DTC P2135 throttle position sensor problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)
2005 Z51 Twin Turbo, 2008 Z51 (wifes), 2010 ZR1

DTC P2135 throttle position sensor problem

I have been having a random code send my car into reduced engine power. It is code p2135 throttle position sensor A/B voltage correllation?? I have swapped the throttle pedal and throttle body and checked all connections. Anybody else ever had this? I can clear the code with a tech II and then the car will run fine. It usually happens after I have run the car for a few miles and thenshut it down for a while...upon starting I usually get the code within a mile?? i read somewhere it could be a low battery voltage problem or PCM problem???
BAADC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
extanker
DC Crew

Member #52932

My Corvette(s)
01 coup

i have a snap on scan tool but in some areas a tech 2 is better...before you clear the code check if the ecm is holding a fault data and/or does the tech 2 have any tests you can run,can you look at multiple data lines....can the scan tool flight record...is there a WOT switch hooked up to/through the TAC module ?
extanker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Braciole
DC Crew

Member #74224

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6 LS2 Z51 3LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAADC6 View Post
I have been having a random code send my car into reduced engine power. It is code p2135 throttle position sensor A/B voltage correllation?? I have swapped the throttle pedal and throttle body and checked all connections. Anybody else ever had this? I can clear the code with a tech II and then the car will run fine. It usually happens after I have run the car for a few miles and thenshut it down for a while...upon starting I usually get the code within a mile?? i read somewhere it could be a low battery voltage problem or PCM problem???
Wow Ed cant figure it out???
Id tell ya but Ed would say its over my head LOL!
Braciole is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 C6 LS2 mn6 Z51 3LT
416 STROKED LS3 BY CARTEK
RPS Street Twin Carbon Clutch, 160 stat, CCWs RPM T56 Level 5 Zip Built SEVERE-DUTY rear 4.10
9S ARE ON THE GRILL
Old 05-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Gr8White
DC Crew

Member #84511

My Corvette(s)
H/C LS3 WITH SPRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciole View Post
Gr8White is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
crushmonster
DC Crew

Member #78854

My Corvette(s)
07 TT z06 97 TT c5

Quote:
Have Ed check the tune. The new beta software has more tables in it to adjust the throttle. Might be something simple. Also check to see if anything it hitting the trottle plate. I have had filters break up and hit the trottle plate makeing the same code appear.

Good luck...
crushmonster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1997 Corvette "CRRRUSH"
Forged 347, APS TT, CARTEK SD TUNE, PFADT COIL OVER AND SWAYS, AMS 1000 ,LI SOUNDS, CUSTOM PAINT

2007 Z06 "MONSTERR"
LSX 427, ET HEADS, APS TT, 2.5 BAR SD TUNE (MYSELF MOTORS), AMS 1000, 1031RWHP
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker View Post
i have a snap on scan tool but in some areas a tech 2 is better...before you clear the code check if the ecm is holding a fault data and/or does the tech 2 have any tests you can run,can you look at multiple data lines....can the scan tool flight record...is there a WOT switch hooked up to/through the TAC module ?
I'll have to check?? I know the tech II can move the throttle body and perform some tests. ed did a few tests. problem is that everytime I take the car to the shop it's fine I drove for hours with ed and the techII and hp tuners logging and no problems....He gave me his tech 2 to keep with me just in case i get stranded
He is going to check it out for me monday.... i was just trying to get a little info to help
Old 05-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
he'll probably figure it out monday...i was just curious if anybody else ever had this code
Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushmonster View Post
Have Ed check the tune. The new beta software has more tables in it to adjust the throttle. Might be something simple. Also check to see if anything it hitting the trottle plate. I have had filters break up and hit the trottle plate makeing the same code appear.

Good luck...
thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
crushmonster
DC Crew

Member #78854

My Corvette(s)
07 TT z06 97 TT c5

Quote:
thanks
Anytime... somthing has to be hittin the trottle plate.
1997 Corvette "CRRRUSH"
Forged 347, APS TT, CARTEK SD TUNE, PFADT COIL OVER AND SWAYS, AMS 1000 ,LI SOUNDS, CUSTOM PAINT

2007 Z06 "MONSTERR"
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
racingvette
DC Crew

Member #77946

My Corvette(s)
01 & 08 Z06s

Quote:
I'll have to check?? I know the tech II can move the throttle body and perform some tests. ed did a few tests. problem is that everytime I take the car to the shop it's fine I drove for hours with ed and the techII and hp tuners logging and no problems....He gave me his tech 2 to keep with me just in case i get stranded
He is going to check it out for me monday.... i was just trying to get a little info to help
Surprising whoever that tech guy is steering you into the wrong function and does not know what TPS is ?

Gas pedal would be APP 1,2,3 and would have their own DTC error codes.

That error is for TPS and relies on the sensor on the other side of the TB.
It is common with fricked up air mods to confuse the PCM or TAC as to the amount of airmass versus the reported butterfly angle.
Else the sensor, bad crimps to the pins plugged into TPS or at the connector end of the TAC.

Kinda funny is we Corvette owners know more about these cars then the claimed tuner pros.

The throttle position (TP) sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with three circuits:

A 5-volt reference circuit
A low reference circuit
A signal circuit
The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The control module provides each TP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit.

The TP sensors then provide the control module with signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. Both TP sensor signal voltages are low at closed throttle and increase as the throttle opens. When the control module detects that TP sensor 1 signal and TP sensor 2 signals disagree or signal voltages are outside the predetermined range, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P1518 or P2108 not set.
The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The TP sensor 2 disagrees with the TP sensor 1 by more than 7.5 percent.
The above condition is present for more than 1 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the throttle actuator control (TAC) module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.

When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
If this DTC is determined to be intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .

Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
racingvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
600 RWHP
ET : 9.7
Trap : 140 MPH
Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
crushmonster
DC Crew

Member #78854

My Corvette(s)
07 TT z06 97 TT c5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
Surprising whoever that tech guy is steering you into the wrong function and does not know what TPS is ?

Gas pedal would be APP 1,2,3 and would have their own DTC error codes.

That error is for TPS and relies on the sensor on the other side of the TB.
It is common with fricked up air mods to confuse the PCM or TAC as to the amount of airmass versus the reported butterfly angle.
Else the sensor, bad crimps to the pins plugged into TPS or at the connector end of the TAC.

Kinda funny is we Corvette owners know more about these cars then the claimed tuner pros.

The throttle position (TP) sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with three circuits:

A 5-volt reference circuit
A low reference circuit
A signal circuit
The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The control module provides each TP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit.

The TP sensors then provide the control module with signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. Both TP sensor signal voltages are low at closed throttle and increase as the throttle opens. When the control module detects that TP sensor 1 signal and TP sensor 2 signals disagree or signal voltages are outside the predetermined range, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P1518 or P2108 not set.
The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The TP sensor 2 disagrees with the TP sensor 1 by more than 7.5 percent.
The above condition is present for more than 1 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the throttle actuator control (TAC) module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.

If this DTC is determined to be intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .

Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

There ya go... "by the book"
1997 Corvette "CRRRUSH"

2007 Z06 "MONSTERR"
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Tony B
DC Crew

Member #46350

My Corvette(s)
Fastest Cam only A6 10.844@125.83mph

Quote:
Tony B is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Tony B
DC Crew

Member #46350

My Corvette(s)

Don't know what year you have, but I had the same problem. It actually happened to me at the track rental. I have an 06,

This is the fix for the 06's....

Under Engine Diagnostics----General----TPS Sensor there are two settings

P2101 Postive 6.91%
P2101 Negitive 6.91%

These two should be set at 9-10% depending on your cam.

Also under P0068----Enable RPM should be set higher than your idle. Say around 1500rpms.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Don't know what year you have, but I had the same problem. It actually happened to me at the track rental. I have an 06,

This is the fix....

Under Engine Diagnostics----General----TPS Sensor there are two settings

P2101 Postive 6.91%
P2101 Negitive 6.91%

These two should be set at 9-10% depending on your cam.

Also under P0068----Enable RPM should be set higher than your idle. Say around 1500rpms.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tony. The car is an 05 but all the electronics are 06, is this something I would change with HP tuners? I am going to buy HP just for logging purposes etc. but don't have it yet. I'll have it checked on Monday
Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
Tony B
DC Crew

Member #46350

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Thanks Tony. The car is an 05 but all the electronics are 06, is this something I would change with HP tuners? I am going to buy HP just for logging purposes etc. but don't have it yet. I'll have it checked on Monday

Yes, these setting are in the HPTuners VCM Editor. Since you have the 06 ecm it should work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.