rule of Thumb only: the round vent knobs could have been in production before the AIM revsion became effective, but the date will get you in the neighborhood.

:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Here are some of the examples I have on my car.
I read in a repair guide that 68 to early 69 models had front grills with silver edging. Later 69 and after were just black. But my march car (which I assume was early) has all black.

Also, my car came with what decoded as a 68 rochester, the previous owner swore it was the original carburator.

These things are likely to drive a person crazy. :)

#7 ·
...68 to early 69 models had front grills with silver edging. Later 69 and after were just black. But my march car (which I assume was early) has all black...
1969 production began in August 1968. A March 1969 car would not necessarily be early production. GM had left over '68 grilles with the silver trim and used those on the '69s until supplies ran out. Some '69s are documented as having received leftover '68 interior upholstery.

...my car came with what decoded as a 68 rochester, the previous owner swore it was the original carburator...
It could be original. Your Q-Jet could have been manufactured and date stamped in December, 1968 and installed on your March car.

You would enjoy Rick Bizzoco's 1969 Stingray Guidebook ifd you can find a copy. Good stuff for '69 owners.

:thumbsup:

#6 ·
Mine has a Feb 1, 69 birthdate, and I had a few "early" parts on mine. The quickest to check is the wiper door vacuum can (if yours is original). "Early" were larger "coffee can" shape, and later were the smaller, shorter cans. There are a few other items, but I don't have the list here with me. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.