Headlight clicking and half-turns - repair with pics... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

Headlight clicking and half-turns - repair with pics...

Ed.: No half turn or clicking? Scroll ahead to post 7 for wiring/motor test...

Remove the entire assembly (motor separation next post, although pictured here):

Have ready a towel to put down the assembly!
Disconnect headlight power supply.
First remove the screws at the lower assembly - with yellow circle.
Then remove nuts numbered '1' - at both sides of headlight assembly.
Then loosen, BUT DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE, the '2' numbered nuts.
Get your free hand onto the headlight assembly, and apply pressure to keep the assembly in place. Don't make the same mistake I did!!!
Then remove the two remaining nuts #2.
CAREFULLY, pull away the assembly.

Last edited by Blade_1; 08-20-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Blade_1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm always thinkin' (you can tell by the smoke). And we all know stuff don't work when the magic smoke gets out.

Never got paid for wrenchin' so I know nothin' ( I can guess pretty good tho' )...

NO ONE can SMOKE the tires at 60mph. PERIOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

removal of motor from assembly:
loosen bolt 4, second pic
loosen bolt 2, first pic (ALSO GOOD PIC OF THIS BOLT ( in red circle) IN PIC 3)
you can then remove bolt 1 (it will not come out, until bolt '2' is loosened) and you can loosen bolt 3, first pic, and the bolt shown in fourth pic, with a yellow circle, which is on the back side of the h/l motor bracket.

then remove the roll pin in blue circle 3rd pic
The roll pin (blue circle) was tough. I was afraid of manglin' it. I put the penetratin' lube on it, then put the vise grips on it gently and squeezed, so the pin would close a little, and allow the oil to get on the outside of the pin. Turn slowly, and work it - it is tight!!!

I didn't pull it all the way out either - above, first post, red circle.

Last edited by Blade_1; 08-20-2008 at 10:58 AM.
I'm always thinkin' (you can tell by the smoke). And we all know stuff don't work when the magic smoke gets out.

Never got paid for wrenchin' so I know nothin' ( I can guess pretty good tho' )...

Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

Motor breakdown...

Step '2' here - when you lift off the cover, watch for 2 wafer-thin brass washers pics 2, 3, here, bottom right. There's a gasket here, which I replaced with a thin film of RTV silicone.

Step '3' here (Eckler's page) - I didn't do that part...

Step '4' here - see side note; disregard reference to post 24 and 11. Use caution SLOW - the double click is the two brushes on the armature being pushed out by the TINY springs. Again - slow, so the springs don't go ballistic on ya'. A couple of pics of the parts shows a brush spring.

Also watch the nylon gear shaft rotate, as the worm drive/armature is removed, like your distributor from the cam drive. Remember this at re-assembly. I don't know how many teeth you can 'miss' by, with no problems.

(EDIT: watch for a lone ball bearing (see pics) to drop out from the end of the worm drive, when you pull it from the armature housing - see post 5, 2nd pic, to see the ball bearing).

If you're really dedicated, and want to hear sweet music when the repaired h/l works again, do this: re-grease the washer-type ball bearing inside the armature housing. Carefully remove the manual rotation knob from the shaft, and slowly remove the armature winding/shaft from the housing. Buried in there is the washer-bearing, and a few washers. See post 6 pic and not 'reeding', which holds knob onto shaft.

Continue steps 6 -12 here on the Eckler's page; before that, scroll ahead for additional posts and pics for reference/tips. Step 7 here - the shaft is a very tight fit into the nylon gear with the new delrins. I just used hand pressure, no carving.

You'll have to do the fishing line trick to hold the brushes back in - pic 3, and 4, here.

Last edited by Blade_1; 08-21-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

More breakdown/re-assembly...

pic 3; a slight tap with the screwdriver handle will separate the nylon gear from the shaft.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

At re-assembly, watch the lone ball bearing...

Put a dab of grease on the end of the drive, to hold the ball in place...

and remember to turn back the nylon gear from its removed position - it got pulled back by the worm drive, like your distributor off the cam drive.

Remember what I said about leavin' those 2 bolts in place till you get a hand on the headlight assembly?

If you don't, you'll get this:

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

Man blade briliant i could not figure out how to to hold the brushes back if i only thought of that, i just took the whole shaft out of the casing and, did it that way but, i feel like such a bafoon,

let me ask you this what would cuase a motor to no turn what so ever i no you answerd this before but lets say its not the ground what would be the issue?

Last edited by Batman572; 08-19-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: miss spell and punctuation
Batman572 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

No turn at all? Pics edited in to go with text... Don't connect stuff yet - just lay it out, so you can see what you're doin'.

Note - there is a mistake in the FSM wiring diagram: Headlight motor wires are green and grey for both left and right headlight motors.

Now again, note the wiring diagram labels of the wires that go to the 2 motors - A, B, C, and D. NOTE them for the procedure, and when a reference is made to them, change accordingly.

Disconnect lefthand (or righthand, if it is broken) headlamp door 2 way connector. Notice the gray and green wire on the end of the connector that are the headlight motor wires.

Lay out your battery cables, and connect a piece (2nd pic) of wire to the (+) clamp, and another piece of wire to the (-) clamp at one end. Use different colors if possible, to not confuse them. Connect the cables to the battery when your sure the ends are not touching.

Connect the piece of wire on the 12V (+) FUSED (see what I wrote on the schematic about 'fused testing' above) jumper to the GREEN WIRE connector pin. Connect the wire on the (-) cable to the grey pin connector.

The motor should now turn. If you hear only a click in the motor, switch the green and grey pin to wire connector/jumper. It will turn the other way.

If it does not turn, you have either a bad ground from the module to the frame, or a bad headlight module.

I have highlighted what I THINK is the module ground wire. CONFIRM BEFORE CONTINUING THE (-) GROUND TEST!!!

To test the module ground wire, you need a multimeter. Put the (+) mm probe on the battery (+). Unplug the headlight module connector that feeds the harness (both are circled; one of the connectors has a black wire which is the ground wire, and should be connected to the ground on the rail underneath the headlight). Put the mm (-) probe to the black pin in the connector, the same way you did with the other procedure. The mm should show 12V (about).

If it does not show 12V, you have a broken ground wire. If it DOES show 12V, the module is bad.

Last edited by Blade_1; 08-21-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

I've not test the current multimeter I don't have i'm sure i can barrow one you mentioned this before and yes I can and do turn the motor by hand to go out at night
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman572 View Post
I've not test the current multimeter I don't have i'm sure i can barrow one you mentioned this before and yes I can and do turn the motor by hand to go out at night
So it's not seized apparently, and i's getting current. Do you hear anything? Clicking?

When I get into mine tomorrow, I'll snap a pic or 2 where to probe...

Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

no clicking no nothing seems like its not connected intirely but I've gone threw time and time again to be sure it was the one thing I have not done was check the ground and run the multimeter test i beilive the ground to be sufficent because i cleaned them both and placed them back in the manner they were found
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

Quote:
no clicking no nothing seems like its not connected intirely but I've gone threw time and time again to be sure it was the one thing I have not done was check the ground and run the multimeter test i beilive the ground to be sufficent because i cleaned them both and placed them back in the manner they were found
See post 7, test as directed, and post back...

Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

bit lost my friend
Old 08-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Blade_1
DC Crew

Member #74479

My Corvette(s)
'90 LT5

Quote:
bit lost my friend
Pics edited in post 7, for schematic diagnostic procedure....

Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

Ok, blade_1,
Great pictures, they helped me out quiet a bit. I'd like to consider you my only vette friend. Other then one local gentalmen, you are the only person I know who is kind enough to lend a helping hand, and I highly appreciate it.

But onward with the problem.
Today I finally got frusterated and started breaking everything down. First I took a spair battery(12v) I had and touched the ends of the motor wires to it, like you had mentioned. Not surprisingly the motor spun like its never spun before. So after trying everything with the conection set up, it never spun. So I went to the driver side where the "terminal" or "relay box" is and unplugged the connectors. Neither were coroated at all, infact they looked as new as they would if the car just left the factory. So then I took the spair 12v battery and plugged it into the passenger side terrinal plug and sure enough it spun over like a dream. So in conclusion I would say that the "terminal box is cooked and I need a new one I have pictures to insure you know what I am speaking of when I say terminal box

this is the tag on the back, it reads DO NOT REPAIR, REPLACE and shows numbers 3355

Finally, Beforre removal
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Batman572
DC Crew

Member #63622

My Corvette(s)
1994 White C4

AHhhh please do excuse me the terminall I say is the Door moddule that you spoke of ahhhhh hahah I'm sorry

I can get one off of corvette centeral for 160 or so you no anywhere cheaper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.