Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Gas mileage on a 75 sting ray

15K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  bobs77vet 
#1 ·
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone knew the approximate gas mileage for a 75 sting ray (350 ci engine of course). I've recently started driving mine to work instead of my dad's ford van because of the insane gas prices. I know the vette gets better mileage, but I was just curious as to the actual numbers.

#4 ·
That's what my '72 L48 Muncie 336 rear vert got, minus a bit...2-3 mpg...and I can say the ONLY way to improve really significantly is/was to put a basic stock L98 DPFI sytem on there, and get a speed denisty computer set up for a MILD CAM, and obviously go closed loop, and have another ~80+ hp and see the fuel economy go to 24 highway...no lie, and about 18 around town....and I was going pretty good, around town....

BTW, that Qjet was in pretty good shap, good plugs, ran/idled smooth, not ruch, no smoke....everything LOOKED fine....
I guess maybe IF I could have gotten a wide band O2 sensor some 12 years ago, I could have played around to get it close to the L98 setup....

now I have a hotrod 355 mild roller, and lucky to push 20 on the highway....and frankly given the traffic/cops/idiots/etc....I wish I had a milder cam again....can't justify more bux out though to now REDUCE the engine power.....

#3 ·
I drove my '69 to a cruise night last Saturday. It was almost empty, I added 5 gallons, drove 24 miles to and from and it's almost empty again. I guess that's about 5/24=.2 MPG. :surprised Your mileage may differ. (I hope it does).
But then again, I was on the gas pretty hard too. I really like hearing that BB talk to me.:D

:cheers:

#8 ·
Your mileage isn't quite as bad as you think ...

MPG is Miles per Gallon ...

Since your went 24 Miles on 5 Gallons, then your MPG = 24/5, or about 4.8 MPG, not 0.2 MPG.

And you thought you were getting poor gas mileage! :laughing:

Steven

#6 ·
running a 275 HP crate engine that was already in my 74 when I got it. Rebuilt the Q-Jet myself and tuned myself.... last 100 mile trip on state highways not interstate I got 19 mpg. Interstate I actually get a lil better than that. in my smallish town i get around 14. I run a turbo400 tranny with a 2500 stall converter with 3.08 gears. :buhbye:

#9 ·
:spanked:

Fat fingers, when combined with posting prior to morning coffee, may cause errors in mathmatical calculations.

4.8 MPG??:cool: :excited:

#10 ·
A guy in my old vette club had an L88, aluminum headed monster, drove it like a madman...got 5 mpg, then bitched about it....we all laughed our asses off about it....got you toes outta those secondaries you be getting better mileage....ya think??:crazy: :laughing: :rolling: :thud: :smack :cheers:

#12 ·
Crunched some numbers and it worked out to 8mpg. And thats "cruising" 55-65 on a two lane and 75-85 on the four lane highway to work and back.

#13 ·
before i switched engines my 77 got 12 mpg around town and about 15 on the highway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.