Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7 Rear - HERE IT IS!

105K views 313 replies 65 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
This is from the Hi-Po model.

See less See more
#2 ·
I definitely don't feel moved by the design in any way.

A mix of similar cues (from other cars) that blend together in a manner that leans toward haphazard. Without considering the need for Corvette heritage, purely speaking, the rear lights still just don't work. I like the lower half of the rear bumper, the rear vents and that the exhaust outlets are framed in.

#3 ·
Is that the 2014 Camaro? Seriously, I absolutely hate those rear lights. The back end in general is way too busy, too many angles, creases, folds, ridges, edges...did Frank Gehry design it? The Corvette is supposed to be a simple, clean shape. I really hope this isn't the real thing, it looks like a bunch of 16-year-olds are running the Corvette design studio.

#4 ·
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can state my opinion.

I love it! Very modern and functional design. This will really bring the Corvette up to par or even past it.

The rear fender-well air extractors look MUCH better then how Jalopnik represented them. This will reduce drag significantly, especially at higher speeds. I can guarantee you this was a suggestion from the Corvette Racing team.

The large spoiler will be a big help for downforce without adding a big wing like the Viper ACR.

And the all so debated tail lights.....I personally like them. I like the 3-dimensional design to them. I honestly don't care that they are not round. This isn't the first Corvette with square tail lights. The overall opinion about them on the other forum is mostly positive.

I'm still a little puzzled about the lack of a B Pillar (new side window). That has been the most notable design element of Corvettes since 1963.

#5 ·
This is pretty much how I've felt all along... although according to a couple members on this site, that just means we have horrible tastes.

I'm wondering if the colors in this latest CAD rendering are only meant to differentiate material types, or if the rear bumper is going to be body-colored? The Jalopnik drawings led us to believe that the bottom half of the rear would be dark-greyish / black, which I think I prefer. I did a quick photoshop to get an idea of what that would look like on this latest 3D CAD rendering:

#15 ·
They are destroying corvette!

The only car that comes close to Corvette heritage is the Porsche 911. Look how the Germans are able to update the model without removing it's connection to it's heritage. The Corvette is the halo car for Chevrolet and they are taking elements of lesser cars (i.e. Camaro) to define it. Corvette design should spill over to lesser models not the other way around! If this is the real design it will be disastrous.

#18 ·
The only car that comes close to Corvette heritage is the Porsche 911. Look how the Germans are able to update the model without removing it's connection to it's heritage. The Corvette is the halo car for Chevrolet and they are taking elements of lesser cars (i.e. Camaro) to define it. Corvette design should spill over to lesser models not the other way around! If this is the real design it will be disastrous.
Only time will tell, I guess...

Fact is, maybe that is why I'm so positive about it, there are no Camaro's in Europe. None. But you do see Corvettes. I think that ass will look great on our roads :thumbsup:

If that is a good thing? I don't know ...

#19 ·
Easy there clam boy, you're entitled to your own opinion, but then I guess we don't have to respect it either.

I also happen to fall in the "younger demographic" that GM is targeting and I'll be honest, I kind of like it. I don't love it by any means like I loved the C5 when it first came out, and it definitely takes too many subtleties from the Camaro, but I'm glad they're taking risks with the design. And I like how at least to me with the black lower valence it reminds me a bit of the old C5Rs with the black painted rears. I understand your frustration, but it's unfortunate the Corvette can't please everyone. That being said I will, like I've said since November, reserve judgement until I see the car in the flesh, all shiny and new. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Inasmuch as I lost some serious money with GM (thank you mr obama) I will NEVER purchase any GM vehicle again, so, I really don't have a dog in this hunt. But, FWIW, if this is the C7 buttochs, it's fugley!

Reactions: 91redragtop
#27 ·
They look pretty different IMO.

#29 ·
Why does everyone contiue to miss/messup the backup lights? That Omega mould cleary shows them in that tail light assembly as being on the inside of that clip. The rear lamps are ROUND in that mould, how you turn round plugs into square lights is a pretty mean feat.
I'm not exactly sure why we need rear air extractors in the rear clip, maybe for brake cooling but they don't need to be that big and may upset aerodynamics...

#33 ·
I'm not exactly sure why we need rear air extractors in the rear clip, maybe for brake cooling but they don't need to be that big and may upset aerodynamics...
They release the air from the rear fender wells, creating less drag at high speeds. Lessons learned from racing. Many high-performance and race cars have them or some type of cutouts.

#32 ·
and those backup lights are square in the mould, with the tail lights being round. For those that say the lights are round, that mould shows the contradiction.... otherwise we can have round backup lights that come out square... but why bother to make it complicated.

#34 ·
Wouldn't you get this fender pressure on the front wheel wells as well? The extractors in the front are for under hood pressure... creating an airflow around the motor from the cooling intake air. I don't see the front air extractors being connected..on current corvettes.
In that pic, the 911 turbo, i believe has them there for cooling or air intercooler reasons... the Merc, maybe for styling...
I didn't see them there on that C6R, maybe i am getting old and can't see very well. There well maybe the aero reason for extractors on the rear, ie: help create low pressure vacum under the rear end... bascially replace the downforce of a spoiler without the drag...

#35 ·
Wouldn't you get this fender pressure on the front wheel wells as well?

I didn't see them there on that C6R, maybe i am getting old and can't see very well.
I'm not an engineer but I would think so. :huh: It's probably more difficult to resolve that issue compared to the rear. I've heard of floor ducting and other tricks, mostly stuff not viewable on the under side of the car.

On the C6.R: The large area cut out at the bottom half of the rear. Here is the same on the Porsche.

#37 ·
If there is a purpose to these particular random-appearing, tossed in to add more angles, straight lines, these in the circle must be there to symbolize the tears in the corners of the eyes of most Corvette lovers when they see this overly busy, mess of a rear end.

#38 ·
The rear lights aren't shaped EXACTLY like the Camaro, but they were designed to resemble the Camaro and that is enough to make them suck in my opinion!!! That rear design leaves me shaking my head everytime I see it. I am all for change to keep a car design fresh, but when you think copying a design from a lesser model in your lineup is a good thing, it makes no sense!! I wonder what Viper owners would have thought if the new Viper had taillights that looked like a Chrysler 200C....Wait, those taillights look better than the ones on the C7,....Dodge Caliber????

#46 ·
I dunno guys. If that was any other make I wouldn't even look at it twice. I'd think it was just some random "sports coupe" .

I KNOW it will sell like crazy, I just know it will (by alot of the same Corvette customer base GM is trying to get rid of) but it just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe when it's released officially I might change my mind (doubt it!), but to me , for right now, the Corvette just doesn't LOOK like a Corvette anymore. A Lexus LFA maybe, but not a Vette.

#48 ·
I really don't care how many mistakes (now rectified by the way) Porsche makes, because I don't give a crap about Porsche ... except when GM produces a Corvette design that is so ugly it makes any Porsche look clean, smooth, and classy. Yuk, can't believe I've had to say that.

Maybe GM was correct...."They'll get used to it."

Translated: We don't need to listen to the customers. Design any ugly, piece of crap design you want, slap a Corvette label on it and it will sell. They're just sheep who will get used to it and buy it because it says "Corvette" on it.

#49 ·
I really don't care how many mistakes (now rectified by the way) Porsche makes, because I don't give a crap about Porsche ...
I don't recall replying to a comment you made. Here, let me double check... oh that's right, I was replying to docprechop, who brought up Porsche heritage.

There's nothing wrong with hating the design, but you don't have to be an asshole about it. I come here for the latest info/news/pics on the C7, and half the time it's just someone like you spamming another useless comment insulting people who actually like the design, calling them "sheep" or claiming they have "awful taste," or making some stupid joke. YES, THE C7 LOOKS ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL TO THE PONTIAC AZTEK. THAT IS HILARIOUS. YOU MUST BE A COMEDIC GENIUS!!! :rolleyes:

#52 ·
I apologize to anyone offended by the "sheep" comment. It wasn't intended to offend anyone other than GM's management who adopted this attitude as was reported by the "inside source."

#54 ·
And I apologize for overreacting. There have been a lot of "snarky" comments in this forum, and I usually just bite my tongue. I guess holding it in so much just caused me to snap a little.

There are several sites similar to this one, but I come here because the forums/community seem to be of a higher quality than most... I didn't mean to drag it down in any way.

#53 ·
What exactly is soo bad about the new camaro? I have one as a daily driver and I like it. It's a throwback design that sticks with GM heritage as far as I'm concerned.

It's too early to form any opinions until you see the car in final form. Everyone of you are here because you love Corvette design and engineering. Chances are, you have loved it for a while.

Believe it or not, these folks at GM know how to design cars, they have been doing it for a lot longer than any of us, and they know what works. Relax and form an opinion when you see the car in actual form. Speculating doesn't do any good at all.

#64 ·
Ok, you asked, so I am going to give you my personal opinion!

1. They're huge!
2. They're slow(guess that ZL1 isn't)
3. The rear is one of the worst looking designs ever put on a GM vehicle. It's like they ran out of inspiration and just stopped.
4. Taillights are just weird! Just plain and boring.
5. The backup lights just stuck in the middle of the bumper looks like an afterthought!
6. The plastic diffuser in the back looks cheap, like a JC Whitney product.
7. The rear fenders from any 3/4 angle look cartoonish and overdone.
8. Horrible view out from inside.
9. Just love those fake vent indentions in the rear fenders.

To me, the only view that looks good on them is a direct side-on view. I am a HUGE 69 Camaro fan. One of the best looking cars ever made. They just didn't pull off the retro-look too good with this car. Worst-looking of the 3 pony-car remakes.
Now, I know that is strictly my opinion and doesn't mean squat and I am really glad that you like your Camaro. Please forgive me if I offended you. This whole Camaro-resembling taillight assembly just gets me worked up!!

#56 ·
Sales Projections

I think the best Corvette I could ever think of would be C7's upcoming interior upgrades with C6's body design. I hate the tail lamps (if those are going to be used) and very annoyed the B-pillar is gone after 50 years in favor of a 3rd rear window. I don't think this car could ever see C5 and C6 sales numbers.

#57 ·
Just a little FYI, all of the threads made by that this person leaking all of this info and pics over on Corvette Forum have been put on lockdown and not accessible anymore.

The men in the black suits have got to him. :laughing:

#58 ·
The men in the black suits have got to him. :laughing:
You joke, but GM has the single mindedness and deep pockets to pursue this until the name of whoever was foolish enough to share the information and CAD drawings with him is divulged.

As much as we like to confirm / prove what we already knew, NO ONE should have to loose a job - perhaps a carreer - over the C7 ... especially in this crappy economy.

#62 ·
Same here. After nearly 40 years of Corvettes, I'm willing to give the C7 a look-see in person . . . But based on what I've seen so far, IMHO the styling looks like an epic FAIL.

My Plan B is to purchase a very nice driver C1 . . . And I've already started looking. If I'm not the market GM is seeking with the C7, so be it. I will always own a Corvette.

But I won't buy an ugly one.

#66 ·
If you think that taillight assembly is bad, wait until they come out with the Euro clears for it!!!:lookinup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.