C5 Door Lock Problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

C5 Door Lock Problem

I just encountered a strange door lock problem. My battery in my 2002 convertible died last week. On the weekend I installed a brand new battery. The car now starts and runs fine but neither power door lock works. I know they worked before. The FOB won't activate the locks nor will the individual door buttons. All I hear is a faint click somewhere in the dash. I reprogrammed to FOB but no help. Any suggestions. The car only has 13,000 miles on it.
Buckeyevette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
It is very odd that both doors would go out at the same time. That makes me think that your problem is different from the norm. However, take a look at this thread anyway as it has a ton of information on door locks and window problems.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

Thanks!

Thanks. I was hoping my problem was some sort of memory loss in the system and not a door module (or two).
Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
bigred vette
DC Crew

Member #43961

My Corvette(s)
2000 vert

do the windows still work?
bigred vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"A true hot rodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster."

The Vette Makes Them Wet

2000 Corvette- LG G5X3 cam, DTE trans brace, RPM level 4 trans, vigilante 3600 stall, AFR 205cc heads, FAST intake,ported throttle body, LG pros,no cats, borla stingers 423.5 RWHP 398 RWTQ
MCM hood, ACI front spoiler, Caravaggio spoiler and side skirts. CCW 505a wheels, Baer rotors, LED taillights

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee- train horn
Old 09-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

Windows Work Fine

My windows work fine. The FOB operates the remote trunk and sets the alarm. The doors just don't lock ... by FOB or by lock buttons on doors.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
c4jeff
DC Crew

Member #50673

My Corvette(s)
2001 Pewter Vert

Hey, did you get your door locks working yet? I just replaced my battery and now have the same problem, so was just wondering if you had any luck with getting them working again.
c4jeff is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

No LucK Yet

Well, I'm sort of glad to hear that I am not alone. That might mean that the solution may not be bad (if I can ever determine what it is). I didn't have time this weekend, but I think I will disconnect and then reconnect the battery. I is worth the try. Please keep me posted if you find anything. I sent the problem to the Corvette magazine Tech Nerd so maybe he will publish and answer in his magazine column.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Wow, I guess my post about this issue is invisible. Did you guys take a look at the link I provided? This is a very common problem, albeit both doors don't usually go at the same time.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

Saw the Post

Hi Junkman - I did see your reply but your comment said that this fix might not apply since both of mine went out at once. Your "fix" is pretty involved. I am hoping for something much simpler. As I said, both locks worked perfectly before I put the new battery in.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
c4jeff
DC Crew

Member #50673

My Corvette(s)
2001 Pewter Vert

Hey Junkman.. thanks for the link.. I did see it, but just haven't made it through all 16 or so pages of the thread yet.. I still find it really odd that they worked perfectly fine prior to the battery dying and then suddenly just stopped after the new one went in... but hey.. I'm up for the challenge..

thanks again for the info..
c4jeff is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyevette View Post
Hi Junkman - I did see your reply but your comment said that this fix might not apply since both of mine went out at once. Your "fix" is pretty involved. I am hoping for something much simpler. As I said, both locks worked perfectly before I put the new battery in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4jeff View Post
Hey Junkman.. thanks for the link.. I did see it, but just haven't made it through all 16 or so pages of the thread yet.. I still find it really odd that they worked perfectly fine prior to the battery dying and then suddenly just stopped after the new one went in... but hey.. I'm up for the challenge..

thanks again for the info..
So both of you guys experienced the same exact problem right after you had a battery issue?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

Right After Battery Change!

Yep. That's what happened on mine. And I have had the battery out several times before, after winter storage. I charge it up and put it back. This time the battery died during the summer after frequent use so I just replaced it. It was a Duralast Gold with warranty remaining. Locks were perfect before the swap --- never had a hint of problem. Plus, the car just turned 13,000 miles. I hope GM designed things to be robust on a car like a Corvette.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Yep. That's what happened on mine. And I have had the battery out several times before, after winter storage. I charge it up and put it back. This time the battery died during the summer after frequent use so I just replaced it. It was a Duralast Gold with warranty remaining. Locks were perfect before the swap --- never had a hint of problem. Plus, the car just turned 13,000 miles. I hope GM designed things to be robust on a car like a Corvette.
You didn't recently get the car wet as in wash it or drive it in the rain before the locks quit working, did you?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Buckeyevette
DC Crew

Member #75375

My Corvette(s)
2002 C5 Convertible

I washed the car just before I had battery problems but it hasn't seen rain in a few years. In fact, I started the car and drove it to my driveway to wash it. After washing it, I got in to take a ride and it wouldn't start. I coasted down my drive and popped the clutch and it started right away. I then drove it about 15 miles and returned home. It restarted right away but a few days later the battery was dead.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
I washed the car just before I had battery problems but it hasn't seen rain in a few years. In fact, I started the car and drove it to my driveway to wash it. After washing it, I got in to take a ride and it wouldn't start. I coasted down my drive and popped the clutch and it started right away. I then drove it about 15 miles and returned home. It restarted right away but a few days later the battery was dead.
Okay, here's what you need to do. First, inspect this connector (you'll need to pull that accordion thing apart in order to see the connector:

See that bare wire? What normally happens is the serial bus wire sheaf pulls out of the connector and the bare wire grounds out. Pull it back down and tape in in place to keep it from happening again. If THAT doesn't resolve your issue, it gets a bit more complicated.

This is a picture of the PCM (Powertrain Control Module):

Make sure that you disconnect the battery before doing any of this!

The silver box is the PCM. It can be accessed by removing the wheelhouse filler. The black box in front of the PCM is the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module. What you need to do is unplug the connectors to the PCM and see if they have any water or corrosion in them. They should be spotless. If they do have evidence of water intrusion, then you need to clean those connectors throughly and treat them with some dielectric grease before you plug them back into the PCM. The next thing you need to do is check your udders because this is the leading cause of those connectors getting wet in the first place (short of you stopping the car in a two foot deep water puddle...).

I bet you connectors are corroded. If you do this repair, be sure and take pictures of what you find so that others can benefit from your experience.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-07-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.