Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

New C3 product suggestions

13K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  brent319 
#1 ·
I just got a 4 lb fiberglass 70 Camaro dash. It looks exactly like the factory. I thought it would be great if someone made the c3 three piece dash in fiberglass.

With a lot of guys trying to cut out weight this might be a popular item.

A second item that doesn't seem to be on the market is fiberglass door panels. The factory door panels seem fairly heavy and don't hold up well.

#3 ·
This VFN dash I bought looks really good and is light and strong. Guys mount gages into them by just drilling holes. Cost was $250 plus shipping. I thought something similar for a c3 would sell well. Contoured fg door panels would look better than al panels.

#5 ·

Here is the 4lb VFN dash in my Camaro. 250$ plus s&h, and it fits very good. But took a lot of trimming.

I asked if they would make a c3 dash if I gave them the parts. Basically they were too busy, but maybe in the off season. I'd send them door panels too if they were interested.

#7 ·
I saw a picture of John Greenwood sitting in a Lemans car with a nice generic fabricated dash (Corvette Racing Legends), so I searched the web a bit and found a photo of it.

Here are some other dash layouts the Greenwoods had in C3's:

#9 ·
I just got a 4 lb fiberglass 70 Camaro dash. It looks exactly like the factory. I thought it would be great if someone made the c3 three piece dash in fiberglass.

With a lot of guys trying to cut out weight this might be a popular item.

A second item that doesn't seem to be on the market is fiberglass door panels. The factory door panels seem fairly heavy and don't hold up well.
rtj - is on to something there. And if you look at the number of 'Lambo interiors available on eBay - there is a market for some similar items. You'll note they include dash, tunnel, door skins, and sometimes headliners.

Frankly, I've always been amazed at the interior mods that use MDF as core material. There are better, easier, Significantly Lighter materials as core to work. These meet the adage, "Add more Lightness."

[Note to self: Get this chassis, IRS, brake set, and cage done and build a C3 Interior Kit]

#17 ·
I'd like to see a '78 dash done in fiberglass or CF that would keep the same flowing curves of the original and accept the stock instrument cluster/console for under the $499 that it's going to cost to replace my cracking OEM vinyl covered unit.

I'd also like to redo the center instrument cluster as individual modular units, i.e. recreate the faux aircraft look with the real thing, aluminum bezels that slide into a rack secured with real allen head screws instead of molded plastic. (This one I could probably do myself).:devil:

#19 ·
I think fiberglass or carbon fiber would be more desireable.

If you look at the fiberglass camaro dash I posted, guys drill them and put gages straight into the dash and it is only 4 lbs. I'm not sure plastic would be much better than the factory dash or door panels.

But, that is just my opinion.

#20 ·
I can think of things like the T-Top panels, console sides (carpeted on a 78), T-top header bar pads, etc that are made of compressed fiber paper covered in vinyl, that could be done in ABS, (in fact at one time I found the T-Top center trim piece made in black ABS, but wasn't ready to redo the interior yet.)

Pretty much anything that uses that moisture and odor absorbing (read: mold) pressed fiber paper as a base could be replaced with molded plastic.

Other thoughts: A-Pillar(?) instrument clusters, Door panels to replace the 78 Deluxe OEM panels with angled speaker boxes in place of the carpet storage pockets....

#23 ·
Not mine, I just did an image search and found this, but I think it looks good.

Another nice feature would be if it could be removed easily. I know I tried working on the clutch mechanism under the dash and it was uncomfortable when the dash was installed.

#27 ·
:surprised GTFO!!

How important could a gauge possibly be that is clear across the cabin?

Neat looking...but damn!!!

#32 · (Edited)
I am seriously considering starting a side business catering to the C3. What do you all want that you cant buy now or is is overpriced? I am serious no bs.
Bolt in 1968 style fender gills to replace the ugly egg crates on 70/72 cars. Saw a pic but I can't find it now, Ecklers used to have them but no longer. ...please

Hey, the pic I saw is curbys avatar! He sent me to josh to have them made as he has the molds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.