I repaired 1987 Corvette digital dash cluster myself - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Catman87
DC Crew

Member #71160

My Corvette(s)
1987 Red Coupe

Thumbs up! I repaired 1987 Corvette digital dash cluster myself

Hey everyone, I just repaired my dash in the 87 coupe. Followed Bryan Thompson's article on batee.com and got the dash to light up as it should. Ordered linear polarized film from polarization.com to replace the sunburned film on the front of the lcds, and it looks and works great. The only thing is the speedo is showing km-h, the switch on the control panel is in english, but it doesn't change anything when I move it from english to metric. Is there something else that changes the speedo from km to mph? Thanks, and I hope everyone out there who has a digital cluster that isn't working will follow the instructions and buy the film to fix the sunburn so they can have a great working cluster for less than a hundred bucks.

Having to edit my post. I had been doing a lot of reading up on these dashes, and I remembered the problem with it going dark when the headlights or park lights are turned on. This is happening to mine, but the turn signal indicators come on and stay on. I replaced the headlight switch about a year ago, but I think it still might be the problem. When I installed it, it worked perfectly, but after a while I noticed the headlights don't close when you switch back to park lights. You have to turn them completely off to get them to close, then turn back to park, and the headlights don't open until you turn them on. Any ideas on this? Thanks
P.S. I think I'll go ahead and invest in the headlight switch anyway, just to get them working properly, if nothing else.

Last edited by Catman87; 05-18-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: New problem
Catman87 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
92Roadster

Member #36181

....sounds like a lot of work.... ....but you're gonna have to post some pics.....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Well that's cool. I swapped mine out for analog gauges before it could break.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 05-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
WIT911
DC Crew

Member #13981
Location: Hiding in the dark shadow preparing to jump at you and say "hello there"

My Corvette(s)
'93 40th Annv Coupe (sold), '03 MY Roadster (sold), 2007 LMB Coupe (Grand Sport Tribute)

WIT911 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Streetknight
DC Crew

Member #41796

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Looks good too

Can't wait to get rid of mine! Hasn't worked since day one and can't justify putting the time and $$ into it to repair it knowing I'm yanking it

To the OP, post some pics though It's always good to do something yourself and have it turn out well
Streetknight is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Well, that was interesting...
CF-Laid to rest:09-01-07
R.I.P.

my other home:

...after 86 years of perpetual motion, if he likes you he'll smile and say.
Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic.
but I've had a good life all the way.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
pkazsr
DC Crew

Member #71657

My Corvette(s)
35th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman87 View Post
Hey everyone, I just repaired my dash in the 87 coupe. Followed Bryan Thompson's article on batee.com and got the dash to light up as it should. Ordered linear polarized film from polarization.com to replace the sunburned film on the front of the lcds, and it looks and works great. The only thing is the speedo is showing km-h, the switch on the control panel is in english, but it doesn't change anything when I move it from english to metric. Is there something else that changes the speedo from km to mph? Thanks, and I hope everyone out there who has a digital cluster that isn't working will follow the instructions and buy the film to fix the sunburn so they can have a great working cluster for less than a hundred bucks.

Having to edit my post. I had been doing a lot of reading up on these dashes, and I remembered the problem with it going dark when the headlights or park lights are turned on. This is happening to mine, but the turn signal indicators come on and stay on. I replaced the headlight switch about a year ago, but I think it still might be the problem. When I installed it, it worked perfectly, but after a while I noticed the headlights don't close when you switch back to park lights. You have to turn them completely off to get them to close, then turn back to park, and the headlights don't open until you turn them on. Any ideas on this? Thanks
P.S. I think I'll go ahead and invest in the headlight switch anyway, just to get them working properly, if nothing else.
Just one thought on your edit: The headlights don't go down when switching from headlights to parking lights. Mine does the same thing and I thing this is normal. Sure does make changing the headlights easier.
pkazsr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
VetNutJim
Mind Reader

Member #286

My Corvette(s)
84' 91' 02Z06

Good going on the DigDash Catman!!!

That's normal operation for our headlights/parking lights. Both of my C4's do that. It's just the way the system is designed.
VetNutJim is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Cartrax
DC Crew

Member #79458

My Corvette(s)
1984 Corvette

Cluster Repair Polarizing Film

Just picked up an "84 in need of some TLC (1st vette) and I'm diving into a cluster rebuild. Nothing works on the display right now, and I mean nothing. So anyway, I've read a few fix-it articles but I haven't found one that talks about replacing the burnt film. Looking for some help about that and would also appreciate other recommended sources for general cluster repair.
Cartrax is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Wow, the C4 dash sounds like a nightmare!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
goose1211
DC Crew

Member #76028

My Corvette(s)
84 C4.5

to tell you the truth, i just did my LCD's today and honestly.... i wasnt hard at all. for the past 6 months i have been driving without my dash, then read this post, called George from Alight out of San Antonio, Tx (210-545-6867)and ordered PFA-SM polarized film. 2 sheets that were 10x6 for 32.00 plus 7.80 for shipping. took about 1.5 hrs to rebuilt once the dash was removed. to me, 40 bucks is a hell of alot cheaper than replacing the whole dash (few hundred bucks there). i am among the few that had a sunfaded film and good LCD's. reinstalled the dash, hit the key, and BLAM. looks like the space shuttle is about to launch. i have never been so happy to see the dash light up like this. it is a very easy fix. and cheap.
goose1211 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1211 View Post
to tell you the truth, i just did my LCD's today and honestly.... i wasnt hard at all. for the past 6 months i have been driving without my dash, then read this post, called George from Alight out of San Antonio, Tx (210-545-6867)and ordered PFA-SM polarized film. 2 sheets that were 10x6 for 32.00 plus 7.80 for shipping. took about 1.5 hrs to rebuilt once the dash was removed. to me, 40 bucks is a hell of alot cheaper than replacing the whole dash (few hundred bucks there). i am among the few that had a sunfaded film and good LCD's. reinstalled the dash, hit the key, and BLAM. looks like the space shuttle is about to launch. i have never been so happy to see the dash light up like this. it is a very easy fix. and cheap.
Great, but where's the DIY?
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1211 View Post
to tell you the truth, i just did my LCD's today and honestly.... i wasnt hard at all. for the past 6 months i have been driving without my dash, then read this post, called George from Alight out of San Antonio, Tx (210-545-6867)and ordered PFA-SM polarized film. 2 sheets that were 10x6 for 32.00 plus 7.80 for shipping. took about 1.5 hrs to rebuilt once the dash was removed. to me, 40 bucks is a hell of alot cheaper than replacing the whole dash (few hundred bucks there). i am among the few that had a sunfaded film and good LCD's. reinstalled the dash, hit the key, and BLAM. looks like the space shuttle is about to launch.
Sounds sweet man.
Patrick is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Lowlevlflyer
DC Crew

Member #78289

My Corvette(s)
1987 Z51 red C4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Got any pics of your analog dash? Sounds nice but I couldnt find a pic of it in your gallery.
Lowlevlflyer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1987 red C4 coupe, Z51, Magnaflow catback system, Mallory coil & cap, Moroso Ultra 40 wires, MORE TO COME!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
goose1211
DC Crew

Member #76028

My Corvette(s)
84 C4.5

sorry i didnt have the digital camera. wife took it along with most everything else EXCEPT the vette when we devoriced. if i had it i would have taken step by step on the rebuild. next time i do it i will have one.
goose1211 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Venicevette
DC Crew

Member #69900

My Corvette(s)
C4 corvette 1985 Z51

Unhappy

hi guys...the digital cluster is a real nightmare for many of us,some months ago i tried to fix my faulty one ,using Batee's indications suggested in his tutorial .I had to fix the ground connections (3 wire),then i completely disassembly the cluster,arriving to open the two twin board and creating a new ground connetion between the boards soldering a little wire on one of the two board,i replaced the little bulbs on the cluster,then very carefully i re-assembled everything.when i putted in place the cluster and it worked like new!!! But in some day the cluster was black again... Now i place some analog gauge in the dash using the factory multiconnector line to obtain the needed inputs (tachometer,fuell,oil pressure,water temp)
Venicevette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.