Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

77 Restoration

50K views 132 replies 43 participants last post by  The Torch 
#1 ·
1977 L48 - not really a find per se (it was my Dad's). Arizona car for most of its life, been in a PA barn for the last 4 years. Hopefully rust is minimal. It started right up in 12 degree weather.

As you can see, it needs some work. I'm going to start taking it apart to see where to begin. New carpet and weatherstrip has already been ordered...

See less See more
#3 ·
very cool. Good to see a car like that stay in the family and get a rebirth. You planning to go full on resto, just get her running good, restomod?

PS, welcome to DC! :cheers:

#7 ·
Awsome find!!! I've got a 77, and love it:thumbsup: Good luck on restoring it to where you want it:partyon:

And Welcome to DC!:partyon: Save the waive:buhbye:

#17 ·
Thanks for sharing the pics, the car is in pretty good shape, I still consider it a great find, Keep us updated and keep the pics coming of what you are doing to it:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Cool project! The body and body mounts look like theyre in good shape, so thats a plus! Looks like youve already started to get to work. Keep us posted with the progress and keep taking pictures!:partyon:

#23 ·
if you're in that deep I'd say do the body mounts while you're at it. Or if you don't replace the mounts at least pull the bolts and try to get some paint in the entire pocket and anti-sieze on the threads

#25 ·
Rubber. Your spine will appreciate it. Unless you have suddenly decided to build a track day warrior? :laughing:

Nice project, I wish mine looked half that good. There is some hefty over spray from a repaint. Was it originally white?

#27 ·
It's been a long time since I've updated this thread. I have been making some pretty good progress.

Getting a little further in the dismantling. Cleaned up and laid some RustBullet on the floor.

Motor and tranny are not original. From the pad markings and date codes, this is an L48 from a '79 Vette. Asked the old man about it, but he had no idea the motor was replaced. He bought the car in '84 with 15K miles on it.

Dusty!

That's better...although you can see the other colors it has been on the gas tank shield.

We have liftoff!

o

Tank is in good shape...at least I can save that expense.

Cleaned up the wheels using EvapoRust and was pleased.

Took apart one of the calipers to find they're sleeved. All definitely need to be rebuilt, but unfortunately only one of them is a Delco-Morane. No clue what the other three are. I also have the four originals boxed up...still debating on what I'm going to do.

Here's how it looks now. I finally now feel like I'm making progress as there really isn't much more to take apart. Next up is the blasting and painting of the frame.

Think that's it for now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.