Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

TPMS issue

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  gmjunkie 
#1 ·
Just spent a good deal of time reading of other TPMS problems. Many of a (kinda) similar nature either by mfg of the TPMS or the results.

With a request for forgiveness if this is all redundant here goes.

About 6 months ago I replaced the factory wheels on my 03 Z06 with OEM 2004 ZR1 factory wheels. I choose to add the TPMS units and have the computer flashed. I used sensors made by Orange Electronics. I have the local Chebby dealership do the installs and flash the computer and awaken the sensors. Thay did so and all the system functioned just fine on all four wheels, untill a couple of days ago.

For the first time I had the oppurtunity to take my Z up state and run some higher speeds. Again at this point in time all TPMS units are showing a very nice 30PSI per wheel.

While traveling a back road I was able to speed up to the 120 mark a couple of times. Just speed up and slow down, no standing starts or serious brakeing.

A few minutes later I look down and see the "serv tire mon. system" message. I scroll through the DIC and both rear sensors show xxx (front both read normally, at the moment).
A short time later after clearing the first message it pops up again but now all four sensors are showing the dreaded xxx.

Tires were checked and all are fine on air pressure.

Vehicle shows no codes and the sensors do not re-learn (they wont make the horn beep as learned even with the round GM magnet used as per procedure.)

I talked to Company I purchased the sensors from and they verified that they are correct for my Vette but have no instant answers.

Tomorrow I will find a place with an A-Tech or Bar Tech scanner to check if they are trying to function and then go from there.

My question is why the total failure over a short time and of course why? Any ideas guys?:WTF

See less See more
#3 ·
Morning Junkman.

Orange Electronics tells me they are insturments that read if the TPMS sensors are individually sending signals to the on board computer. Honestly I have no idea as I have never dealt with either before.

#4 ·
...............just my .02

I also installed the TPMS on my Z06, mainly due to long roadtrips on HRE wheels. I do not use runflats and have 3 sets of tires on various wheels that all have the OEM sensors installed. When I switch, I only use a magnet to relearn positions. I have never had a problem loosing signal at speed with the OEM sensors.

Are these Orange sensors banded to the inside of wheel or same as OEM with shrader valve stem? ...........When I first researched to add the TPMS to the Z, back in 03-04 there was a manufacturer having problems with the banded sensors spinning on the wheel and loosing signal.

Hope you get it solved :cheers:

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response Fly. I don't use run flats either. Sensors are original placement Shraders and are not banded.

Just got back from a tire shop who used a tech device and said none of the four TPMS sensors are sending signals. His susipicion is that on the few high speed bursts (ya know the ones that make you smile a lot?) that the sensors came a bit loose and disintigrated.?.

Guess I'll contact Orange again and see what they have to say. They seem more then willing to help resolve the issue.:huh:

#6 ·
Latest update. Had a Mcgee Tire tech use a Bartech on each sensor. No reading from any. He tried the reset, relearn and nodda. Finally put the entire system on a Solus Pro scanner plugged into the data port under the column and 4 codes popped upC2100, C2105, C2110 and C2115 which read LF tpm sensor fault, ditto RF, RR and LR.

Have I left any variables available other then concluding that the sensors did indeed each fail?:thud:

#8 ·
Junk, I agree. Gonna call um today (if they're open on Sat.) and ask for a refund. I know they are guaranteed so maybe that will work out OK.

I am going to go to GM sensors, period. Sensors failing at speed is just BS.

Gonna go do a search on the net for failures of Orange Electronics sensors. Gonna see what I can find.

Thanks guys.

#12 ·
I thinks the sensors are Crap!~!! :thumbsup:

I've not had much trouble with wheel sensors yet,But mine are 10 years old and I know it's anytime!:smack

I'll get mine from GM!:thumbsup:

#14 ·
I thinks the sensors are Crap!~!! :thumbsup:

I've not had much trouble with wheel sensors yet,But mine are 10 years old and I know it's anytime!:smack

I'll get mine from GM!:thumbsup:

Thanks Junkie, As long as no one has experience making me believe that the problem is with the computer then I will press on.

I spoke to Driven Parts who supplied the Orange Electronics sensors and they said the sensors are under warranty to which I said why would I want those again, so they can break down again? They are looking at a free upgrade to an as yet un-named other mfg sensor, we shall see.

Just a wierd question though. GM doesn't make their own sensors I'm sure. Some one else sub contracts for them wouldn't ya think?:crazy:

#13 ·
High speed would not put any more stress on a wheel sensor - they would be under maximum shear stress during rapid acceleration from a standing start. Unless maybe you were traveling over a really high vibration surface at high speed that set up a harmonic issue. At no point are they in tension - they are always in compression against the rim.

Since they failed in "pairs" front and then rear - that is a bit coincidental.

I would start by replacing with OEM.

#16 ·
I don't but it was interesting that the research I just did showed NONE of the sensors made in the US. All are made in Tiawan, China and such.

Chevy part number 25773946 is made by Guaqzhon Issyzong Technology Co. Ltd. in mainland China. Like I'm surprised and I bet no one else is either.:thud:

#18 ·
Imagine that. :devil:

You can bet that with as many TPM's that GM has put in their cars, they have tested the hell out of them. Also, Guaqzhon Issyzong Technology Co. Ltd was probably gone over with a fine tooth comb and told their **** better be straight of they would never see another GM dollar again. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.