Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

GM aims new Corvette beyond successful plumbers - not my title

7K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Andonis 
#1 ·
DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- The Chevrolet Corvette, once the coolest of cool rides on Route 66 and the rest of America's roads, has suffered the cruelest of fates: It's known as an old man's toy.

Even the head of Chevy marketing acknowledges that too many people see it as the car of "the successful plumber."

General Motors is determined to change that.

In two days, Chevrolet will unveil the new Corvette, which so far GM has teased as having a sleeker exterior, a bigger engine and a dramatically improved interior.

GM design chief Ed Welburn this week unfurled a poster on a table at his office in suburban Detroit showing images of the remodeled Corvette along with Stingrays from 1959 and 1963.

"I want this image on every kid's wall," he said in advance of the Jan. 13 unveiling of the new car on the eve of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The redesigned Corvette, code-named C7, arrives as one of 13 new Chevrolets that GM is bringing out in the United States this year to update showrooms that have grown full of old models left over from the automaker's 2009 bankruptcy reorganization.

The company needs new products to help stave off declining U.S. market share that reached an 88-year low in 2012.

The challenge for GM's Chevrolet brand is to draw on the strength of Corvette's 60-year heritage as a dream-inspiring racer while overcoming its recent baggage as an afterthought to Volkswagen AG's Audi and Porsche.

GM is betting new styling, improved interiors and marketing efforts, including aiming the car straight at young people through placement in video games, will help.

Boomer brand

"The big thing is bringing people to the brand and bringing a lot of energy to the brand," Welburn said. "People will look a bit differently at Chevrolet if Corvette is an even more relevant vehicle, a vehicle that is very inspiring, that is on the leading edge in so many ways."

While enthusiasm is strong among some Baby Boomers who remember the car from their youth, Welburn said that somewhere along the way Corvette posters fell off the bedroom walls of young people.

He remembered a visit of a friend's son to his garage and seeing his excitement for the Chevy Camaro while ignoring an old Corvette.

"The challenge is that it is thought of as an older person's car," said Jessica Caldwell, an industry analyst with Edmunds.com.

The 1953 Corvette.
About 46 percent of Corvette buyers last year through October were 55 years or older compared with 22 percent of Audi R8 and 30 percent of Porsche 911 customers, according to Edmunds.

Introduced in 1953, Corvette production peaked in 1979 at 53,807, according to GM.

It has been a long time since Buz and Tod toured the U.S. in a Corvette looking for adventure in "Route 66," the early 1960s television show that helped thread the sports car through American culture.

Clouded market

"As time has gone on, the market has become much more clouded; the Corvette doesn't stand out as much anymore as it used to," said Jerry Burton, who has written books on the car.

Last year, U.S. sales of the Corvette, which starts at $49,600, rose 7.4 to 14,132, about a quarter of its peak.

Deliveries of the Porsche 911 Carrera, which starts at $82,100, rose 65 percent to 7,784 while the Audi R8, which starts at $114,200, declined 30 percent to 802.

The importance of those cars goes beyond sales figures. The cool factor for the 911 and the R8 helps lift the image of the entire Porsche and Audi lines, while Corvette has lost that aura.

Chevrolet's 1963 Corvettes
Neglected brand

As GM's business struggled leading up to its 2009 bankruptcy reorganization, Corvette wasn't always a priority.

"We haven't been managing the perception of the brand," Chris Perry, head of Chevrolet marketing in the U.S., said of the 'Vette.

"To hit our sales target, we don't really need to advertise Corvette," Perry said. "There are a lot of people waiting to buy a Corvette, but to help change the perception of Corvette and help change the perception of Chevrolet, we'll definitely be putting some marketing behind it."

On the Internet, Corvette gets lapped by exotic sports car brands.

Corvette's Facebook page had 1 million "likes" on Jan. 10 while Chevrolet as a brand had 1.7 million. Ferrari had 10 million, Porsche had 4.9 million and Audi had 6.2 million.

A separate Facebook page for Audi's R8 has 1.48 million "likes."

Other parts of cyberspace are more harsh.

Google's autofill asks "Is a Corvette an old man's car?" and returns with 2.36 million search results.

When a group of fourth-grade boys at Neinas Elementary School in Detroit talked about cars last month, they wanted to know about the Chevrolet Camaro and exotic brands, such as VW's Bugatti, that they're familiar with from video games.

Only one child mentioned an interest in the Corvette, and he got teased.

The 1958 Corvette heavily influenced by longtime GM designer Chuck Jordan.

Photo credit: GM
'Successful plumber'

"Because of the heritage of Corvette is a little bit more of a Midwest sports car, the successful plumber," Perry said. "That's one of the things we're going to change, especially on the coasts."

In trend-setting cities such as Los Angeles and Miami, he wants the new Corvette to attract attention from buyers in their 30s and 40s making around $150,000 annually, while still appealing to loyalists.

Part of GM's plan to make the car more aspirational to younger people includes promoting the Corvette in video games, Perry said.

GM worked with Sony Corp. to make available in November a camouflaged version of the new Corvette in the popular PlayStation 3 video game "Gran Turismo."

The new version of the Corvette will be available Jan. 14 for the video game, Perry said. The real car reaches showrooms by year's end.

Young man's car

"It's amazing how these young people influence that older group," John Fitzpatrick, Corvette's marketing manager, said in an interview. "It's the old saying, 'Nobody wants to be seen driving an old man's car, but everybody wants to be seen driving a young man's car."'

Corvette's legacy may help it with young people who recognize it as a status car and the redesign should help bump consideration for other Chevrolet models, said Alexander Edwards, president of Strategic Vision's auto division.

"The Corvette is keeping Chevrolet relevant in the minds of Gen Y, even if current communication and product hasn't really spoken to them the way that GM would hope that they would," he said. "It's very important."

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette will have its world debut in an industrial warehouse near downtown Detroit on Sunday.
Actual driving

Beyond the pixel-race track, the Corvette is designed for real-world performance that actual buyers expect.

While GM hasn't unveiled the new Corvette yet, it has hinted at what's in store.

Designers and engineers sculpted the new car in ways to improve aerodynamics, reducing lift for greater high-speed stability, GM said in a November press release.

"This new car is like Corvette has gone back to the gym and gotten fit," Welburn said this week. "It's like this athlete that has been in training and it is lean, muscular."

GM has promised that the sports car's new 6.2-liter V-8 engine will make it the most powerful standard Corvette ever with 450 horsepower along with being the quickest with a zero to 60 in less than four seconds. All of this while being the most fuel-efficient Corvette to date, better than 26 miles (42 kilometers) per gallon on the highway. "From the marketing standpoint, we have the goods," Perry said. "We have the product that delivers on that aspiration, now we just have to change that perception."

Interior design

Inside, there are hints of improvement as well.

Car & Driver said in its January issue that Corvette's "interior designers blew their budget on cut-and-sewn leather finish materials, a large touch screen, and a suede-wrapped steering wheel."

Dave Sullivan, an industry analyst with consulting firm AutoPacific Inc., has seen drawings and early prototypes of the interior and said the new Corvette should be able to compete "on a global scale."

"One of the biggest shortcomings of the last one was always the interior," he said. "For a vehicle that can cost into six-figures, it had an interior that looked like it came from something under $20,000."

There are signs of excitement and hope for the halo car among those of buying age.

Tickets to a special event unveiling the new model, with proceeds going to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, sold out in about 10 minutes, with donations to get in reaching $1,200, according to GM.

A Google search for "new Corvette" yesterday resulted in 90 million results.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130111/OEM04/301119797#ixzz2Hi3fVaiW

Reactions: wachuko
#3 ·
Kinda like GM has just flipped most us the bird.

This attitude and the design of the rear has been what has had me pissed off at GM for the last year. Maybe some of you now understand my rants.

Plumbers and a hell of a lot of other successful "middle" Americans have made Cheverolet, and Corvette pretty successful. I guess we'll see how this attitude translates to sales.

#5 ·
Kinda like GM has just flipped most us the bird. This attitude and the design of the rear has been what has had me pissed off at GM for the last year. Maybe some of you now understand my rants.

Plumbers and a hell of a lot of other successful "middle" Americans have made Cheverolet, and Corvette pretty successful. I guess we'll see how this attitude translates to sales.
:agree: W:surprisedW :agree:
:thud: Absofulutely :thud:

#4 ·
Although I think we can all agree that young drivers will more than likely never be able to afford a Corvette, I do believe that GM needs to do something to create a lust for the car amongst younger people.

But its not just all about Corvette...it's about getting kids brand loyal from the beginning with fun offerings that they can afford. The V6 Camaro is a good start, but there needs to be something even more "entry level." Get people loyal to CHEVY and then when those young kids grow up, they'll want a Corvette.

#7 ·
What makes you think that? It's still BUILT here. Just because it has global influence doesn't change that it's still a V8 powered American BRUTE, compared to other European exotic options.

#9 ·
Seems about right...but GM needs to create the DESIRE in young buyers to want one when they finally CAN afford it.

And if young kids think it's an "old man's car" or whatever, then even when they can afford it, they won't get one because "it's always been an old man's car and I'm not old."

Now, I am not saying GM should abandon their core market on the gamble of attracting new owners, but at least attempting to strike a balance would be nice.

#10 ·
Sometimes the truth hurts.

This article is absolutely spot-on when it comes to the general perception that the Corvette is an "old man's car" and for those with somewhat unrefined tastes. I know that sounds insulting, but remember, I'm talking about perception, not reality (but perception is everything when it comes to sales and marketing).

I've told the story once before about a colleague of mine who was in his early 20s and drove a used C5 Corvette. It was four or five years ago, and he was 23-24 years old at the time, and he never heard the end of the ribbing. People were constantly asking him questions like: "where's your AARP card?" or "do you get a senior discount yet?" Last I talk to him (about three years ago), he was planning on selling it and in the market for a used Viper. And just a couple months ago I was channel surfing and came across some cheesy auction/car-restoration reality show on Discovery, and a group from some auto shop were looking at an old run down C3 and deciding if it was worth restoring, but they decided against it because "vettes are an old guy's car." That's just the way it is. For a couple decades now, people have seen the Corvette as an old man's car.

#11 ·
:agree:

I'm 33 and I STILL get ribbed by people for having one. From all types of people.

Fiance is 34 and she constantly gets questioned "Why a Corvette?" Although a red 77 driven by a woman gets lots of other attention too.

#23 ·
I think I was about 34 or 35 when I was able to afford a used C5. It was a dream realized. I would say the comments I received were about 50/50. About half of the comments I received were VERY complimentary. The other half, no so much. I still remember hearing "It's a good thing you were so young when you bought it or I would have assumed you were having a middle age crisis". I got a lot of "Where's your big gold chains at?", and "Look at Mr. Moneybags". More often than not I was asked "What are you compensating for?" What is really interesting to me is that I never, NEVER got any comments like that when I owned a Firebird, nor when I bought a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T. Both cars were mildly customized, my Challenger is a little loud now :D but not 1 time have I been asked what I'm compensating for, or asked if I'm having a middle age crisis, etc. Yet none of my previous "fast" cars were any less bold. Among women it was again split. I had more than a few requests for rides and a lot of fawning over my red C5. However, I had probably just as many tell me that it was an "old man's car". After several years with my Challenger I am STILL constantly complimented on it nearly everywhere I go. I've never been told anything negative. It has also been 100% problem free. Not one defect. What's the end result? I'm hoping the C7 will drive down the market on the C6 Grand Sports low enough I can afford a used one. Despite all of the flak I took for my Corvette. I miss it. And with the exception of certain custom jobs, the new GS is IMHO the best looking Corvette they have made. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
This story might be instructive. I traded in my 1966 Coupe on a 1968 Convertible in the Fall of 1967. The attention that car received was incredible (check out my pics). People would change lanes like crazy just to get a look at it, when I parked it and returned it would be loaded with fingerprints. It was so leading edge it blew everyone away who saw it. Fast forward to 2004, September, I take delivery of my C6 when it was probably one of the first ones on the road. It got no attention whatsover; it was like it was invisible. What this means is that unless the Vette is out on the leading edge of design it just will not excite. Let's see what happens with the C6, even though it appears to be much edgier than the C6 it still appears to be evolutionary with a C6 clearly being underneath it all (like it was clear that a C5 was under the c6). Hope I am wrong.

#27 ·
Horrible thought process

So they f***ed up the traditional round tail light theme and tried to get a Ferrari side view to attract a younger group of guys???. Man I'm 29 and will
tell you C6 down to C3's are the best designs of Corvette EVER. I fell in love with it ever since I use to watch The A-Team as little kid with Face Mans white C4. What is WRONG with GM dude. The insurance in itself will kill many young guys wallets ANYWAY so why aim for them??:spanked:
:rolleyes:

#32 ·
I've bought GM cars all my life. My C6 just might be my last one ... at least until this current regime hits the unemployment line.

#33 · (Edited)
I think the article has some valid points. When I was 17 back in 1984, I had to have the new C4. Everyone wanted that car I even had the poster of the car on my wall. Unfortunately I don’t see this with the younger generation. They all say it’s an old man’s car. I have owned 3 so far: 80-C3 L82, 2003 Z06, 2006 Z06. The last two Corvettes my friends & wife made fun of me. I hope GM can turn it around. Currently I drive a 2011 Lotus Evora S, BMW V10 M5, 06 Porsche 911s. The Lotus gets so many crazy looks. it makes me feel uncomfortable. I had some idiot follow me home then asked if he could take a closer look after I pulled it in the garage:WTF I told my wife I want the new C7 IF the interior & the car is improved. Her stupid comment was will it come with a box of DEPENDS.:smack

#34 ·
I think the article has some valid points. When I was 17 back in 1984, I had to have the new C4. Everyone wanted that car I even had the poster of the car on my wall. Unfortunately I don’t see this with the younger generation. They all say it’s an old man’s car. I have owned 3 so far: 80-C3 L82, 2003 Z06, 2006 Z06. The last two Corvettes my friends & wife made fun of me. I hope GM can turn it around. Currently I drive a 2011 Lotus Evora S, BMW V10 M5, 06 Porsche 911s. The Lotus gets so many crazy looks. it makes me feel uncomfortable. I had some idiot follow me home then asked if he could take a closer look WTF? I told my wife I will want the new C7 if the interior & the car is improved. Her stupid comment was will it come with a box of DEPENDS.:WTF
thanks for this. I was only 7 in 84, but my dream car was the C4. It feels good to read just about anything /reviews/opinions/experience about this. Can't help it.
I like Evora, too, but c'mon I wouldn't follow anyone for just the sake of that. Yesterday driving home a fully black coupe BMW prototype vehicle passed me, I could easily follow, but why. I'm not that type.
5 mins later I saw a brand new cammoed Mercedes proto parked close to my place, but I didn't even stop. Maybe I should have, cause the pics would mean the world to some peeps who like that car.

#35 ·
Magnum P.I. did for one generation what Route 66 did for mine: Provide a "goal" vehicle for millions of young guys. Route 66 was on TV when I was roughly 8-11 years old. The stories were great, but the star for me was the Corvette. I knew from that young age that I would have a Corvette some day. During middle and high schools, my best friend and I determined that during our college years, one of us would get our hands on a Vette and we would drive across the country just like the Route 66 guys. It didn't happen, primarily because even a used Vette was out of range of guys under 25 due to very expensive insurance. But when I turned 26, I got my Vette. Another generation fell for the Ferrari 308 GTS - a much harder car to lay one's hands on, but I'll bet there are thousands of middle aged owners of these cars that first fell in love through Magnum P.I.

If Chevy wants to see C7 posters on kids' walls, it needs to get one front and center on a show that boys from 12-20 will watch. These days, that's probably not a drama. It's probably some kind of reality show where a couple of young guys travel around in a C7 doing something funny or adventurous. It wouldn't necessarily pay off in the short term, but if they want to get the next generation interested in something other than drifters or mpg cars, they're going to have to start now.

#36 ·
i never heard of this Route 66 TV show, but you got me interested. If there is a Vette I have to see it
Thanks for sharing. Wow I got so excited... really:buhbye:

PS
Other than this I really agree. When I was 8 or so I was drawing many cars. I sent some to Chevrolet. They sent me a big white Corvette poster and a black truck. I became in love with Corvette even more. And this love still goes on.

#57 ·
The Wraith

They actually forgot a great Charlie Sheen movie called The Wraith made in 1986. I'm certain many of our forum members have seen it but if not there is a DVD out for it and I won't mention anymore other than the 1975 Corvette coupe with what looks to be a C4 rear bumper panel and a Daytona straight head lamp conversion and hood.

#53 · (Edited)
Brilliant on GM/Sony's part. Symbiotic branding...where two or more companies that have strong brand equity...market each other's products. It's more than making gamers aware of performance. They're communicating brand value/identity.

Auto makers with the strongest brands are:

1) Toyota
2) Mercedes
3) BMW

Toyota is the 10th most recognized global brand.

#54 ·
A lot of you guys are way to sensitive. The point of the article is that GM would like the car to be cross shopped with Audi, BMW, Porsche etc when those that have the funds are making a purchase decision. The article goes on to show that the Corvette is not even considered when someone is droping big $$ on a new Audi, Porsche or BMW. All GM is saying here is they would like to be one of the cars considered and the only way they can get back into that group is to be considered relevant, today it is really not considered that way...Even my 17 yr old daughter says oh its a Corvette. Now the C7 she is absolutely in love with as am I...Maybe GM has actually struck the right chord here.

You want a mid engine Corvette one day then the Coevette today needs to relevant and not only to us Corvette guys.

#55 ·
Good point. I agree:thumbsup: I own a BMW, LOTUS, AUDI & a PORSCHE. I also have owned 3 Vettes in my life. I belong to all types of car clubs and most European car owners would never consider crossing over and buying a vette. Every time I tell them hey I am thinking about buying another C6 ZO6 they say I am crazy. I understand why GM wants to bring in another group of buyers. I bet they feel just maybe they will cross over and buy other GM products like a new Cadillac instead of a 3 series BMW. In order for GM to grow they need to get the European crowd and the younger generation wanting a new C7. If the new C7 looks as good as the pictures I will have one this time next year... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.