Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

CD Player Installation Kit?

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  mga 
#1 ·
I want to put a new cd player in my 74 Vet but I know there's no way it will fit in the original plastic mount. As I'm sure you guys know it was designed for one of the old decks with knobs on it. I need some help on this one.....does anyone know where I can get a kit or what I will have to do to be able to install a modern deck? Preciate it.

#2 ·
i had the same problem with my '81. but, i said the hell with it and carefully cut the dash to fit a cd player. i figured if i ever sell the car and the new owner wants it original, then i'll buy a new dash for $50 and install it.

however, several places make up to date radios to fit in place of the factory radio (they look the same), and you would install a multi cd changer in the rear compartment and tie it into the new radio.

your choice on how far you want to go or how much you want to spend.

but my cd player looks like it was made for there. if you decide to cut the dash, measure twice and cut carefully, to ensure a good look.

#5 ·
In my 77 which should have the same center console as you do
It will fit right in I suggest getting a standard GM wiring harness makes the install alot easier, also depending on your interior, you might wanna go with the 6500

msg me if you wanna see pics.

#13 ·
MGA..........I'm having trouble finding that bezel at the places you mentioned........Are you talking about the bezel CRICKETT posted a picture of earlier on this topic? Or the original bezel that has the plastic molded for the knobs? I'm looking for the one that CRICKETT posted but the only place I've seen it is at http://www.vettespecialties.com for $200.........and I sure as hell don't want to pay that much. So if anyone could give me a direct link to a site that has that one for $100 or under I'd appreciate it.
Thanks guys.

#15 ·
i was talking about the whole thing. the complete gage bezel. that way you'll always have the original if it matters that much. like i said before, i cut mine up to fit the cd player. i've seen worse changes in corvettes...
besides, most new cd players come with the trim bezel anyways. the hole you have to cut should not be much bigger than the cd player itself.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Well, guys...........I ended up gettin' the premade bezel for $199 and installed a Pioneer cd player that plays cd/rw, mp3, and wma formats. The cool thing about havin' an mp3 player is you can put over 100 songs in regular cd quality on 1 disc which eliminates the need for a cd changer. It wasn't an easy install compared to the other cars I've had (86 & 91 Mustang GT's) but well worth it considering it didn't have a radio at all when I bought it about 3 months ago. :excited:

:excited:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.