Front air dam removal? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
3Speeds
DC Crew

Member #74810

My Corvette(s)
2009 C6 Coupe, NPP, Mag Ride

Front air dam removal?

On my new 09 C6 Coupe I keep scraping the plastic front air dam, just below the nose. I live in the hills and there are lots of potholes, bumps and such, and I keep scraping. Very annoying.
Ok, so can I remove it with out any nasty ramifications? Or will the front end fall off?
3Speeds is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2004 6-speed Convertible

It's for cooling so I wouldnt remove it. They are made to handle the scrapes and bounce right back. Be careful with the potholes and speed bumps also and just enjoy your 09 Corvette!! Plus if you have to take it to the dealership for a service repair they might wonder whats going on with you removing the rad. cooling air dam.

BLK 1
BLK 1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Dutch Meurer
DC Crew

Member #29577

My Corvette(s)
2005 C6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 1 View Post
It's for cooling so I wouldnt remove it. They are made to handle the scrapes and bounce right back. Be careful with the potholes and speed bumps also and just enjoy your 09 Corvette!! Plus if you have to take it to the dealership for a service repair they might wonder whats going on with you removing the rad. cooling air dam.

BLK 1
The Air Damn is not there for cooling the radiator, That's what the front inlet is for. The Air Damn is there to reduce the airflow underneath the car to prevent lift at high speed.
Dutch Meurer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
3Speeds
DC Crew

Member #74810

My Corvette(s)

AAh, we have a quandry here, looks like a difference of opinion! Thats good, differences are healthy. Just look at our upcoming elections!
From all my study and training I believe that the air dam is to reduce the amount of air flowing under the car, providing a cleaner undercarriage, hence a little downforce at higher speeds. Ok, so if I am not a continual high speed warrior, rarely getting over 100, (so far), how much danger is there in removing it?

Has anyone removed their air dam, and did you feel any difference in day to day driving?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Ugolino
DC Crew

Member #64180

The air dam isn't there to provide cooling or "prevent lift", whatever that means. It's there to prevent hot air from recirculating through the engine bay while the car is idling or in stop-and-go traffic. You can safely remove the air dam if you want, and there will be no noticeable difference in coolant temps or driveability (you won't go flying off the road due to "lift", whatever that is) if the scraping bothers you. But I agree that the air dam is designed to bend and flex, so the scraping is very normal. It even says so in the owner's manual.
Ugolino is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
racerw
DC Crew

Member #4349

My Corvette(s)
08 2LT, 6 speed Z51 coupe, Comp grey wheels

I would not remove it. I always worry about it scraping and inspect it regularly. It is a tough SOB. Sounds ten times worse than it is. I have heard all of the above before, have no idea if it is true or not. It does however say in the manual that is will sound horrible, but will not damage easily.
racerw is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
3Speeds
DC Crew

Member #74810

My Corvette(s)

All very interesting comments, and thanks. I removed both the right and left corner air dams which are made of hard plastic. There was definate scraping found. The center dam is made out of a much softer rubber, so I left that on. I had an IMMEDIATE reduction in scraping noise, so the outside dams were the main culprits. I still hear the center dam scrape, but hardly at all. BTW, the corner dams are only held on by three sheet metal screws, very easy to remove.

The only thing I can see that the lack of dams may cause is less air into the brake duct inlets which are directly above the dams. We'll see.....

Thanks again to all
Old 10-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Hootbhd
DC Crew

Member #39081

My Corvette(s)
Yellow/Black 2000 C5 Coupe

I would leave it on just scrape it and if you ever break it buy a new one. I have faith it will hold up. I love the scraping the ground F1 car look.
Hootbhd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Bilstein shocks, Zip lowering bolts, Hotchkis sway bars, Blackwing air fliter, Corsa Indy Pace
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Dutch Meurer
DC Crew

Member #29577

My Corvette(s)
2005 C6 Coupe

Air Damn

Since there still seems to be some confusion on the air damn let me clarify my last post.
Air Damn definition: A front spoiler mounted beneath the bumper and shaped to reduce the airflow under the car. Air damns can increase the air flow to the radiators but it is not their primary purpose which is to reduce aerodynamic drag, and/or reduce LIFT.
Dutch Meurer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
b2gcoder
DC Crew

Member #50962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Meurer View Post
Since there still seems to be some confusion on the air damn let me clarify my last post.
Air Damn definition: A front spoiler mounted beneath the bumper and shaped to reduce the airflow under the car. Air damns can increase the air flow to the radiators but it is not their primary purpose which is to reduce aerodynamic drag, and/or reduce LIFT.
with the exception that the "dam" increases turbulence under the car that results in reduced lift. There is an slightly increased engine cooling effect when removed; I removed the center portion on my supercharged car as a little insurance against heating. On most C6 dams, there is a horizontal molding line that runs across the middle dam; you can use shears to remove about 1 inch from the dam that might help your situation. Hope this helps
b2gcoder is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.