C6 Zo6 to C3 brake kit from Dreamworks performance parts - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

C6 Zo6 to C3 brake kit from Dreamworks performance parts

I found this kit today which looks cool but they aren't using the 14" rotors in the kit which cuts its effectiveness a bit. I emailed them to ask why not use the 14" rotor and if they offer it as an upgrade or if they will sell just the mounts as there are better deals on C6 Zo6 calipers and rotors out there.

I have no affiliation it is just the route I want to eventually take and wondered if anyone has tried this kit or had any experience with this company before i shell out the coin. I don't like companies that don't list a phone # for contact.

see link
http://www.dreamworks-performance-pa...grades-/Detail

thanks in advance for any thoughts or information

Jamie
ALMSTFNSHD71 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
mikeatlbc
DC Crew

Member #15391

My Corvette(s)
1968 Convertible

I believe DreamWork, an ebay seller, is getting the kit from speeddirect.

http://speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=119

I too have wondered about going that route, all we really need are the brackets.
mikeatlbc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

If they are then they are buying high selling low and making it up in volume as the saying goes

speeddirect has the kit for $1,949.00

dreamworks is selling it for $1,671.00

I agree all we need are the mounts I am a part time machinist and could make myself a set but I just wondered if anyone had dealt with them before because i don't like companies that do not list a phone #
Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Art Jett

Member #46210

My Corvette(s)
1977 TPI 383 stroker/700R-4, 2002 Viper GTS

That is exactly the same kit speeddirect is selling. The only difference is they want over $2000.00! I spoke to them on the phone and even without the calipers, they wanted $1100.00 or $1200.00. I wonder how he is able to sell it cheaper? I asked them about just buying the brkts. and they said I would need the rotors also cause the brkts. changed the position of the calipers. They are slightly offset.
Art Jett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

Anyone know the bolt hole spacing on our rotors compared to the C5 or C6 rotors? I wonder if these could be redrilled/machined in an offset.
would again need new mounts because of the change in rotor diameter but might be doable.

because if so then this is a lot better deal

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-9...for-c5-c6.aspx
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
big2bird
DC Crew

Member #58543

My Corvette(s)
1981 T-Top Caprice powered Disco Buggy

The kit is a POS. Buy the Wilwoods for $1,000, and you'll have better brakes than that kit will ever give you for 1/2 the $$.
big2bird is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
69 DIRTY RAT
DC Crew

Member #46

My Corvette(s)
69 540ci/755hp/734ft/lbs ZL-1

ALMSTFNSHD71 The hat part of the C5/6 rotor is way to shallow compared to the taller hat on the C3, it will hit the wheels, I have C6 calipers & I had to buy new rotors and got the 14 inch! A friend made up a bracket for the calipers.
69 DIRTY RAT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Check out my website... www.ratpackmuscle.com
And watch my video… Click CORVETTE - Beauty of the Beast
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

Thanks for the info Dirty Rat where were you able to buy the 14" rotors alone and how much were they?

thanks

Jamie
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
bhays
DC Crew

Member #32483

My Corvette(s)
1982 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 DIRTY RAT View Post
ALMSTFNSHD71 The hat part of the C5/6 rotor is way to shallow compared to the taller hat on the C3, it will hit the wheels, I have C6 calipers & I had to buy new rotors and got the 14 inch! A friend made up a bracket for the calipers.
Please tell us more about your conversion. I would really like to go to C5/C6 calipers and 14" rotors on my '82 project which is going a pretty similar direction to yours. If your friend still has the dimensions (cad file?) for the brackets, would he consider making a few more. Or, could I get the cad file so I could have a local shop make them? At any rate, I would love to hear more about which master cylinder you used, proportioning valve, etc. to get it all working.

Thanks!
bhays is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
SuprJames
DC Crew

Member #68031

I wouldn't even consider GM brakes when there are such great aftermarket options out there. Unless they are ZR1 brakes...
SuprJames is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

I found a nice Wilwood 6 piston kit that will fit my 71 that has aluminum hats with 14" rotors and after talking to wilwood the tech was nice enough to tell me I can use their part at jegs or summit so instead of paying around $2100 i can get it from jegs for $1,828.99

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKitsProd...emno=140-10617

http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/140-10617/10002/-1

I will wait and see if they have a sale seeing as how i am still waiting on my wheels anyway.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
gkull
DC Crew

Member #44069

My Corvette(s)
1979 Highly Modded

As my power went up and I installed RR slicks it made my stock 79 brakes with 600 degree Motul fluid last about 4 laps. So in 10 minutes and they were completely gone. I considered the titanium thermal piston pucks and decided to just go with something better. I bought the Corvetteengineering (http://www.store.corvettengineering....ewCat&catId=14 ) 13.2 inch aluminum hat rotors and the Wilwood superlite calipers with the Thermloc $300 piston option and "H" compound pads. Now I'm able to do 3 sessions on a hot day and still have brakes. I have them on the front and stock rear calipers with carbon metal pads. I have no bias problems and I use the stock master cylinder

The 13 inch require 17 or 18 inch wheels. I use 295/35/17 fronts and 335/18 rears Hoosier R6 slicks.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-wilwoods.html
gkull is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
69 DIRTY RAT
DC Crew

Member #46

My Corvette(s)
69 540ci/755hp/734ft/lbs ZL-1

I gotta get me some better pads for the track also!

ALMSTFNSHD71 I got my 14" rotors here in Australia so it probably wouldn't be worthwhile getting them from here.

bhays The bracket that was made up by a friend was something he made in his steel engineering workshop, there was no cad file, he just made them up in steel and welded the bits together basically. I did suggest he should make some-more but he is to busy already! So sorry I aint much help!

The reason I went for the C6 calipers was because I got a great deal on ebay for a complete set of New C6 front brakes/rotors/assembly for $600! Plus I actually have a piece of Corvette history on my Vette....The brake set was from the C6 development program and was excess stock that didnt get used on the test cars!
So my whole front brake system only cost me about $700 (600 + 100 for the 14in rotors). I have wilwoods on the back they cost me about $1500 (? i cant remember exactly).

I still have the standard master cylinder and have a wilwood proportion valve set up between the seats in the cabin (behind the console cushion so you cant see it) for easy access.
69 DIRTY RAT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Check out my website... www.ratpackmuscle.com
And watch my video… Click CORVETTE - Beauty of the Beast
Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
mikeatlbc
DC Crew

Member #15391

My Corvette(s)
1968 Convertible

Does anyone one else want to jump in on this? Is anyone running the Z06 brakes on their C3???
mikeatlbc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
ALMSTFNSHD71
DC Crew

Member #89782

My Corvette(s)
C3

I never did hear back from dreamworks performance on my questions if they would sell just the brackets or upgrade the kit to 14" rotors. So after talking to numerous people like any complex subject there are many opinions and I am still learning. I would like to ride in or drive a car with the z06 kit vs a kit with the couple of different options of wilwoods the SL6 kit being the one of them vs one of the better kits from corvette engineering. Without doing it on the same car same day same weight same driver and some objective way of testing it would not yield any clear answers other than seat of the pants.

I would be happy to volunteer my car for some testing maybe vette brakes and products and corvette engineering, speeddirect and who knows who else might like to put on a real world test for us little people. With a sale on slightly demoed parts after the test. Maybe......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.