Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Brake Progress

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Kubs 
#1 ·
So have been planning on swapping my front brakes.. Currently I have C5 Calipers on my vette..

I was able to get a good deal on these:

I found the paint was peeling on one due to brake fluid, so I wanted to change the color, after getting in contact is a Brembo Distributor he said to paint them, no powder coating. He also suggested if they are not leaking, don't rebuild them..

well here is how they look now:

and here is on mocked up on the car as I am waiting for some longer wheel studs to work better with the 2pc rotors:

Yes the old Calipers are still connected until I have then new ones completely ready to mount

See less See more
#6 ·
He say why exactly?

yes he did:

"If you are planning on making them a new color, use a quality body shop to clean the calipers, paint the new color, add a high temperature vinyl logo and then clear coat over it. You never want to strip the caliper down to the aluminum like they need to for powder coating as this strips the caliper of its hard anodize and can lead to problems or failure of the caliper. Also the oven curing used in powder coating reduces the hardness of the aluminum making your calipers more likely to flex and fail."

#10 ·
Looks really cool! Nice job. :thumbsup: However, even high temp engine paint does not hold up well to brake heat. I put high temp red and high temp clear on my C6 brakes when I have them, and a few hard stops changed them completely.

Refinished:

After heat:

You can see the clear turned goldish, and the red faded a lot. Maybe it was the brand of paint or something, but it didnt take much heat to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.