Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

**Offical LG GT2 Corvette Rebuild Thread**

12K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Anthony@LGM 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Everyone remembers the scary and horrible fire at Long Beach with Boris behind the wheel of our GT2 Corvette. I am happy to announce that the car is going back together now and will make it's first appearance at the Corvette's of Carlisle show then onto Watkins for it's first shake down runs before Atlanta.

Fire!!

Blasted and Cleaned Frame

Blasted and Cleaned Frame

Frame being Primed

Frame being painted

Frame complete in red

Front Suspension mounted

Rear suspension going together

Center Switch panel stack

Dash rebuilt and ready for install

Pedals, Steering column, and shifter being installed

Louis and myself are going at it pretty quickly now, so I will be updating the thread with new pictures as the car comes together so STAY TUNED!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool thanks:partyon:

#8 ·
Sunday Morning Update...

Rear Spindles assembled with half shafts

EMCO Transaxle with mid plates attached and ready for Install

Under Dash wiring and plumbing ready for dash install

Under Column area ready for Dash Install

Electronics panel including; PDU, Bosch ECU, and Motec Data

#10 ·
Wednesday night / Thursday Morning Update 7-22-09

Engine Dressed for Install

BellHousing and Driveshaft adapter plate with slave installed

Rear 4 Piston caliper being cleaned for Rebuild

Front 6 Piston caliper being cleaned for Rebuild

Think your 6 Piston Brembo MonoBlock is Big? :D

#11 ·
Are those brakes dictated by the GT2 rules? I know you guys have a lot of confidence in Stop-Tech, that is what prompted this question?

:cheers:

#12 ·
In GT2 we have to use iron rotors were as the GT1 cars are allowed to use carbon units.

I believe size is the only limiting factor, as we do use a 15" front rotor on the car.

StopTech has been great to work with, and for the W.C. cars they provided one of the best braking units we have used in a long time. For street cars and home racers they are one of the best bangs for the buck you can find.

They do not however make a caliper quite this size. As you can see the pad cage is HUGE, I can almost fit the Brembo inside this one. They use a 30mm thick pad on each side, where as the largest the StopTech can fit is a 20mm (compared to a 15mm stock thickness pad). This is done so you can try and make it through a race like the 10 HRS of Atlanta without a pad change. At the same time, there are no tools required for pad changes with these so if you do have to make a pad change, it is very quick to do so.

By comparison, you can almost get a four wheel StopTech kit for what is in this picture....

:surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised

#15 ·
Update 7-31-09

Well things are moving along, Louis has been finalizing a lot of the wiring so not a lot of exciting update pictures for you just yet, but be looking for a lot of movement next week!

New ATL cell (passenger side)

Completed ATL cell (driver side)

Rocker Panel Under Repair

#17 ·
A lot of prep going into this week's photos.

To give you an idea the floor of these cars has to be completely flat, we are given roughly a 5mm tolerance from this. You can see this in the pictures below as we string the car front to back and pick points along the floor before mounting.

To cut down on heat we are going a few more steps and covering the firewall with Ti, and it will be covered in gold just like the tunnel of the car was as well. :eek:

Firewall heat Protection in progress

Fuel cells being installed

Fuel plumbing started

Preparing for floor install

Checking for flatness

Side Pipe heat protection

#18 ·
8-11-09 Update

Can't talk long.....lot of work to still get done today, but here is some eye candy for you!!

Gold covering the firewall

Wiper Arm assembly

Roof mounted, just about to come off the rotisserie

Passenger Floor ready to go in

Floors mounted

Passenger compartment

#19 ·
This is cool, but why are there like 5 threads about this?

I was wondering why my posts kept disappearing.

#20 ·
8-12-09 Update

Few more pics for you from last night and this morning.

Transaxle going in

Engine going in, Passenger side header mounted

Lou checking on the Progress!

Over the next couple days I am finishing all of the hose plumbing through the entire car as well as updating some floor mounts.

#21 ·
8-14-09 Update

Transaxle cooler with fan

Rear car plumbing started

Rear plumbing done, just awaiting final mounting and tie down

Power Steering rack and alternator mounted

Columbus checking caliper mounts and lines

Should be finishing up the fuel cell tank mounts, and fuel lines......with any luck, start it tonight or end of the day Saturday.

#22 ·
Friday 8-21-09 Update

She started last night (Louis will have video today). It should be sitting on it's tires by tonight and then concentrating on cleaning up the remaining hoses and wires so this weekend the body can go on for good and the car can get a complete polish and wax.

Side Pipes with Mufflers going on

Front Splitter and Radiator assembly

Brake duct hoses

Rocker Panel installed

Under Hood Plumbing complete

Under Engine Plumbed

Transaxle installed for final with fuel cells.

#23 ·
8-23-09 Update

Saturday night. All systems go. Car runs, drives and is now on the dyno. Tomorrow final detail and systems check. Body detail and mounting tomorrow after noon.

Rear suspension going together

Ready for air boxes

Air boxes on, Notice the tiny restrictors

Rear suspension, fueling, wiring, tires on!

Passenger side compartment detail

On the Dyno

Other than that...it's late and I will see you all on here tomorrow...then in Carlisle in just a few short days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.