Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7 Z06 and ZR1

12K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  the machine 
#1 ·
Got a new Motor Trend in the mail today with this little sidebox:

The Corvette Stingray is finally here and it's a significant update, but it's just the first step. We're already hearing whispers from the Warren plan about the next Z06 and ZR1.
word is, the next Z06 will keep its monster 7.0-litre natrally aspirated engine, but with even more power. In fact, we hear it coiuld jump from today's 505 hp to as high as 600. The decision won't be made, though, until they get the final number for the next ZR1s supercharged V-8. That engine, we're told, will be an evolution of the new LT1 V-8 in the base C7. We can only hope it will revive the LT5 moniker of the original ZR-1s engine.
The Z06/ZR1 output logic basically works like this: If the ZR1 makes 675 hp or so, the Z06 will get 550. If the ZR1 cracks 700 hp, the Z06 will crack 600. Anyone who knows GM knows how this works: The top-dog Corvette will always be protected even from its own variants.
The Corvette team has so far refused to comment on the next Z06 and ZR1, but we're told the first variant, likely the Z06, is at least a year out so as not to trample on the base car.

Reactions: BJC99Hardtop
#2 ·
HP Times!

That's an interesting sidebar. I remember back when the C6 Z06 was in it'ts final stages of development and that at the time of testing the LS7 was making 600HP. One or several of the Corvette Racing Team drivers who drove the Z06 recommended reducing the horsepower to be more manageable for street use. Three years we get the ZR1 with 638hp.

Would love to see 600hp in the Z06, but I think we will probably be looking at ~ 550hp.;)

#3 · (Edited)
Forget the rag magazines, just follow the SRT Viper and Viper GTS if you want to anticipate what GM will offer in the next Z06 and ZR1. GM seems to have been caught with their pants down, now a "follower" instead of a leader with the C7 technology....:thud:......and Viper seems to currently be leading the game with releasing information.

I just recently read the "SRT Viper GTS-R: Birth of a World Class Race Car Parts 1 and 2".......interview with Viper GTS-R Lead Designer and Design Manager.

As with the wide track version of Viper, the GTS-R, I would expect Corvette to also follow with a W i d e r track.

I would expect Z06 to be near 550Hp and a ZR1, "Blue Devil" to reach devil numbers 666Hp :devil: just so GM could reclaim HP bragging rights.

Since Viper, "Porsched" up their interior options list with competition seats, various interior and exterior color schemes, carbon fiber extras, as the Vette followed ....I would expect to see competition harness belts, maybe GM offers them in pretty colors to match seat stitching, but how will they deal with the competition "expiration date" and recertification. That..is a life safety liability issue.

Just investigate ALMS GT competition cars, and you can surmise the direction Corvette must follow....

When the C7-Z debuts next year in the 2014's ALMS series, the racing will be interesting to watch because without specific paint schemes, except for BMW and Porsche, you will not be able to distinguish the differences in Viper, Aston (should they choose to return), Jaguar, Ferrari or Corvette. Well.......except for the Corvette's ass end of course. :laughing:

#15 · (Edited)
Seriously?
I will bet BIG money that the Viper is about #10 on GM's "wonder what they're doing?" list. GM is in the selling cars business, and as such, looks at cars that SELL. Ferrari sells more 458's in the U.S. (by a huge margin) than Dodge (now SRT) sells Vipers. In the Viper's ENTIRE history, they have sold 2,000 cars IN A YEAR one time. Not exactly a target, IMO.

Jimmy

PS. As far as MT goes, I wouldn't place much stock in any of their prognostications. Anyone remember the photoshopped JSB C6 (with Transformer nose) MT gave us as THE C7 just this past September?

#7 ·
Meanwhile Motortrend is salivating over a "Low Cost" Corvette with a 5.3 and down graded interior.

I don't get it. Look back three years ago on this very site, you had all sorts of threads on how to add power seats, heated seats, etc to Z06s. Why? Because the track oriented Z06 did not offer those amenities because they added weight. And because to many the most expensive model means the most luxurious. The number of enthusiasts that clamor for a stripped down version are infinitesimal when compared with the buyer who wants A/C, power seats, quality audio and a supple ride.

#17 ·
All true about Viper's past. However, Fiat owns them now and they understand the importance of a performance halo model.

I was surprised they didn't kill the Viper and/or tack the name onto a version of an Italian based sports car. They didn't, so IMO, they are "all in" on Viper and will make moves (eventually) to raise the annual production numbers to a level that makes a profit. They could do this with a lesser priced Hemi model very easily.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if they choose to devote significant resources to Viper for a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.