Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Windshield Washer not working C5

18K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  likeparty 
#1 ·
My windshield washers just stopped working on my 2003 C5 coupe.

What I've done:
Checked fuse...OK
Checked fluiid level...OK
Pulled out the level sensor...moves...appears OK
Disconnected the tube at the entry point to the windshield area, turned on washer (to check for plugged end points)...no fluid comes out when washer turned on.
So I am looking for ideas here...
Thanks to all in advance.

#2 ·
There are two things that you need to do. The first is to pull your codes and post them. That is ALWAYS the first place you start when trouble-shooting this car. The second thing you need to do is check your udders. If your udders are clogged, then you most likely have drowned your wiper motor and you need to replace it. There's not a whole lot to this problem given the situation that you are experiencing.

One thing to note. This is a part that you can get from your local parts store. It does NOT have to be an expensive AC Delco part. Auto Zone will do.

#3 ·
Windshield WASHER

OK I did not know that I had udders or that they needed milking!
Do not have a code reader (or easy access) but will see what I can do.
Are you suggesting that the WASHER problem is related to the wiper motor? The wipers do work fine in all modes and park correctly.
Isn't there another motor/pump that runs just the washers? Or is it integral to the wiper motor?
I did read the other forum on wiper motor change and will contribute there on the udders.
Thanks

#4 ·
A couple of things here.

First, you need to click on the links that I provided in my initial post as they contain important information about your car. One thing that you would have learned by clicking on the links is that you don't need a device to pull the codes for your car. Second, you say that your washer is not working. I thought that you were saying that your blades are not working.

So your blades work in all modes but the blades do not shoot out any washing fluid, correct? make sure you double-check your grammar when posting so that we can make sense of what you are saying/asking.

#6 ·
What else are they called?...udders, codes

Yes Junkman...the wiper blades work fine...high, low, intermittent.
The problem is the device or mechanism that sprays fluid on the windshield to clean the windshield. It is not working. I have always heard and called them "windshield washers" so sorry if that terminology is causing confusion.
I did follow the links and read the posts. They were your usual high quality.
I have found and cleaned the udders...they had loose leaves and some crud but were dry and cleaned that out. I have since flushed them and all 3 seem open.

CODES: I may have misread a couple after looking at the data base but was working alone with my 53 year old eyes and writing as fast as I could!!!
10 PCM NO CODES
28 TCS NO CODES
40 BCM NO CODES
58 SDM NO CODES
60 IPC B0521H, B1160H
80 RADIO NO CODES
99 HVAC NO CODES
AOLDCM B2282H, B2284H, V1064H (U?)
A1RCDM B2263H, B2283H, B2285H, B2263H, V1064H
A6SCM NO CODES
B0 RFA NO CODES

At the very beginning, I did the obvious or usual stuff:
1) Checked fuse...OK
2) Checked fluiid level...OK
3) Pulled out the level sensor...it moves...appears OK
4) Disconnected the tube at the entry point to the windshield area. Then turned on washer (to check for plugged end points)...no fluid comes out when washer turned on.
I don't hear any motor or pump running when I turn on the washer.

Sorry for taking a couple of weeks to get back to the forum but life is a demanding game...if you play hard!

#11 ·
Windshield washer fixed!!!

This is the easiest job past checking the oil.
Two nuts allow removal of the washer fluid tank.
The washer motor/pump assembly snaps into the bottom of the tank. Gently pull down on the plug area to unsnap the motor pump assembly from the tank.
There is a connector in the wiring with a nice big clip so it's easy to remove. Have someone turn on the washers while you check for 12 Volts at the connector. I had 12 Volts which pretty much eliminates the wiring, switch, rest of car HOORAY!
There is a rubber grommet/gasket between the pump and tank.
The new pump/motor/gasket assembly cost me $13.35 delivered. There is a part number printed on the pump. 8-6710 or another equivalent.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00171Q3HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reinstall:
Clean out the tank
Fit in the gasket/grommet
Plug in the motor
Slide the pump into the gasket
Snap the top of the motor into the tank (test now)
Reinstall the two nuts
Fill with fluid
Congratulate the team.
Easiest and cheapest fix ever. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.