Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Grinding noise on Right turn - anyone had this?

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigMay60 
#1 ·
When I turn to the right there is a "grinding" type noise from the left side of the drivers seat. Anyone have any ideas?

#5 ·
weird noise

Are you sure it's coming from your seat and not from the front, around the
wheel, possible a wheel bearing or brake issue ? Put your window down and make a right/left turn and gently press the brake pedal, listening for any grinding noises.

#7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was more thinking it was due to the twist of the car loosening something either under the door, or under the floor pan. It happens under hard acceleration, and right turns. I noticed it after the blower / exhaust set up I am running.

#8 ·
Grinding noise on right turn

I hope my reply is not too late to help. I have a 2004 coupe that progressively developed a grinding noise while turning left and later also while turning right. We at first suspected wheel bearings and then luck stepped in. While having the car in for it's second left side diff output seal replacement, I mentioned the noise problem with the service manager and he right away referred to a GM service letter concerning this problem. The cure was to drain the differential lube and refill with new lube, the additive as specified in the service manual and an additional different additive. Turns out the single additive was breaking down and causing the diff clutch packs to act like a rachet with the resulting grinding noise. After the lube no more noise. GM did not issue a recall nor are the dealers handling this as a no charge warranty.

#9 ·
I had the same problem with my 2006 C6, except it is with the right side. I heard the griding noise just under the passenger seat while hard left turn accelerating. This problem started after my Corsa Sport Exhaust and X-Pipe were installed.

I have had the fluid changed in my rear differential and this is not the problem...its a whole different kind of noise under different circumstances.

Check the clearance between your exhaust piping and your under body. My crossover pipe, at the Cats, was aligned slightly too far to the right causing it to vibrate against the heat shied, creating a griding noise. This only happened during a hard left turn (most body torque - allowing the exhuast to touch the heat shield) and under accerleration (most exhaust vibration).

I hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.

BigMay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.