Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

C5 Secrets

99K views 76 replies 58 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
C5 Secrets and Computer CODE

The little yellow "helper light" on the bottom of the rear-view mirror that illuminates the shifter area

That you can put your key in the driver's door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.

That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.

The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.

All of the option codes are in the glove box.

Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver's door

The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor

The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun

The build sheet is in the front re-bar

If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.

You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running)

Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you've traveled since last starting the engine.

Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)

If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you're buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat.

Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.

The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.

There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment, behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.

Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.

If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.

There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passengerÂ's side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an 'indent' that holds the wheel lock key.

If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.

If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock your keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.

HUD has a shift light for manuals.

You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)

You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don't even need key in the ignition.

The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.

When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.

You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons atonce) in the seat memory to run the seat back and steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car with the engine running.

If you hate DRLs you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off

See less See more
Reactions: HN376RAR and ALZ
#63 ·
Problem with the trunk lid on a C5 2002 Convertible.

Problem with the trunk lid on a C5 2002 Convertible.

The trunk lid will release and slightly pop up .
I am unable to lift the trunk lid with my fingers because it does not pop up enough.
The original owner , when I bought the vehicle last week, told me that he had this problem before and still had it after a Chevy dealer adjusted it back in 2005
The only way, currently, you can get the trunk lid up is to slam the door then the trunk lid because of the pressure pops up enough to open it.
There must be a fix for this problem .
Need assistance .
Thanks,
Your friend,
Mel
email melalice2004@aol.com

#65 ·
All Great "secrets" and great info to know. I knew most of it, but the codes are huge help. Thank you all!

Reactions: ALZ
#66 · (Edited)
thanks

now this thread kicks ass , so i live in s florida = i blow drl's all the time , pullled fuse #2 under the hood there now out :thumbsup: , one thing is a lil wierd i pulled a b 2482 hc code ? , reverse lights ? ok i will ck it out , in florida anytime you back up nobody cares , they drive crazy down here , this threads gonna save me alot , those bulbs get super hot , yea right above a duct , that doesnt make sense inmho , seems the seals on those ducts aint so great ? now they will stay nice and cold :D , thanks guys , i also did up the tps sensor last night ! yea , drives great all night , this moring , and tonight , still after disconnecting battery the a/c is messed up , i pulled fuse #27 waited a minute or 2 , key in , that didnt work ! proply needs freon ? :cheers:al

#67 ·
great news

ok so now the bulbs stay cold !:thumbsup: they work as directional lights , even better i started it up , shifted into reverse and the rear lights do go on ! sweet , so if your blowing front bulbs , like i did , so damm much dues to all the rain in s florida , pull fuse 2 end it , they get so hot , stupid imho , plus onboard turning off on mine never worked ! ever ,,,,:WTF , thanks so much , almost back , last part is my a/c as always ! , i hope my bro fixes it like weve done so many times , i love my corvette , this place rules , :cheers: c ya , alz

#68 ·
ok so now the bulbs stay cold !:thumbsup: they work as directional lights , even better i started it up , shifted into reverse and the rear lights do go on ! sweet , so if your blowing front bulbs , like i did , so damm much dues to all the rain in s florida , pull fuse 2 end it , they get so hot , stupid imho , plus onboard turning off on mine never worked ! ever ,,,,:WTF , thanks so much , almost back , last part is my a/c as always ! , i hope my bro fixes it like weve done so many times , i love my corvette , this place rules , :cheers: c ya , alz
Or, instead of Jerry rigging things, replace your DRL lenses and water won't get inside them, which blows the bulb. Common issue, which I describe and show the solution to in my headlight gear replacement thread.

By the way, do you realize that this thread is like 7 years old? :huh:

#69 ·
Thanks god , and all of you !

:cheers: yes i do , this thread should be stickered up top forever , now the a/c is back to ice cold , did need freon , and i pulled the #27 fuse a few times , finally as if by god , i had used tape to close off the a/c drivers door , drove 20 miles , stopped to get some stuff , got in , and walla the a/c on its own goes on ? , im like ok ? , then i notice its getting colder and colder , i feel under the tape cold !:thumbsup: its cold , i rip off the tape , then slowly dial it back to 65 , as im driving it gets super cold , both sides again :) , i feel blessed , thanks to all of you , i wish you all the best always , this is the best forum in the WORLD ! :cheers: , have a great weekend all , you all really do care :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: , staying cool in s.fl , :) , al

#70 ·
In a few pf my AC Threads, I give the procedure for resetting the actuators, which would have resolved your issue if you had a calibration problem. Word to the wise, blindly adding R-134a to your system without knowing how much is already in there AND how much you are adding can really screw up your AC system.

#71 ·
yes

yes , i have read alot of your threads , and i love your video's , a.j. i belive you said your name is , thanks so much , i cant call a guy like you JUNKMAN :) , you have saved me so much cash , plus my car , man thanks so much , to all the members here THANKS , i bought my c-5 nov 2001 , at the time i didnt have my now 11 year old son , he loves my corvette , but i didnt see the future ?, i also didnt see the usa economy screwing up , i never thought ide be working on this car ever ! , thats why i traded mu 1969 firebird , by the way on any corvette up till 1980 ? i belive i can do most of the work , but the c-5 is so much more , i cant even belive how hardcore hard alot of this is , my back hurts from just the stuff i did , i am getting older = stuff is harder for me to do ! , i am 50 years old now , but i feel 100 sometimes , these codes , and instructions saved me alot ! , i see the love of thec-5 corvettes , i love the pop up headlights ! bet they bring them back again ? , anyways thanks , have a great one , o yea my a/c guy is the same guy that installed the new a/c 2 years or so ago !
big questin guys , they now sell freon w/sealant ? i belive i may have a leak ? slow but there ?
is the sealant a/c save for corvette ? i bet alot of us wanna know ? i do ! i would not be the one doing it , my a/c bro would ! if its safe ? i wonder ?, :cheers: al

#72 ·
I would NEVER put that stuff in my system. I would just fix the leak. There's only a couple places that normally leak so finding it should be easy. I'm 52 and out of shape as hell even if I don't look like it. Installed some security cameras at business last week and my arms are still sore from moving a 2-story ladder around all night long.

#73 ·
ok

ok so you think the sealant in the new freon is a bad idea ? i kinda thought so ? , I of course had hoped you would have said yeah use it ! , its to bad , cause i dont have the time or knowlege to even try fixing that issuie ? darn i wish you lived nerar me man ! YOU are really a very cool bro , and your advise is priceless , thanks a.j. , so ya ever come to s.florida :) , anyone near you must be so lucky ?, if you helped them ! , man you always do tell it like it is , i respect that , o and as for the drl's i always hated those stupid hot ass bulbs, i dont wanna em on bro ! so glad pulling fuse 2 cut em off forever ! :) , i dont need them , or need, or want them on ! ever ! :thumbsup: , i always see c-5's with 1 out ! , i always try to tell them to see your video to fix it easy , but man my hands hurt from changing them , plus i dont need them ! , as directional's yes i do ! :thumbsup:
TO BAD the froen w/sealant is a no go ! damm , i wanted to do it ! . it was low by the way , the dude that does my a/c knows whats up , he also installed the new unit 2 years ago ! , if the sealant does ever work , please let me know , ide buy whatever you say would work , for now 2 times a year i pay $40 bucks , and were ice cold ! :cheers: thanks to you all ! :) , al

#74 ·
The problem with allowing your R-134a to constantly get low from leaking is that you risk damaging other parts of your AC system. The R-134a acts as a lubricant along with making the air cold. Running low on R-134a is not good for your compressor. If it gets low enough, the compressor won't even tun. That's by design. Also, the system has oil in it and if it is leaking R-134a, then it is leaking oil too. Are you replacing the leaking oil? Do you have any idea how much oil has leaked out? Do you realize that the oil is just as important to the system as the R-134a? Do you even have a clue how to measure the amount of oil in the system? Eventually, your leak is going to turn into a catastrophic failure where you are going to be replacing the orifice, compressor and dryer, after you have flushed the entire system clean. That's a lot more work than just replacing a leaky O-ring, which could easily be your only issue.

When I was younger, I use to do things like you; do a band-aid fix instead of addressing and fixing the root issue. After ending up paying 3 times what it would have cost to address the original issue enough times, I learned the value of addressing my problems in a much more timely manner. In the long run, the repairs paid for themselves because I didn't end up with a repair that cost a ton more and often left me without my wheels.

Experience is a bitch of a teacher. I try and avoid her ass at all cost. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.