Ballpark Cost to Recondition/Paint Body? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C1 Corvette Forums > C1 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C1 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
58WhiteVette
DC Crew

Member #75755

Ballpark Cost to Recondition/Paint Body?

I have a 1958 Corvette with an all original body that has had most of its exterior paint removed in preparation to be repainted. As with a lot of projects its been put on hold for a number of years. I'm looking to have the body removed from the chassis and completely reconditioned and painted. I'm just starting to look into this now and I was wondering what I should expect to pay to have this type of work completed? I'm located in New Jersey and if you could recommend any shops in the area please share.
58WhiteVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

HI 58WV
Welcome to DC You can find prices from a few thou to 20 or 30 thou and up. Any collision or rust damage to the frame? Still have the original engine? Frame offs with original parts aren't cheap. After market suspension, frame and drive line parts increase driveability but reduce originality. It's kind of a personal preference. Make sure you check out the shop completely and oversee alll the work. All in all it won't be cheap. Make sure you take a bunch of pics of the whole process
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
58WhiteVette
DC Crew

Member #75755

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
HI 58WV
Welcome to DC You can find prices from a few thou to 20 or 30 thou and up. Any collision or rust damage to the frame? Still have the original engine? Frame offs with original parts aren't cheap. After market suspension, frame and drive line parts increase driveability but reduce originality. It's kind of a personal preference. Make sure you check out the shop completely and oversee alll the work. All in all it won't be cheap. Make sure you take a bunch of pics of the whole process

Thanks for the quick reply Torch. The frame and body are collision free and the frame doesn't have any rust holes. The car really hasn't been driven much in the last 30 years. It doesn't have the original engine and I don't think it has the original transmission. The engine in it now is a 327 from I believe a 67 Vette.

What I would like to do is hand over the body and hardtop to a shop to finish and complete all of the body work and paint. At the sametime I would be restoring the chassis and the drivetrain.

Do you really think it would be between 20k - 30k to do the body work and paint on the body?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Not sure this is a good play. With the body off the frame and then putting it on painted and ready to go you are increasing your chances of a stress fractor to your new paint. I'd pull the body and do all the chassis work then put the body back on the frame then bring it to the body shop. They can mask off the frame and keep it nice while doing the body work.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
DCRANER
DC Crew

Member #5812

Hey there. I have been working with a friend on a 58 body off, something you would see at Barrett - Jackson. I'm in Jersey, do you mind telling me where you are?

Anyway, we made a jig for the body, with body shims, then welded a bar in the door frame to secure all. But, this can be tricky. A quality body shop / paint job would be aroung the 25k level in my opinion. Body work will be needed once you see the bare glass IMO. We did the frame, then wraped it in plastic, then put body back on frame, then to the body shop.

I have a trusted quality guy in my area, one I know if you spend that kind of money it is done right and he stands behind the work.

Hope I can be of help.

Tks.
DCRANER is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
rjent
DC Crew

Member #34743

My Corvette(s)
1974 modified coupe 1974 matching #'s vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Not sure this is a good play. With the body off the frame and then putting it on painted and ready to go you are increasing your chances of a stress fractor to your new paint. I'd pull the body and do all the chassis work then put the body back on the frame then bring it to the body shop. They can mask off the frame and keep it nice while doing the body work.
I agree with raid

Get your mechanicals done first put it back together and then paint it! You will have a lot less damage to it.

Do you plan to keep and drive it, or show it?

We are all looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished ride brother!
rjent is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
All Righty Then

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something, and ask yourself two questions:

1. Have you felt and known joy in your life
2. Have you given joy to someone else ....

Tell everyone about your car!

30 years of Corvette ownership
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
58WhiteVette
DC Crew

Member #75755

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRANER View Post
Hey there. I have been working with a friend on a 58 body off, something you would see at Barrett - Jackson. I'm in Jersey, do you mind telling me where you are?

I have a trusted quality guy in my area, one I know if you spend that kind of money it is done right and he stands behind the work.
DCRANER,

I'm in the central Jersey area. What is the name and location of the shop? Do you happen to have any pictures of your 58?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjent View Post
Do you plan to keep and drive it, or show it?

We are all looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished ride brother!

If I go through with it I would like to enjoy it. Driving it, showing it, and even drag racing it.

Here are some old photos of it when my Dad owned it. He passed away a couple of years ago and my brother and I would love to put it back together. However, I also want to be realistic on how much it might cost.

This is taken sometime between 1970 - 1975

This is taken back in 1998
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
DCRANER
DC Crew

Member #5812

[QUOTE=58WhiteVette;1250561]DCRANER,

I'm in the central Jersey area. What is the name and location of the shop? Do you happen to have any pictures of your 58?

Hey 58WhiteVette, I'm in central jersey also, Atlantic Highlands. The shop is Finelines in Atlantic Highlands, Keith is the owner. Very trusted guy with excellent rep. for major projects. He is a friend of mine but again, 100% honest man, hard to find these days. I have many pics, will have to post when get a chance, but you are welcome to come visit me if you are close. It's a 58 low HP fuelie, with power hydr. top and power windows, kind of a rare piece. I have done a number of restorations over the years and on this car can show you what has worked out well and what areas "we have learned a little lesson on" so to speak. We are at the assembly stage, a nut & bolt complete body off.

Tks. DCRANER
DCRANER is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
vette427-sbc
DC Crew

Member #50341

My Corvette(s)
'69 Coupe

Im in monmouth county too, My dad had his car painted at a place in keyport (PM me for the name of the place) He has/had a beautiful 69 vette there, I will be taking mine there too when it is time.
The best way to find out painters in the local areas is to go to the carshows and look at other peoples car's. Thats what we did. Nothing but the best for a black car:

vette427-sbc is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'69 Vette- T56, 350, full chromo cage, lots of weight reduction. Drive it to the road course, beat on it and drive it home.
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...sbc/?start=all
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
rjent
DC Crew

Member #34743

My Corvette(s)
1974 modified coupe 1974 matching #'s vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58WhiteVette View Post
If I go through with it I would like to enjoy it. Driving it, showing it, and even drag racing it.
I have owned one of my C3's for almost 30 years. I have painted it three times. I have always looked at a paint job as the most rapidly deteriorating part of the car. You CAN spend huge money on a paint job, but if you want to enjoy the car, drive it, and drag it, get a 2 to 4K paint job and be happy with it.

I have a pro body and paint guy, who works for a Chevy dealership, and does painting at his home in a booth. He paints my cars for 1200 to 1500 dollars with me doing a lot of the buffing and sanding (he taught me how ). Many here on DC have seen my vert. It is a great paint job and I am proud to show the car. (it was until a rock the size of a VW hit the passenger door in LA this spring )

Like it was suggested, go to some car shows, and look for the quality you want and start asking questions. Remember, most body shops DON'T want to do body and paint on our cars. It takes too much time as they make too much money on insurance jobs.

JMHO
rjent is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
All Righty Then

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something, and ask yourself two questions:

1. Have you felt and known joy in your life
2. Have you given joy to someone else ....

Tell everyone about your car!

30 years of Corvette ownership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.