Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Sidepipe liability???

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  gtr1999 
#1 ·
Was thinking-lets say you drive your c3 with sidepipes to the beach or wherever and after you park it some kid comes burns him/herself on the headers-or an adults leg brushes against them-is the owner liable? :huh:

#4 ·
:agree:

Besides, the only spot on my sidepipes that gets hot enough to burn some one is right behind the front tires wherer the collectors come together. They're only hot enough to burn for a few minutes. Within 5 minutes, you can put your hands on them.

#8 ·
Boy do I know the answer here! Back in 1981 a girlfriend burned her leg on my 73. Not wanting a scar and her mother works in the local ER, she went to the ER for treatment. Ex-gf came after me for insurance co. information, I guess they paid.

4 years ago I parked in "No-Man's Land" at a shopping center. Wouldn't you know that somebody had to park within 3 ft of me (when there was a hundred or more empty spaces). A teenage girl got out the rear door of parents car and backed up into the pipes, I just left the car when it happened. Two days later I received a request from the local police to provide my insurance information. I like the look and sound of side pipes but I'd never put them on any car that sits so low like the vette. When you're tall it's very difficult to get in and out of a low car and not touch the pipes, I have a small welders cloth to drape over the pipes when getting out if wearing shorts in the summer.

#10 ·
have them Jet-Hot coated inside and out. My headers are and you can touch them a few mins after shutting the car off.

#15 ·
I had a Kustom (brand name) 4" side exhaust system similar to the Hooker setup on my '67 427/435 that I owned from '70 to '72. Had dates in it and don't recall anyone including myself getting burned although certainly those pipes were hot.

Interesting experiences from those who had people burned.

#19 ·
I had chrome headers and pipes, no mufflers on my 72 when I bought the car way back in '78. I hated them, and almost had a 3 year old run up to touch the car one time. Make no mistake they will get hot enough to blister your skin in a second. Why do you think GM made covers for them, they would have been sued. That was the last time I used them. I removed them and sold them for the first $100 offered and never looked back. My son has a set on his car now and had them coated, I still hate them!

Personally I think that a quality undercar exhaust looks, sounds, and performs better but that's just my opinion, just like too many c2's run factory pipes and bolt on wheels. To each his own just be careful if you have little kids around, they don't know any better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.