Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Cobra destroyed me

15K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  81 STINGRAY 
#1 ·
.There's no track on this island anymore. So street racing is huge. So I go outwith my low mile 06 z51, headers, vararam, electric water pump and tune. 6 speed manual. I've drag raced alot in my day, even at our old track.-Beat a couples. GTOs, then the real cats showed up. I got smoked by a stock Gt500 with drag radials. I mean like 4 car lenghts and falling behind fast. The new gt500s are great street cars.-Matter of fact, there was 4 c6 vettes. Out that night. One supercharged, another with drag radials and 2 modded zo6s etc. Every vette lost. No one even fears a vette anymore. The modded supras, GTRs, Gt500 and lambos. Were kicking the vettes asses all over the place. We roll race here alot too. Same results.-Note to self. Don't show up at street night with less than 600hp and drag radials.

#3 ·
Yeah. True. But the cobra was a stock 662hp car. Destroyed the modded z06 too. When the c5 first came out, one could pull up at street night and beat most cars. Now a vette pulls and everyone's laughing. And loses almost every race

#4 ·
Don't worry the Vette's are very feared in the states.:devil: There is no way that GT500 was stock. Well maybe but a stock C6 Z06 and a 2013 GT500 will run pretty much the same time in the 1/4. The 2012 GT500's have about 100 less horse's than the 2013 GT500. So a modded Z to get destroyed by a stock GT500?

#5 ·
The bone stock GT 5 had drag radials. And that really complimented the supercharged power of that car. Brother let me say, there's EVos out here that beat c6zs. Stock or not, its run what you brung on the street. Vettes are not feared at all. There's a couple 700 plus c6s here. But they lose to the modded GTRs. Thersles also modded 13 cobras etc. There's an 8 second grand national that's has time slips from Maui and some cool vids. Nice car
There's a nice mile road in the industrial park that vacant on weekends

#11 ·
Both drivers race about every chance they get. They know how to launch. But the gt5 with drag radials pops of the line and jumps way ahead of the z, not til about the 1/2 way point, the z starts creeping on the stang, but can't close the distance before the end

#13 ·
I think tires makes a difference that you might be under estimating.

Tires in a race can help a quick car beat a faster car. That's especially true in a road race but just as important in a straight line.

Then you take in to acount some driver know how.

You take these two factors into acount and two exact cars with different tires and drivers can finish with car lenth differences.

Rethink your tires and your launch and you may find a huge difference in your times and speed at the end.

Also if your scared, just watch, don't play. What I mean is if your worried about breaking something at launch and let off, you will lose. Trust me, those guys aren't. You have to hammer it to the limit every time.

Get some tires that will stick and hook along with the don't give a damb attitude if it breaks and you will find yourself beating a lot more than you think. But if you want to enjoy your car more on the road, don't take it too hard and just enjoy the awesome car you have.

We've all been beaten. Don't be too concerned about it.

#14 ·
Yeah. I drive it hard. I have 100s of passes on the quarter mile before the track closed. I also built my c5 up, raced it, then Borrowed some drag radials one night. Holy crap. What a difference. Actually bogged my car the first couple times. I win and lose plenty races. Was just impressed by the new 662 hp gt with drag radials. It killed me. Then it turned into the z got beat because of the driver. The z got spanked 3 times in a row not because the driver. Even without drag radials . The z would probably lose against this gt5

#17 ·
I like the cut of your jib Sir!

I envy you for the time you have gotten on the track. Soon I will be able to get that time. I hope. :rolleyes:

I also have great repect for the GT. But I know you can beat the vette hard and she comes back for more. Do you think after watching the GT it is as durrable machine. I ask because I have not gotten to see one in person really put to the limit.

#15 ·
I've had vettes for a very long time. I'm not a fan of the C7, but I am taking a long look at a white, 700hp D3 Cadillac 2 door coupe. Slammed with black wheels. Awesome car

#16 ·
I was not trying to turn it into a "because of the driver" bash. Street racing driver plays a huge difference. As a kid I beat the hell out of a lot of cars that were way better cars than their driver. Those thoughts crossed my mind so I posted it as a possibility. Since you drag raced you know what kind of a difference in ET there is when you just get beat marginally on the tree. It can be car lengths on the other end.

I took it you feel your car is better but you lost. Have you kept up with what can be bought? Things change every year and kids getting daddy to buy a 580 hp Camaro doesnt seem to bother the well off so I suppose a GT500 isnt out of the question. Be prepared if you show up to a run what ya brung race. Its nothing here to have 1000+ HP cars that actually will run like hell on small tires. Turbo(s) and or NOS is not a option its mandatory if you want to play.

What HP does your car have? What does it weigh? Get back to the basics and see if you have a chance. Those cars scale at nearly 3900lbs. If you have a equal or better hp/wt ratio start narrowing it down to what made the difference. Work on the issue when you find the problem and be the guy that people fear his vette is it means that much to you. Had you been the guy to take him down he would be the one in his forum all amazed at what destroyed him.

Or go buy a Caddy and sit on the porch. Its not bad to watch its just boring. :laughing:

#18 ·
Or go buy a Caddy and sit on the porch. Its not bad to watch its just boring. :laughing:
I did think I had a small chance to beat the GT5, I did t realize it as a 2013. I new he had drag radials though . I beat a 07 or such a couple times. Those only have 500 hp though.

I wouldn't sit on the side lines with my caddy,even the d3 wagon runs 12.0 at 117. I would throw on some drag radials and race.

#22 ·
I'm prolly AFU for posting here about this. My 2006 Auto has come across many a Buttstang in the foothills and mountains in my area. Not one Buttstang has been able to stay in front of me without crossing over the center divider stripes with me on their tail feathers. It's embarrassing to watch the pony float over lines while I'm on their Tail&Main staying inside the lines. Straight line, yes I've been whipped. But in the twisties it's another story and I've left plenty of ponies behind, after all they get tired of being all over the road and finally let me go by. In most cases they try and follow, for a while anyway while we wave thanks and goodby.

Fat assed back seat muscle cars still can't be a sports car.

#23 ·
Time to build for 1400 Horsepower.
Take nothing less.
I am told there is a Solid Axle Conversion for the C5 & C6 Corvettes.
Never been a fan of the Corvettes IRS rear for super hardcore drag racing.

Cadillacs are just GAY in my book.
Fat Ass over weight POS.
Save the $$$ and dump into your C5.

You want true 8- second 1/4 mile ET times.
Makes for low 10 second runs on the street with drag radials & if you are a very good driver.

#25 ·
OK.

I've street raced..a lot.

Always had a sleeper.My C4, High 9's on the track..I loose a whole second on the street fo sho. = 10's

Hp in street racing is not the only thing. Low end Torque is huge.

Plus I always had a 20 lb blue bottle just in case at the high end.

Keep in mind...

There will always be someone with more money and a faster car.

Just like Las Vagas, you gots to know when to fold.

#29 ·
Hey I just call it like I see it. My grandmother loved Caddys. As a matter a fact almost every Sr. citizen around here has one. A few brothers have even bagged them and put some 24s on them. :laughing: To each his own. If someone wants to ride in comfort and style, dragracing and winning, is going to be tough.

Here is some local "street" cars. Both of which driver and cars would run circles around anything a dealer has to offer. And I am sure there are several street vettes here that can embarrass many a mustang as well. It takes deep pockets and a lot of hard work. Got to do a lot if you want to be a big dog.

Reactions: 87vette81big
#30 ·
Pretty Kool Altered.
Texans are Bad Azz people.
Always knew that.

Some 5.0 Mustang guys are Kool too.
The group I know are not pansy ****** azz liberals.
Hardcore red blooded Americans too.
All like my old C4 convertible Vette.
Something different to them.
They run real fast too.
Been a while since I had my old 70 TA out.
Was a street racing crazy when younger.
Every State cop was on the lookout for me & My old friend Bill in his 572 ci BBC C3 81 Vette.
Yes its fun......super risky also........

Super torque helped me win.
And the 455 would pull super hard still at 7500.
Get past in 3rd gear against 9 second track cars on street.
Not missing a shift key...

Have yet to see a IRS REAR CORVETTE DO A WHEELSTAND ON LAUNCH &!BACK BUMPER DRAGGING AND SHOOTING SPARKS DOWN THE 1320.

#31 ·
Big Bill was. KING around here though with his 572 ci BBC C3,
Only I could give him a run for the $.
Game over at 140.....
He shot 10 car lengths ahead instant.
He opened up the second daul quad 4-bbl.

81 Big in honor of my old friend Bill.

#38 · (Edited)
I am told you steer straight by the gas pedal.
Work gas pedal by tapping rapid in a way to control.
Most use a Transbrake Junkman.
It hydraulic locks Forward-Low clutch pack & Reverse at same time.
5000- 7000 RPM STALL CONVERTER USED.
ONLY AUTO TRANS UP TO TASK IS TURBO 400, POWER GLIDE, 4L80E, C6 FORD, & 727 CHRYSLER TORQUEFLITE.

Old timers cut a hole- window ib floorboard to see ground below.
Help steer that way straight.

Byron , Illinois 1/4 mile U tube videoes have to check out.
WORLD WHEELIE CONTEST EVERY YEAR.
A LOCAL WON 2 YEARS IN A ROW I WENT TO HIGHSCHOOL WITH
CLASS OF 1987.
I BUILT HIS DANA 60 REAR.
BULLET PROOF BY ME HERE.
1969 BBC 468 CAMARO.
CORVETTE RED.
500 HORSE SHOT OF NITROUS.
ESTIMATED POWER NEAR 1400 HP.
BACK BUMPER DRAGGING ACTION FOR 200- 300 FEET OF OF STARTING LUNE. MOVING AROUND 130MPH.

#40 ·
Its possible we have met in past Matt.
Frankie Taylor won the Byron World Wheelie Outlaw Showdown in 1998- 1999.
I Traveled to Byron with another friend on big race meets to watch.
Bob ( not MOPAR BOB) was still to hungover to drive..
I would have pulled up in s bright red 1987 Corvrtte coupe or a 1976 Corvete painted Garnet Red. Both Bob's rides.
The old 1969 Camaro drag car is still around you in Chi town somewhere.
Sold around 2000-2001.

You might have heard me call sometimes on the radio on Sunday nights.....

Borowski Race Radio .....
Calling from Frankie's old shop.
We were usually piss drunk & having fun.
I made Ted stumble several times on Radio live.
Asking Tech questions & then correcting him....
Argue......he would concede & say yes your right Brian.
Next caller......
5 minutes later it was me again.....:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.