Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Call me crazy, but I actually like the C7 rear!

13K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  mbwalker 
#1 ·
Yeah, that's right... I know I may be in the minority with this, but I'll just bite the bullet and say it. I actually like the new rear end. I like the sculptured taillights. I think the taillights are a natural evolution from the aged design of a regular lens cover. I see more and more cars using a 3D effect on the lens which, I'm assuming is a product of styling and engineering/manufacturing/cost breakthroughs. What you also see more is the use of LED's to create a red "line" or "outline" around the turn signal/backup lights, which looks awesome! Our 2013 Fusion uses this. I'm hoping they do the same with the C7. This is where they can do great, or really mess it up. If they go cheap and use crappy looking materials, then it'll look like an aftermarket add-on, and will look bad. But if they get it right... then let's just say I'm sure there will be a lot of naysayers changing their mind.

Some of you guys think that the taillights don't pay enough homage to the Corvette bloodline. I beg to differ. I really think it's an evolution to the classic "4 pc" taillights. They are still providing the look of 4 separate, sculptured lights, but doing so in 2 separate taillight assemblies. If they want to keep up with the times, they can't continue to use the exact same design forever. Change it up, see how people embrace it, and if it's a success, go with it. And that's what they're doing. Just as they eventually had to get rid of the pop-up headlights. And while it's similar to the Camaro, to me it's different enough to not cry about it. It's kind of an evolution/more sophisticated version of the Camaro concept. And if they're are slight similarities, why should it be a big deal! They're from the same family!

Here's an interesting tidbit I didn't notice until these new crop of pics popped up. If you look closely, you'll notice elements of the Corvette emblem in the rear end. Take a look at the slanting form of the taillights as they form the top of the V, sloping inward, meeting the v in the valence, and finally ending at the exhaust area.

I love the new rear lower valence design. I always thought the C6 valence looked like an afterthought... Like they didn't know where to stick the backup lights and just stuck them there. It looked cheap. A "real" valence is designed to contribute to downforce of the rear end. I know the valence in the C6 is a far stretch from the "real" valence of a Ferrari, but if you're gonna put a "faux" valence on a sports car, at least make it look like a functional one! I think they did much better in this dept with the C7. The thin light strip doesn't bother my eyes as much, since they blend in much better. I do hope, however, that they keep that area black (wishful thinking, carbon fiber), and not body color.

Right on GM!

Let the bashing begin...:smack

See less See more
#8 ·
I Am With You

After 3 monyhs the C-6 will look old fashioned and everyone will start to love the C-7.

If they change stuff we talk about not holding on to the traditional Corvette look.
If they don't change too much we call it a C-61/2.

What do you want, a Ford?

#10 ·
And while it's similar to the Camaro, to me it's different enough to not cry about it. It's kind of an evolution/more sophisticated version of the Camaro concept. And if they're are slight similarities, why should it be a big deal! They're from the same family!
Exactly. It shouldn't be a big deal, but some people can't stand change, so they look for something to nitpick. I don't think there's anything about a circle that's inherently more aesthetic than a trapezoid, or rhombus, or any other geometric shape.

The C7 rear may look vaguely similar to the 5th-gen Camaro, but if you look at the logo at the top of this page, that red C3 looks even more similar to a '70 Camaro. Hell, look at Porsche... their entire lineup looks similar—so much so that the average person probably couldn't tell the difference between a Boxster and a Cayenne—and yet people ADORE that marque.

#11 ·
:agree: I too am with you! I think this car is going to be stunning! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
It is definitely different. It won't keep me from buying one, but it does seem to be a drastic change from the previous 50 years of tail lights. Then again, I hated the C6 and said that Corvettes had to have flip up head lights.....until I drove one. ;)

Attachments

#53 ·
I just read the article in Corvette Magazine about the C7 convertible. Love it! I knew I would like the new Corvette eventually. I am trying to talk the wife into a convertible automatic for her to drive!

#14 ·
That rear end wont look so bad after all by looking at this CAD drawings they are very diferent then then ilustrations we seen before. The ilustrations show a very flat rear design on this CAD drawings you can actually see the rear is concave and not so flat. I think that most people are just a bit disapointed for not just the rear but many other elements on the car i myself dont like the side profile i think those lines just dont flow with the car i dont know why GM didnt keep the lines just like the stingray concept and just work on the front and rear bumper that would have been a killer C7. I just think we are disapointed because we feelt that It was the time for GM to give us a killer Corvette and not just an inspiration of many things out there.

#16 ·
This rear illustration looks way lass camaro-esque. I agree that the concavity, if it exists as illustrated, makes a big difference. It looks more aggressive and exotic than I imagined. Can't wait to see the real deal.

As for the interior...it does resemble the C4, and as much I disliked the fit/materials/finish then, I did like the cockpit-like driver's side. The C7 interior seems to share this design. I like it. I think a lot of carbon fibre and leather will do the trick.

#26 ·
I'll go in on that.

Its easy to be upset about the origami rear end of the C7 drawings, but at the end of the day the car may look great, and there is an overwhelming chance that the car itself will be exceptional. And lacking, Viper aside, another American sports car to love, I'd rather love it than fret over design choices I can't control.

:)

#18 ·
The picture of the leak looks much better than the renderings we've had before.
I like the rear end and the dash. Will take a while to adjust to the screen for the gauges.

I don't see the C7 appealing to a younger age group as is hoped, but loyal Corvette fans will like it.

#19 ·
I don't see the C7 appealing to a younger age group as is hoped, but loyal Corvette fans will like it.
I believe it will, but then again that was never the problem. The younger generation can't afford a $50,000 + car.....otherwise I'd own one.

#22 ·
This is good, people. No longer do you have to feel ashamed that you have high hopes for the upcoming Corvette C7. No more, do you have to feel like you will be banished from this site. We are proud and we will no longer be silenced. Let me start by saying... My name is Tony and I am Corvette C7 affectionado. :laughing: :nuts:

#23 ·
I didn't like the Jalopnik rendering. But the manual illustrations are more accurate, i think, and completely changed my mind.

I really like the sculpted back end, too. I think it looks great, kinda spaceship-like.

And if it has a great interior, great features, (and fuel system and ECU can "gasp", can support 4 figvure hp?),

Then the C7 is a tour de force, knock it out of the ballpark winner! I'm looking forward to it.

#28 ·
I really hated the rear end of this car the first time I saw it. I hate to admit it, but I'm now sort of starting to like it a little. If this is an actual rendering of the car, it does have a kind of mysterious charm that you can't stop looking at. I don't understand the purpose of the raccoon-eye tear drops on the outer edges of the taillamps (are they reflectors? Back up lights? Non-functional gingerbread? Vents?)

The valance encapsulating the exhaust tips is sort of neat, but it looks like it sticks down too far, it resembles a loaded diaper, I hope this is simply the angle of the picture.

Overall, I still maintain that it doesn't look like a Corvette, based on this one picture. But I understand that Chevrolet needs to keep updating its products, so change is change.

#29 ·
I really hated the rear end of this car the first time I saw it. I hate to admit it, but I'm now sort of starting to like it a little. If this is an actual rendering of the car, it does have a kind of mysterious charm that you can't stop looking at. I don't understand the purpose of the raccoon-eye tear drops on the outer edges of the taillamps (are they reflectors? Back up lights? Non-functional gingerbread? Vents?)

The valance encapsulating the exhaust tips is sort of neat, but it looks like it sticks down too far, it resembles a loaded diaper, I hope this is simply the angle of the picture.

Overall, I still maintain that it doesn't look like a Corvette, based on this one picture. But I understand that Chevrolet needs to keep updating its products, so change is change.
my current theory is that these will be vents, releasing air taken on on the hip-intakes, probably to cool the tranny or something.

Having them functional will make them look quite a bit more tolerable than just being black stylized cartoon robot crying eyes.

In fact, while I started out terribly pessimistic about the C7s design, I've slowly come to think it will probably be very very good. A functional design feature is far more tolerable than a non functional one. The ears on a Countach would be ridiculous except... it needs them. etc.

#33 ·
C4

To each their own , but the C4 cannot be compared as it has round tailights , perhaps you meant the later generation of C4's in which you would be correct ? But personally as of now I can't stand the camaro look . Lets see what this car actually looks like though. Who knows even a die hard round lens guy may cave eventually as I really need a new car and my 85 is getting long in the tooth and needs a complete exterior ,interior restoration if I even go to that stage . Book value is Ok but after all the needed work , not original owner only had this car 4 years and drive it everyday . Lets see , a little optimistic at this point that the lights will remain round . Maybe they want it to look like part of the rest of the family with similarities ? who knows . The first camaro's had round light too. Counting the days as many are. Tick tock.:partyon:

#35 ·
I also like the look of the C7.
I hope the quality of the interior is fine, so I see a very good position on the european market for the C7. :thumbsup:

Greetings from Austria,
Horst :partyon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.