c4 to c5 brake conversion problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

c4 to c5 brake conversion problem

I bought the brackets from someone off of ebay and I think they're wrong. The brackets (for 88 up- my car is 92) has milled out pockets where I've seen others that have raised metal where the abutment attaches.

I've got a terrible rattle, shuttering vibration at the end of braking (only went to end of my street) and when I took the wheel off-

the pads seem loose and the rotor moves- I'm either suspecting this conversion bracket has the abutment and therefore the caliper off by 1/8-1/4" or I have another problem?

any ideas?

Now the Check ASR light is on as well.
socalman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
vetteoz
DC Crew

Member #1251

My Corvette(s)
1990 383 T400 4 Link 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman View Post
the rotor moves.
What is stopping the rotor from sitting tight and square on the hub?
vetteoz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz
Old 08-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Do your brackets look like these?

raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 08-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
What is stopping the rotor from sitting tight and square on the hub?
the brackets are a flat surface- the face of the knuckle is not, at least on a 92'; the knuckle has 2 flat surfaces the size of a quarter around the holes where the bolts grab the abutment- the rest of the knuckle has a slight taper.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Do your brackets look like these?

It's shaped that way, but he made it perfectly flat- no protrusions anywhere- the 2 holes for the abutment connection actually are recessed. The bracket is aprox 3/8" thick- but due to the recessed holes, and looking at your picture, I'm concerned it's the bracket design that is causing the issue.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

I agree with you, I'm concerned that you have a loose bracket. You should contact Jeffvette. He makes the conversion brackets I have them on my car and they are a quality product.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I agree with you, I'm concerned that you have a loose bracket. You should contact Jeffvette. He makes the conversion brackets I have them on my car and they are a quality product.
nothing is loose- but I think the bracket is placing the abutment in the wrong location. Do you know if the rotor should be centered on the abutment? dead center? and if it's too close on one side or the other, putting the caliper off centered would be the cause? is it possible the larger brakes just screwed with the ASR/ABS brain? Could you tell me that if you were to take off your wheel that the rotor can be moved (wiggled) easily by hand once the brakes have been applied (but not with someone on the pedal?) I'm really for a loss here as to the cause and I don't have a C5 to look at to determine where the caliper should be sitting at the rotor.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Jeffvette
DC Crew

Member #9110

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 & 1985 POS & 1991 Coupe racecar

Socalman. Go out to the garage and post pictures slowly tearing down your stuff. Take pics with lug nuts on the rotor holding it in place. If the abutment bracket is off, it could cause a kink but the rotor would not be allowed to spin.

Who did you get this bracket from?
Jeffvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Socalman. Go out to the garage and post pictures slowly tearing down your stuff. Take pics with lug nuts on the rotor holding it in place. If the abutment bracket is off, it could cause a kink but the rotor would not be allowed to spin.

Who did you get this bracket from?
I got it from a guy off ebay. I've been having converstations with him, but appears he never did it himself- only a machine shop. Can you send me an email to rssdh@roadrunner.com? I can send you some pictures of what he sent me. I also would like to get a set of brackets from you- I'll settle with this guy later.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
sdlamb100
DC Crew

Member #69481

My Corvette(s)
C4 Convertible

Quote:
I got it from a guy off ebay. I've been having converstations with him, but appears he never did it himself- only a machine shop. Can you send me an email to rssdh@roadrunner.com? I can send you some pictures of what he sent me. I also would like to get a set of brackets from you- I'll settle with this guy later.
Post the pics you take. I have a 91 and had a bit of confusion as well when I did the swap but ultimately there was no problem after a couple trial fits. I can send you pics of mine if you still need assistance. Good luck. By the way ........ The upgrade looks great when done, don't give up!
sdlamb100 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Jeffvette
DC Crew

Member #9110

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 & 1985 POS & 1991 Coupe racecar

Quote:
Email sent. Send me the auction number as well.
Jeffvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Coolblue65
DC Crew

Member #22599

My Corvette(s)
92 Coupe

I have a '92 and did the swap some time ago, it is a straight forward swap and should be very simple.

the wheel/lug nuts are essentially what hold the rotor tight to the hub, so with the wheel off yes you would be able to wiggle your rotor a bit, typically after some use, a bit of corrosion starts and makes the rotors stick a bit more and wont tend to move with the wheel off.

As far as the caliper & bracket fitment, C5 rotors are not fully fixed rotors, so even if lets say the bracket is off a millimeter, the caliper will adjust the pads the first time you hit the pedal and essentially center it self. It should pretty much be centered, but if its slightly off as long as the bracket is not touching it should not give you problems.

You should not have any ABS/ASR lights coming on because of this swap. I suggest checking your brake fluid's level and making sure you bleed the brakes properly. The sensor on the Master cylinder is very sensitive and even when it slightly low mine would go one so I would just have to add a splash of fluid.

Did you put the 3 metal spring/brake silencers in the caliper before loading the pads?

you can see pictures of the conversion brackets I used on the first page of this post, just scroll down a bit: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=c5+brake+swap
Coolblue65 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296296
Arctic White/Red leather '92 A4 Coupe
-C5 brakes
-Grand Sport Stripes
-Muffler Eliminators
-K&N w/open lid
-Trans cooler
-A-Molds
-95-Gills

1965 Mustang Coupe
-460HP 347 w/ Tremec 3550 5-speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2164272
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolblue65 View Post
I have a '92 and did the swap some time ago, it is a straight forward swap and should be very simple.

the wheel/lug nuts are essentially what hold the rotor tight to the hub, so with the wheel off yes you would be able to wiggle your rotor a bit, typically after some use, a bit of corrosion starts and makes the rotors stick a bit more and wont tend to move with the wheel off.

As far as the caliper & bracket fitment, C5 rotors are not fully fixed rotors, so even if lets say the bracket is off a millimeter, the caliper will adjust the pads the first time you hit the pedal and essentially center it self. It should pretty much be centered, but if its slightly off as long as the bracket is not touching it should not give you problems.

You should not have any ABS/ASR lights coming on because of this swap. I suggest checking your brake fluid's level and making sure you bleed the brakes properly. The sensor on the Master cylinder is very sensitive and even when it slightly low mine would go one so I would just have to add a splash of fluid.

Did you put the 3 metal spring/brake silencers in the caliper before loading the pads?

you can see pictures of the conversion brackets I used on the first page of this post, just scroll down a bit: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=c5+brake+swap
Thanks- I walked through your and the other 3 threads that were in the C4-5 swap sticky-

First question- do you remember your knuckle having recessed areas where the 2 abutment bolts went through? the knuckle is not perfectly flat? Also, is the thickness of the bracket the same throughout?

Looking further into this after I took everything apart- I see that the knuckle is not perfectly flat- causing the bracket to sit at a slight kilter at the top. If I attach the rotor with a couple lug nuts and then try to slip the abutment bracket between the rotor and the conversion bracket- I can get it though on the bottom no problem, at the top I cannot- probably 1/4" difference in spacing between the conversion and the rotor.

When I first set it up I noticed that the knuckle had recesses where the mounting holes are so I stuck a washer in there to flush out the surface for the conversion bracket to sit. The rotor at least turned ok- but there was a rub every full turn for aprox 1/4 of the rotor. Stupid me, I bolted up the tire after bleeding the brakes and off I went. Should have realized this wasn't right.

When I rebolted up the conversion bracket without the washers, bolted on the rotor and then tried to slip the abutment in is when I realized there's a problem. When I loosened up the rotor and slipped the abutment in and then retightened the rotor and then the abutment brackets- I couldn't even turn the rotor- it was locked on the outside bottom edge of the abutment bracket. Instead of being centered- or closely centered- it is way off. Tells me either this bracket is the wrong thickness or ??

Jeffvette is helping with this as well as he sells the brackets-I'm hoping I can get new brackets from him and move on with this- I'm not sure I'm confortable with the guy I bought them from- although he is trying to help. Says he sold 9 or 10 of these the past year with no problems.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Email sent. Send me the auction number as well.
Sent you email with some pictures- will send the auction as well. One of the pics you can see the bracket clearly mounted.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
socalman

Member #71930

My Corvette(s)
92 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlamb100 View Post
Post the pics you take. I have a 91 and had a bit of confusion as well when I did the swap but ultimately there was no problem after a couple trial fits. I can send you pics of mine if you still need assistance. Good luck. By the way ........ The upgrade looks great when done, don't give up!
I don't know how to post the pics without putting them in "my pictures" and waiting a day or 2 for them to be approved. Jeff has them and may post them for future people to know what problems to look for. Hopefully, It's just a bad bracket design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.