Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Daily Driver due to fuel prices?

6K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  edenney 
#1 ·
Has anyone else found their Corvette becoming their daily driver due to rizing fuel prices? My winter and primary vehicle a F250 is a diesel and only gets 15 to 19 mpg and diesel is over 4 dollars a gallon. It is way cheaper to drive the vette that refuses to get less than 23 mpg around town and up to 30 mpg on a trip and high test unlead cost under 4 dollars a gallon. The plus side is I am always smiling when I'm driving my Vette. Plus I paid alot less for the Vette than my pickup cause i bought it used with only 23000 miles(someone else's garage jewelry.....thanks to the rich who can afford to do this). I'm thinking some rich person is storing my next Vette in their heated garage....please enjoy her while you can cause i'm going to enjoy it more when it becomes mine.

#2 ·
:agree: someone somewhere is about to buy my new zr1...take good care of her for me k?

#7 ·
I force my self to drive the Vette.
:rolling: Me too! It's fun to look at people's faces when you tell them, "No actually I get great fuel economy with my Corvette! In fact on the highway with the cruise set at 75 in 6th gear I'm usually around 30 to 32 mpg."

It's great to go 3 weeks between fill ups when you only drive 22 miles round trip to and from work for 5 or 6 days a week. :thumbsup:

James
1N189

#15 ·
Thats 5mpg before you start it right...:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: I never could figure why they put a carb on the 454. It would have been cheaper to run the gas line directly into the manifold...

#14 ·
People don't believe me when I tell them I get 23+ mpg in my Corvette...

I'd say our Corvettes are right in the national average for gas mileage

#17 ·
My wife's dd is our project crate LS2 powered 85 Vette with auto trans and 3.07 rear axle. Engine is bone stock with headers, CAI, and tuning. She runs the a/c non-stop. It gets 15-16 in her daily drive. Not enough open run to stretch it out - when she does it jumps up much more. However, we have to budget on 15-16.

My 07 Silverado gets 15-16 for me each day. We each drive in different directions each day to the tune of 60 miles total - meaning that if you treated that as ONE car, we get 8 mpg.

I am so over this. My big block 69 vette has EFI and a six speed trans. It will squeek out low 20s on the highway with the a/c going if you baby the heck out of it. In town - it drops to single digits. The good news there is it is a low compression 468 cube and will run on any octane just fine.

Looked at a Saturn last night for $1,100 with a five speed. My 69 Camaro is my dd right now as the trans blew in the 85 Vette and it will now be at least one more week before it runs again. My 69 Camaro with a SLP stage III LS1 in it and auto trans with 3.5 rear gears gets the same 15-16 in town on the run.

My buddy has a 05 six speed Vette that also gets 15-16 in town. Don't know how you guys manage to push low twenties - unless your definition of in-town daily driving and mine don't match. He has tried to baby it like a granny and can't break 16 to and from work in his C6.

It isn't a pride thing - it is a survival thing dudes. My pay isn't increasing. Have to get to and from work....I'm just over it. Trying to switch has a cost associated to - and have to look at it as a long term investiment. Hot rods are getting moth balled right now. Too rich for my blood and I get physically sick and angry when I see the price go up everyday and putting $80+ in 87 octane into my truck makes me not a nice person to be around. I am surprised there isn't more violence from folks more unstable than me at gas stations right now.

#18 ·
thanks

From all the replies to my original post you guys are making me feel not so bad about getting around 15 miles per gallon with my large F-250 super duty pickup. But when the weather is good I'm definetely saving cash and going to take the vette. The major Bonus is I love driving the vette. And yes i do get low to mid 20's mpg around town and around 30 mpg on a long trip.

#19 ·
I'm getting around 17-18 mpg or so says the computer. I'm not sure how accurate that is. I just filled up and reset my trip meter. I'll see how many mile I get out of this tank full.

The gas gauge does seems to be going down faster now then a month ago (just got the car) but I think that is more due to the fact that my right foot is getting heavier. :laughing:

#22 ·
I drive mine every day and love it. I only live 10 miles from work BUT its bumper to bumper both ways so I avg around 19 mpg. still gets better than my wifes monte carlo ss. on trips I get around 31. my wifes monte has the 5.3litre 303 hp with the DOD engine that drops from 8 to 4 cylinders when its not under load and the best we got in that car on the hwy was 26. and yes people look at me like a martiona when i tell them how well the vette does in gas.

note to gas companies: :WTF your killing us......

#28 ·
Gas prices are up because crude prices are up. 126 dollars for a barrel (40 gallons) means over $3.00 just for the crude for a gallon. .18 Fed tax, .30 State tax, .08 profit for oil company, some cost for transportation, some cost for actual refining, some cost for the gas station guy. Price per gallon ads up but costs are same except for crude. Crude is up because China and India are advancing in technology and buying much more oil. We are not going to see prices under $3.00 ever again and more likely over $5.00. Got to share resourses! US uses 70% of world oil but we are only 5% of the world population. The way out is to change technology and finally get away from need for so much oil. Need a C7 Corvette that can get 1500 mpg! And a retrofit kit for C5 to get same mpg!

#23 ·
I am getting 21.0 right now back and forth to work and I do have fun on the on-ramps plus run 80 mph normally.

If I had to choose between our three vehicles (C6 Z06, GMC Canyon, BMW540i) for mpg I would choose the Z06. The Canyon gets about 19 and the 540 about 21 as well.

#24 ·
Gas prices, drive the corvette

I have a Hummer H2 and im knocking down 3 fill-ups a week which is over a $100 buck a fill.... I started driving my vette every time good weather permits. My 02 vette only has 18k miles now, but, it will get a little more exercise this year.:D

#25 ·
I only wish I could drive my Vette everyday but with 2 kids to tote around, Vette is not practical. Besides I really don't want soda and fries all over the interior of it.:laughing: It does get wonderful gas mileage, Supercharger and all!:thumbsup:

#26 ·
12-16 around town, 24+ on the highway. It has to be my daily driver though since its my only car, my options are kind of limited :laughing: :crazy:

#27 ·
Funny this subject came up

I drive about 80 miles a day round trip to work. My Vette was my daily driver during good weather. My nasty day vehicle was a 2001 F350 diesel. With diesel at $4.30 a gallon its been parked for quite a while. The Vette has 107,000 plus miles on it. I want to do a few things and give her a little TLC, so the wife and I joined the "conservative drivers" and bought a 2008 Prius. Feel so outa place in that thing, but you just can't beat 52MPG.:partyon: Didn't(would never) get rid of the Vette. Now I can save a few bucks to put into the Vette, and the fuel savings *almost* makes the payments on the Prius, which BTW I nicknamed "The Golf Cart". It' was a little hard ti get used to it for a few days. You pull up to a light, and the engine cuts off. Keep thinkin it stalled. And what about the prediction of $7.00 a gal by this time next year???? It would cost me about $40.00 to fill up my CB1000.

Thats just wrong. :down: and the oil companies will probably have a profit of a gzillion dollars ......again....:lookinup:

#29 ·
My 2K A4 Vette has always been my daily driver :). I average about 23 with a mix of highway and town miles, and around 30 on the freeway/highway if I'm not goofing around, but I don't get 23 just around town. I'd say more like 19-20 and I don't do burnouts or anything, but I do like to have fun driving it. Just added a Vararam and will be getting a top notch tune soon when I'm done with my planned mods, so we'll see how that affects mileage. Should see a 2-3 mpg increase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.