Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The Car is Packed and CEurope Awaits

59K views 254 replies 20 participants last post by  jack panzica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...82,14.238281&spn=40.242802,133.066406&t=m&z=3

I better get cracking on my languages..........

See less See more
#30 ·
Old parts are Old parts...even if original....

As posted before that my car was having problems on Cape Cod, I drove home and I got the car to the mechanic and it turns out that my right side half-shaft outer joint was hanging on by the cap and not much else. I had thought that all 4 were replaced after my 48 state trip...I guess they only replaced 3 as the one that failed was about 30 years old....

I was relieved to find out that it was only the u-joint and not a rear end or bearing problem...not that losing a half-shaft at 85 is fun....

I knew that I should have replaced my tie rods after my 48 state trip....30 years and many miles along with vice grips, plumbers wrenches, and the like to do alignments, it was time....

Did I replace them....Noooo.......and we have be chasing a clink and clank since California....Roy Brazzt thought he found the problem, upper A Arm bushing bolt was loose...did not make sound go away...

New bushings, ball joints and u-joints (except one that just failed) and stuff....last fall......I fell in love with my original camps on the sleeves...
did not change...

Mechanic fixed my u-joint...took car for a ride.....heard clink....car needed alignment after u-joint...and discovered that the camps were squeezed as far as could go.....tie rod sleeves threads were worn...and the clinking was the tie rod moving a bit...

New sleeves and clamps.....no clinks......Snake One..............we found it..........

Jack

#31 ·
The car is packed and the boat is at the dock waiting !

Dear Forum Members,

I will have some news on the trip by the end of the week. It looks like I will make it to Europe by the end of August.

Thanks to all who have supported my efforts and I hope you enjoy the trip .

http://www.corvettevagabond.com/

Jack

#32 ·
Projected Route in Scandinavia

Hello to all,

I drop off the car at the shipping dock on Monday , July 30, three of four days for customs inspection and packing in container.

The MS C Emma sails on the 9th and arrives in Bremerhaven, Germany on the 27th of Aug. a few days to clear customs and I hit the road to Scandinavia . I will try to travel over 2,000 miles in about a week.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...0004c5bf0e97f7671488d&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4&vpsrc=1

I will post some pictures if possible of the departure....

Put your seat belts on , it is going to be a great ride

Jack

#33 ·
Hello to all,

I drop off the car at the shipping dock on Monday , July 30, three of four days for customs inspection and packing in container.

The MS C Emma sails on the 9th and arrives in Bremerhaven, Germany on the 27th of Aug. a few days to clear customs and I hit the road to Scandinavia . I will try to travel over 2,000 miles in about a week.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...0004c5bf0e97f7671488d&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4&vpsrc=1

I will post some pictures if possible of the departure....

Put your seat belts on , it is going to be a great ride

Jack
Have a fabulous journey Jack! :cheers:

#34 ·
Drove the car to Boston for shipment to Eruope

I drove the car to Boston to be packed in a container for shipment to Europe on the 9th of August. The car will arrive on the 27th in Bremehaven, Germany, I should arrive around the 26th of August.

Here are some of the last pictures that I shot of the car at home and in Boston at the shipping company.

#36 ·
#37 ·
Preparation Check Off List For Trip

Good Evening to All,

The car is in the container, waiting to be put on aboard the MSC EMMA on August 9th. Here is a link to a picture of it.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/sho...px?imo=9275646

My posts over the next few days will contain information on the following subjects:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

Lets start with Car Preparation. I am second owner 42 + years.

1966 L-79 327/350 All items replaced or rebuilt for 48 state trip 2010 and European trip 2012. Most installation work done by me except for engine work, steering box, ball joints/bushings and paint job 2010.

Original Engine .060 , new pistons 9.2 cr miles two years old
Over 300,000 miles, original crank, rods (40,000) miles on rebuild since 2010

All wheel bearings checked and in good condition
New stock shocks, bushings , new u-joints all shafts.

New DeWitt radiator , original steering box rebuilt , tie rods ends and sleeves replaced and new lower ball joints

Oil change and filter, transmission and rear end fluids checked...new plugs r45s, Stealth one wire TI, distributor rebuilt, new shaft, bushings.

New tires 215 R70 whitewalls, seats rebuilt and recovered and new soft top and weatherstrip.

I drive the car every day and feel I have a very reliable car.

I will not have a spare tire as I need the room for tents and supplies, I carry a small amount of tools that would allow me to fix most minor problems that may come up. I may have to add some emergency equipment, once I get the car through customs depending on German inspectors....

I believe that I can get any parts that I may need from local vendors or other Corvette owners who are hosting me.

Most of my restoration was done using Zip Corvette Supply. Good service and choice of repo or replacement for parts....Most vendors carry the same parts....it is service that is the most important and I have never had a problem with getting a return or money refunded.

My next post with be on shipping and paper work needed to take your car to Europe

I will be happy to answer any questions on car prep....that you may have....
Jack
Jackfit is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

#38 ·
Hi,

From a security perspective you will need a Euro compliant security kit (mandatory or recommended varies per country):

- Warning Triangle (Two are required in Spain). Generally mandatory. In countries where recommended, in the event of a break down, it is required to have them and you will be fined if you don't.

- Reflective Emergency Jacket (meeting EN 471 Standard), in the event of a breakdown. One per person in the car in some countries, one for the driver in all countries. One per person out of the vehicle in some countries.

- Spare set of light bulbs (by French law you should be able to replace any burnt out light bulbs on the side of the road. Legally speaking, LEO can immobilize the car on the side of the road if you don't have the spare bulb to replace a burnt out one. Although it has never happened to me). Some countries only put the spare set of LB as recommended. In the northern European countries I believe it also mandatory (because it is dark quicker).

- Euro compliant First Aid Kit (if I remember well, mandatory in Austria for all cars. Mandatory in Germany & Belgium for locally registered cars so I suggest you have it)

- Fire extinguisher. Mandatory in Belgium I believe. They may hassle with you more because of the age of the car.

- Rear fog lamps on the car are mandatory - but as a visitor you will probably get some leeway.

Why no come to France?

Regards,

Cédric

ps: just found this link via Google a second ago (was looking for a more official site)

http://www.consumabulbs.com/content/european_travel.php

Please understand that, generally, when it states "recommended", it means that a LEO can fine you if you need the object but don't have it. "Mandatory" means that you can be fined whether or not you need said object.

#39 ·
#42 · (Edited)
Ship and Car sets sail for Europe Tomorrow

Should I be be worried...?

The said it the ship was the latest model.....and the price was right..

It should arrive on the 27th.........that is what the shipping clerk said

Jack

PS

You can track the ship by going to this link and typing in MSC EMMA for vessel

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

#44 ·
The car is going to NEW YORK now !

Looks like the car needed the little bright lights of Broadway, before heading to Europe...

The schedule indicates Germany on the 26th....so I guess it is only 8 or 9 days to cross the Atlantic

Jack

#45 ·
Corvette Vagabond Journey update

Hello to All,

Here is the latest news on my car and its journey to Europe. I am having the car delivered to Drammen, Norway . The boat is late and I will not be able to start my trip on until the 6th of September. I have to cover 3,700 miles in 14 days to make it to Cap de Agde by 4 pm on September 21,

I must also visit the many corvette owners in Scandinavia, Germany , Italy, Switzerland on my way to France and the sea. I promised to attend an event and I will try to keep my word. Here is a map of the general area that I must cover in 14 days.... I can see it now , just like the classic French movie " Man and Women " driving like a mad man day and night rain shine.....on the way to the sea.....music playing in the backround .....

http://www.kritzerland.com/Man_Woman_Tracks/01 Un Homme Et Une Femme_inst.mp3

So, now you know how it will be.....any help or suggestions as you look at my map....the first link is the map of my proposed route. The next link is the map of corvette owners that want me to visit...you can see my problem...

I will travel the eastern part of Germany on the way south and western Germany and the Netherlands on the way north to a port to have my car shipped back to the USA.
I don't know the port yet....it depends on customs , I would like to send it back from Bremerhaven, Germany...but I must find that out....

But what fun it will be to solve the problem
Cheers

Map of drive to Cap de Agde from Oslo Just directional , I have not picked the roads yet.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&so...ia=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=5

Map of just a few of the stops in Europe...many more want me to stop by

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...0004b7fd41fe86eff6101&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=3&vpsrc=1

#46 ·
Travel Update

Ok folks, here is the latest news on trip schedules.

The car/container arrives in Bremerhaven , Germany on the 30th or so of September. Container is transferred to a tramp steamer, that takes it to Oslo, Norway by the 5th of September.

I will ship the car back from Norway the week of October 22-27

I wonder around the docks until I find the right place, unload car from container, show documents to Customs (no duty or taxes in Norway if you do not stay more than 1 year ) .

I fly into Oslo on the 3rd of September, it is about a 13 -15 hour flight from Portland ME / Newark / Oslo . Leave at 12:45 pm on Sunday and arrive at 10 am , Monday in Oslo.

Spend two days in and around Oslo waiting for car to arrive.

On the road I hope by the 6th heading north to Trondheim, Norway.

Members of the Corvette Club of Norway and AMCAR will be helping me get the car and attend little gatherings of car owners.

After that I have to watch out for bears, deer and moose on the roads, not very many people, just like Maine...

I will post some costs and details later....right now I am working on becoming a Cinematographic expert....should be fun....lots of pictures and 90 second videos coming your way...

Jack

#47 ·
Norway here I come

Hello to all,

It has been a hectic week , but it looks like the car will be in Oslo on the 5th of September. I should not have any problems with Norway Customs as I have all the documentation needed and Norway provides for foreign car use with US plates without duty taxes as long as you do not stay in residence for more than a year...I think 3 days should satisfy that requirement.

I can't wait to get behind the wheel again. It will be almost a month without my car...

Like many of you, my car was my stress relief , just go for a ride and things seem less pressing...

I will have 2 days in Oslo to see the sites and meet local corvette owners....hope to post some pictures soon

Jack

#48 ·
The ship is in range.....

Wait , Wait, just checked, the boat is in the North Sea , just west of Denmark , heading to Bremerhaven.

The MSC EMMA is in range when you look at the Location Map. Just type MSC EMMA in vessel box

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

It is due in 27th of August. aboard MSC EMMA

Then by coastal cargo ship to Oslo on the 3rd, arriving on the 5th of September.

I should be driving in 10 or 11 days....

Jack

#49 ·
The ship is in range.....

Hi, the car/container is in Bremerhaven waiting for a local cargo ship to pick it up and deliver it to Oslo on the 5th of September.

You can check by typing in MSC Sandra in vessel box on this site

I arrive on the 3rd.....should be on the road by the 6th , I hope

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ic.com/ais/#&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13463308471082

or this could be me... at airport....

#50 ·
Coincidentally, my business partner and his wife are leaving for Oslo this afternoon for a 10 day vacation. Wish it was me, I would find a way to meet up with you. Can't wait for the photo and video updates. Have a fantastic trip! :cheers:

#51 ·
I have a roof over my head !

I arrive in Oslo on the 3rd and I just got this post on the :

Corvette Club of Norway Forum

I arrive in Oslo on the 3rd and I just got this post on the :

Corvette Club of Norway Forum

norway_triumph wrote:

hi Jack - you can stay with my family & me for the days between your arrival & the car. I live 20 minutes from Gardermoen & 45 min drive from oslo city center. Unfortunately i can't take days of work to show you around or meet & greet at gardermoen, but i'll see if i can get you out at gardermoen (nothing promised tho) .

I'm more into old english cars than corvette's but have a full workshop at my place so sorting out the car shouldn't be too much of a problem. For interesting things in Oslo you could borrow one of my old english cars

My reply

Hello, life is good now that I know I will have a roof over my head....funny you should have English cars...my roommates when I was younger in NYC had English sports cars. A MG B 1968 Gold and a 1961 3000 Austin Heally....silver.. and in high school, my friend had a 59 TR .

That would be great....to see Oslo in an English car owned by a Norwegian with a Corvette....what a great way to start a trip.

Get ready , the ride is almost starting

Jack

#52 ·
hey jack

met you during a layover at the Newark airport.

Best of luck on this amazing journey, can't wait to see some pictures and hear about driving on those wild European roads!

#53 ·
See Oslo and fall in love

Long flight....great people taking care of me.....car delayed will not be in till September 12......I guess the car is taking a tour without me...

More information later....Oh by the way...Oslo has some of the most beautiful women in the world....not that I was looking ...too much...

Got a great tour of the US Embassy....very nice to know you have a place to go for help should you need it....

I could not get them to launch a Chinook to pick my car off the boat...

Just my luck...just have to shoot pictures around Oslo....taking a train to Bergen.....western Norway...lots of fjords. 7 hours ride over and under mountains...

Jack

#54 ·
Oslo street life and airport pickup

Here are some pictures of my friend Henning Kjensli and his cars. Road around Oslo in a 68 and how would you like to be picked up at the airport in a 57 Caddy...one of only 1800 ever made...sold new in 57 at over $12,000 now is worth a lot....

Some quick shots of Olso street life

Enjoy

Jack

#55 ·
On the Train to Bergen

Hello to all,

I am on the train to Bergen, the sun is still following me.....hope it will last all the way to Bergen. On my 48 state trip (90 days 20,000 miles) I only had one day of rain. Let hope it will be the same in Norway......it has been sunny since the day I have arrive

Henning and Jan-Ivar have been great and I want to thanks them very much....They made a bad situation of no car....almost fun.....

I have been to two car shows and have already met some some great guys , and have been able to put a face with a screen name...Gudmund Bolsgard (Fuelie 65) showed up with his 67 427 .

Jack

#58 ·
Travel Plans and Schedule

As you all know I am way behind schedule, I have had to make some very difficult decisions. I can not come to Europe without coming to Finland and Sweden.

Here is how I propose to do it....

I do not have time to drive to Finland this month. Here is a map of my route though Germany and returning from France. I have 35 days to travel from the south of France to Oslo where I will return to the US.

Schedule: The route on the map is just a general direction....it does not follow the roads that I may take to visit individuals and it is subject to change as I drive

I have 7 days to travel the 1,400 miles. Looking at my map you see that I will hit most of the spots in Germany the way south and Germany again on my way north to Oslo

Sassnitz Germany September 14
Berlin September 14
Nuremberg ?
Munich September ?
Stuttgart ?
Zurich ?
Italy ?
Monaco 19
Cap de Agde France September 21

September 21 to October 19 I will be traveling through France, Netherlands , Belgium and Germany and Denmark

Copenhagen Oct 19
Stockholm Oct 20
Helsinki Oct 22
Tempere / Jyvaskyla Oct 23
Oulu Oct 24
Sundsvall Sweden Oct 26
Oslo Norway Oct 27

Plane to US Oct 29

Here is a map of my travel from Sassnitz Germany to France and to Germany and Scandinavia from the south of France

https://maps.google.no/maps/ms?msa=0&msi...t=m&z=4&vpsrc=1

I hope you understand my change of plans....the car coming in on the 12th of September has made my trip a very difficult one to execute.

Please pray to the gods that the weather will hold up and I will not need spikes and chains for my corvette.

Keep the light on and the fires warm......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.