Swapping a Dana 36 to 44 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
vetteset8087
DC Crew

Member #67614

My Corvette(s)
C3 and C4

Swapping a Dana 36 to 44

I know this question has been asked a million times here but here it goes again. My car is an 87 The Dana 44 I have is a 92 from what I understand I just need to swap the center section, the bat wing,the part that goes from the diff to the trans and have my drive shaft shortened is this right? I leave my Dana 36 half shafts in right ? Both the Dana 36 and the 44 are complete rear ends so I should have all of the parts I need. is there any way to tell for sure what gears are in the Dana 44 ? the guy I got it from said it was out of a 92 6 speed car with 3:45 gears the stickers on the half shaft say they are 92 it has a tag on the drain plug but it just says use limited slip lube or something like that and it is a Dana 44. I checked the gears before I bought it by rotating the input yoke and watching how far the rotors rotated but it was awhile since I did this and not sure I did it right. Is there any markings on the outside or a way that would tell me the gear ratio for sure? without taking the cover off
vetteset8087 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
vetteoz
DC Crew

Member #1251

My Corvette(s)
1990 383 T400 4 Link 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteset8087 View Post
from what I understand I just need to swap the center section, the bat wing,the part that goes from the diff to the trans and have my drive shaft shortened is this right?
Can save $$$ by redrilling D36 C beam and using D36 DS
See
http://www.joby.se/corvette/mods/2001-0X11_diff/

Quote:
Both the Dana 36 and the 44 are complete rear ends so I should have all of the parts I need.f
Will need to use the late bottom camber arms and brackets that mount to the diff head as mounting bolts are larger in the diff head

Quote:
. is there any way to tell for sure what gears are in the Dana 44 ? Is there any markings on the outside
Late model diffs have the ratio ( assuming it hasn't been changed ) stamped underneath the diff head .Counting how many times the pinion yoke turns to one side yoke rev will get you close
vetteoz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz
Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
vetteset8087
DC Crew

Member #67614

My Corvette(s)
C3 and C4

I already have he D44 c brace. I Have the stock D36 driveshaft and it's aluminum. Only 1 place in town can shorten them and they want $150 to do it I think that's a rip off. After reading a couple posts found the markings on the case it says 3:45 I came up with 3:45 by checking it and the guy I bought it from said it was a 3:45 so I think I can trust that it's a 3:45. Are the bottom camber arms the aluminum dog bones or the round ones with the ball joints in them ? and by later you mean the ones from the 92 rear end stay on the 92 rear end ?
In this life you always have to think ahead. If I could stop thinking about head I might get something done.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
vetteset8087
DC Crew

Member #67614

My Corvette(s)
C3 and C4

I can have a steel driveshaft made for $125 which one is better steel or aluminum?
In this life you always have to think ahead. If I could stop thinking about head I might get something done.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
vetteoz
DC Crew

Member #1251

My Corvette(s)
1990 383 T400 4 Link 9"

Quote:
I Have the stock D36 driveshaft and it's aluminum. Only 1 place in town can shorten them and they want $150 to do it I think that's a rip off.
As in the link above ,try it 1st.The diff does not remove in relation to the trans so as long as DS is not bottomed out on the trans you don't need the recommended 1 1/2" cleatrance you do with a live axle
"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
vetteoz
DC Crew

Member #1251

My Corvette(s)
1990 383 T400 4 Link 9"

Quote:
Are the bottom camber arms the aluminum dog bones or the round ones with the ball joints in them ??
Neither.
Camber arms are the big alum bars from bottom of diff head to spindle ( Control chamber )
rods with ball joints are caster arms
Compare the bolts used to hold the pressed steel bracket to the diff head .The brackets are the same except for the size of the bolt used.You must use bracket to suit diff being used
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
vetteset8087
DC Crew

Member #67614

My Corvette(s)
C3 and C4

I will have my D36 out in just a couple hours I got most of it done last night. Before I remove my camber arms should I mark or measure anything to possibly put everything back together without having to get an alignment or is there a DIY way to reset the camber once it's back together? I don't think my camber was set correctly to begin with I noticed alot of wear on the inside of the tire. The passenger rear tire is worn alot more than the driver side so I wonder if the posi in the D36 was going bad. These tires only have about 3,000 miles on them so most of the wear is from spinning them. The fronts are still like brand new.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
vetteoz
DC Crew

Member #1251

My Corvette(s)
1990 383 T400 4 Link 9"

Quote:
should I mark or measure anything to possibly put everything back together without having to get an alignment or is there a DIY way to reset the camber once it's back together? .
You have to swap the camber arms so any markings will be irrelavent .Will need alignment when finished

Quote:
I wonder if the posi in the D36 was going bad. .
No , the camber setting on one side would be different to the other giving different wear patterns .Also the caster setting could be out meaning the inside of the tire is dragging
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.