Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Can a C3 compete with a C6 Z06? Video added 8/10/12

44K views 205 replies 32 participants last post by  phantomjock 
#1 ·
Can a C3 compete with a C6 Z06? That was the question some one ask a year or so ago. And if yes at what cost.

So I set out to find out. Including the cost of the car I set myself a budget of 30K and I am well below that figure.

Here is what I have so far.

1971 Corvette coupe
383 ci sbc
Eagle rotating Assembly
KB 18cc dished pistons
Comp forced induction cam
MSD 6AL ignition
MSD boost timing control
Edelbrock 750 CFM carb.
Holly 144 blower
AFR heads
Oil cooler
Long tube headers
3" collectors
2.5" exhaust

NV3500 5 speed trans.
3.08 rear end
C5 rims and tires.

Front suspension VB&P
Rack and pinion steering with hydro boost
Dual mount 8 pt. adj. transverse spiring
1.125" anti sway bar
Tubular off set A arms
QA1 single adj. shocks
Ploy Bushings
C5 rotors and calipers
Hawk pads

Rear suspension VB&P
Dual mount 8 pt. adj. transverse spiring
No sway bar
Off set trailing arms
Adj. smart struts
QA1 single adj. shocks
Ploy Bushings
Rear brake bias adj. valve
C3 calipers and rotors
Hawk pads

Holly 14 lb. 95 GPH fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator.

Hand built Cold air cowl induction hood.
Aux. elect. fan
HEI distributor

Custom built Dash
Sparco seat
5 pt harness.

Roll Cage. Coming as soon as I complete my TIG welding class.:D

See less See more
#53 ·
Congrats on your record setting performance!!! :cheers:

Sounds like you had fun and didn't break anything, which is the ultimate goal. That car is going to be a beast as you fine tune it! :devil:

#57 ·
That's pretty awesome!! Congrats on the record and congrats on building such a great C3!! I can't wait to keep seeing these posts as this build only gets meaner!!!:thumbsup:

#77 ·
Iburke, I'm surprised with the months of nice weather left that they don't have an event left? We still have a Sept and Oct. Do you do any SCCA TT events?

:thumbsup: a record holder

Not that there are no events left... There is no money left. Being retired and a victim of the failing economy.(living on a fixed income)Well...

I need race tires, am building a different carburetor, have an electrical problem(no gages), and want to change to rear end ratio.

There are events in Hastings, Hallet, and Topeka. I plan on attending the October event in Topeka,(not taking the car) as it will be the yearly award event.

#79 ·
OK guys a little help. Buying tires for a stock daily driver is easy. Buying race tires is really confusing. Just when you think you know, they change the rules...

Is there a place to find information on the differance between R6, R80, R100, C51, C71, and the R400 series???????:huh:

And What is the differance between a 245/45ZR17 R6 compound and a 245/620R17 R80 compound?????????:huh:

:thud:

#83 ·
Why stick with a 245 width tire? You can fit a 285 up front with no rub...

#85 ·
I have to stick with a min of 17" rims to clear the brake calipers on the front. I am running 245/45zr17 on the front now with 8 1/2" rims. I could go to 255's on the same rims but not much larger. I have a set of 9 1/2"-18 rims I may try, then I could go up to 295's

#95 ·
Yes thats my point. I have totally worn out a new $2000 set of Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on the track in one week end. I can not afford that any more. I'm just looking for some thing I can practice on that has better grip than a street tire, at a reasonable price. I'm not looking to win every race, just to be competable and have fun pushing the newer cars with.

#98 ·
I've seen some of the late model Vettes running shaved tires from the Tire Rack. One of the Z-06's had on toyo and the other guy had Nitto's

They told me that they could run them all year which is 10 days of events for the local SCCA in TT classes.

Shaved tires last longer because you are not tearing off the sides of the blocks
So 10 days of events would be about 40 20min sessions. Do you think I could get that many cycles out of a good set of slicks.

Do you know the difference between R6 and R80 rubber or is it just manufacturers designations?

#101 ·
OK what are the thoughts on a set of 4

Hankook
Ventus Z214

Size: 245/40ZR17
Race/Track, C51 Medium
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: Treadwear: 40
Traction: C
Temperature: A40 C A

Delivered to my door for $228.50 each?

#103 ·
So far we have decided that a tire is that black round thing around a rim. and the sticker they are the more they cost and the faster they wear out...

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

I love this sport.

I missed this week ends event, but if I dont eat for a month or so I could make the October event in Topeka...:spanked::spanked::spanked:

#104 ·
saw pics of an aweful lot of canned goods in your pantry, you should be able to avoid the grocery store for a month :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.