Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

What GM doesn't get about us Old Folks

14K views 91 replies 28 participants last post by  BLK 1 
#1 ·
In real simple terms...we been there done that.

In my case... I saw the 63 C-2 hit the show room floor, saw it hit the highways and byways in numbers never to be seen again.

It's what really put the Vette bug in my blood.

I felt the heartbreak of the C-3 through C-5 especially the C-4 and its powerless performance.

Then came the C-6, a vette started becoming a Vette again, got back some head turning style, jaw dropping, power, and stomping appeal.

And then came the wide body C-6's (Dam'n somebody woke up in bowling green!!!!)

And again, just like after the C-2......... they blew it!!!

Well we do learn from history..... can't wait for the C-11, if the C-7 doesn't kill off Corvette, hopefully it doesn't take 4 generations to do it right again.

#2 ·
You know what they say about opinions. Everyone's got one, and since the public unveiling of the C7, the majority of them have been very positive. The car has been generating a lot of buzz, and if the current level of enthusiasm is any indication, GM has a hit on their hands. You don't like it? Fine, great, good, whatever. Don't buy one.

#3 ·
GM has a hit on thier hands according to GM, and no I won't be buying one, seeing that POS sealed the deal on the anny coupe GS I am picking up monday to add to the collection.

When you can afford the Vette, and pay the insurance on it ....tell me how to buy one, thats what I think about all the "buzz" folks

#8 ·
The C7 has some nice refinements...However, I will not buy one, now later, or I doubt ever...After how GM has addressed the bad guide and dropped valve issues on the C6 Z06, I will keep what I have and won't look back at GM again!...I have various Vettes for over 40 years...Yeah, I am an old fart, keep in mind us old farts were the loyal buyers, not so much any more...

#14 ·
I don't see your problem? I owned one of the first C6 Z06 and yes it dropped a valve on the track. Chevy spent $17,000 repairing it for me. And I had a brand new loner to drive while it was in the shop. Would I buy another, you bet your ass I would.

Do you think GM is the only company to have mechanical problems??? They all do. If the imports sales numbers were dependent on their recalls and service, they would have no sales here. and we won't even talk about the troubles Ford and Chrysler has had. So go buy a viper or mustang, Corvette and Camaro moped up the floor with both of them this year.

And I have been an old fart for a long time. But I am young at heart, which keeps me from being a crabby old fart.:D

And Obama's adminastration has cost me over $1,000,000. But thats part of life, so get over it and move on.

#9 ·
All this back and forth so called bickering, and opinions that don't mean anything, as in a lot of the other threads here, other forums, no one really gives a ****. If the individual likes something, they'll buy it, very simple game.

If the person is heart set on buying this new generation, knock yourself out, and have fun. You'll be welcome at my place just as much as any other generation. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I've only seen pics and a couple of vids on the C7. From what I've seen so far, I am not entheuastic. Then, when I saw the 1990 interior, I 'shut the door' on the car. Doubt I'll even go to my local dealer to view one.
But, I really don't have a dog in the hunt. Even if the car was exactly where I think it should have evolved to, I would not purchase. I have that big a grudge against guberment motors and what obama and gm did to my portfolio. Screw'm. Honestly, I'd celebrate seeing them go broke................ again.

#12 ·
I take umbrage at the slam against the C4s and C5s, 405hp isn't a slouching performance number (Late ZR-1 and 2001-2004 Z06) and 300-385 sae net hp beats the 250-365 sae gross hp of the C2s small blocks. Yes the C4 started slow but each new motor update brought more performance.

I concede styling wise nothing looks better than the C2s

#20 ·
Thank you. Correct. The C4 outperformed most of the cars on the face of the planet in its day. It was transitionary. More computer control, a whole new car. Etc. Powerless? Please. Someone needs to look into why Corvette Challenge came into existence. (Hint: they were essentially embarrassing every other worldwide manufacturer by constantly winning, so they were asked to leave SCCA).

#13 ·
Does anyone remember if the C3 was as controversial when it replaced the C2? When I traded my C2 for a C3 I recall it was the interior that sold me, at that time it seemed like a fighter plane inside compared to my C2. Also, the C3 looked a lot like the Mako Shark show car that had been touring that summer (1967) and that went a long way to making it lusted after. I don't know what the C7 looks like, a re-skinned C6 (forget all the BS about only two parts carrying over), the ZL1 from SuperVettes, a Ferrari kit car; I just can't tell. But I do know that I should not be trying so hard to like it and having serious mixed feels about leaving my C6 at the dealer and taking the
C7 home.

#33 ·
The problem with this thread is that the author doesn't understand demographics. GM doesn't and shouldn't care too much about what us old folks think about the new Corvette. GM needs to attract a new generation of buyers. And from all I have heard, not from GM but the car magazines and the car blogs, they hit the nail right on the head with the C7 Corvette. Both of my boys are in love with it, and they are the demographic that GM needs right now. And the truth of the matter is that I love it too, even though I am just over Fifty. Yes I love the C2. Yes I love the C5 and C6, but the C7 is in my mind a very good evolution, and just like the C2 I see the C7 as becoming an iconic Corvette, not just an accepted look by those who just wish time would stand still.

#44 ·
Im 23, I own a Corvette and I think the C7 looks great:surprised. GM can't please everyone and why try and attract people who already have one of their cars? They have to attract old recurring customers but more importantly NEW customers. Now getting nasty because GM didnt call you up and consult you on what you wanted is childish.

#47 ·
I am not a geezer (I dont think, Im only 41) . I could buy any Vette I wanted from C2 to C7. I could go right out right now and put in the order for the first available one.

But I wont.

I baught my C5 because its the most beautiful Vette out there "to me". I did give the C4 some serious attention because it was my dream car before the C5 came out.

This is all about personal preference. There will be buyers for the C7 I have no doubt. In my opinion they wont be 20 something year olds by the thousands, just because they don't have the cash, but I think there will be planty of 40ish that will.

I also hope we can welcome them to Digital Corvettes just as the owners of C6, C4, C3, and all the rest did to me.

:partyon:

#55 ·
I'm also, i guess, exactly their target demographic. They want young buyers who could or do have every sports car to choose the C7. Well... thats me. Shoot I'm pretty sure I own every exotic italian car in my entire hometown, actually I know I do.

What offends me about the design is A) that rear is beyond forgiveness, its positively peculiar and B) they seem to want to offend existing corvette lovers, as if we aren't good enough and C) the car just seems like a design from people who just thought Corvettes weren't cool. So they felt like they had to apologize for it.

Furhter, I can't imagine why any sports car brand would work hard to offend old people. Who on earth buys Porsches? College kids? EVERY guy you see at an autocross in a 911 is old. As all hades.

Wanna bte the average Ferrari collector is even older?

Why? Old guys have coin. They have raised their children and gotten their promotions or seen their companies mature, or even wound their companies down cash cowing them the last 10 years, and paid off their mortgages or whatever, and collected much coin. It is with this coin that they can purchase impractical sports cars that only hold 2 passengers.

It really doesn't matter, to current sales, if a bunch of college kids love your car. Also, there is a strong tendency for young people to sort of "rebel" against their youthful loves when they grow up and finally collect that coin, and desire a car that they now feel is more becoming of their new status.

As a college kid, i loved Japanese cars. And some Europeans, I was one of those kids. When I grew up and my businesses generated enough coin to purchase expensive cars I...

a) ran right out and bought an Evo, riced it to the max, got an APX 900 Turbo kit, or
b) bought a car befitting someone who had worked really hard and made a buck?

The kids who worship at the altar of Subaru today, when they grow up, start a business, or work for that great job, or whatever, so they have the coin to buy a sports car will

a) get a new STi, rice it to the max, and drive around all day feeling happy about that or
b) buy a car befitting someone of their newfound status?

Just some thoughts.

But honestly, they COULD HAVE SAID, "as befits corvette tradition, like in 1963 when we shocked the world, like in 1984 when we shocked it again, in the tradition of having an American car (like the C6) beat everything on this planet for performance, we offer the C7, which we hope shocks the world again"

Instead they more or less insulted their existing fan base and released a ricey looking thing that is as risky to look at from behind as staring Medusa in the face.

#56 ·
I apologize if I seem ranty when I speak of the C7, or its rear.

I think I'm actually offended by this monstrosity and experiencing something akin to the 5 stages of grief. Guys, I loved my C6s, and I argued more times in public WITH THE TARGET AUDIENCE THAT GM SEEMS TO WANT than anybody I've ever known that Vettes rule. I pointed out that my C6 Vert with mag shocks rode better than my old 911 convertible, to a hundred people, I told everybody who ever asked that my Z06 was not just faster than my F430, it was a separate category of fast, an entirely higher level of performance.

I also gripe, as often as opportunity allows, about the flaws of the C6. The shoddy feel of most of the controls, the tendency of the rear to try to pass the front.

I do believe the C7 wll be a great sports car, as it seems they have kept the strengths of the C6 while tyring to address its weaknesses. All of these things will help the C7 be a joy to drive:

1. improved weight distribution
2. a focus on traction
3. 500% stiffer steering system and a focus on the feel of the car
4. and don't underestimate this, its awesome. The one piece, for all the focus on mileage and all the weight added for mileage and all the power probably being withheld from the LT1 for mileage, to skinny little tires that look fairly silly compared to the look of a Viper or a C6 Z, to the wasting of the 7 speed by just using the extra speed for more mileage, (screw performance, the vette team says, we must make this car a prius!)... the C7 is getting one piece of really good go-fast tech. And thats the locking/unlocking rear diff.

This is the same thing as the F430/Scuds Ediff, the same thing as you find on the rear axle of the GT-R or Evo, or the old Porsche 964 C4, or the old Porsche 959, or with the new Porsches PTV system (I think, I've never had or read much about a brnad new Porsche).

Its a pretty potent piece of tech, that should very realistically be able to shove the car out of corners meaningfully faster than a C6, power to weight to tire ratios equal.

#59 ·
I wonder why only 5% of that thread's visitors felt compelled to vote. Hmmmm.
I'm going to claim that they were so disgusted with the design that they decided it wasn't worth voting on. Now I have no technical data or basis to make such a claim but claims like these are posted as fact in the news room so I'm going to run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes it. :D

#65 ·
Ladies ladies.........lets all calm down....here...here...have some boobies:

Reactions: Chris Draper
#78 ·
Don't flame me for saying this, but after reading this whole thread, I am reminded of one of the reasons I don't visit the other site too often!!! Starting to see the outright bashing of others on here too and that is sad!! No matter what generation you own, we are all Vette owners!!:thumbsup:

Reactions: stinger430
#79 ·
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand. I wasn't "bashing" other Vette Owners, I was stating my opinion.
To be very honest I am not to fond of a C6 either.
For years a Corvette wouldn't turn my head, I had absolutely no interest in them.

The day my wife and I looked at the GS, she actually got up out of the car and said " you don't like corvettes" And she was right I didn't, the direction they took in styling after the C2 wasn't what I liked, to me they were to long and to narrow.
It was the wider stance of the GS, the color, and the ability to remove the top that sold me on the one in the garage.

I do apologize if my opinion hurt someones feelings, but I like what I like, and that's what drives my spending on a product.

With the C7 I love the techy stuff and the new motor, but to me they blew it on the body. So I won't be purchasing one too soon (if ever). Hopefully they will build a Z06/Zr1 equivalent, and with it will come some styling refinements.

But honestly I am of the opinion, the C7 is already here in all versions short of the vert. I hope I am wrong and they get a second chance on me buying one...but only time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.