[Peter Max] Part 3 / GONE! First photos of the last known location of Peter Max's 36 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Peter Max's Corvettes
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Peter Max's Corvettes A dedicated section for the lost Corvettes of Brooklyn.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

[Peter Max] Part 3 / GONE! First photos of the last known location of Peter Max's 36

Peter Max's cars are gone, their new location a mystery

An old story is back on the front burner.

After 20 years wasting away in the basement of a Brooklyn building, Peter Max's 36 Corvettes are gone. The actual location of the 36 Corvettes now remains a mystery.

Our sources say that within the last couple of weeks 6 white trucks and a "rollback" flatbed tow truck arrived at the Brooklyn building containing Peter Max's 36 Corvettes. The flatbed pulled each Corvette from its spot and took it to the street to be loaded on the other trucks. This operation took about 4 hours once they got going. The space that contained the 36 Corvettes has been completely cleaned top to bottom. And, sources say some of the Corvettes were half-assed cleaned before they were removed.

By the marks on the floor it appears at least one of the Corvettes was dragged out with the wheels locked. Right now there are several tenant vehicles parked in the area where the Corvettes were parked for the last 20 years or so.

One unloved C5 Corvette convertible remains, although not part of Peter Max's neglected Corvette collection. It could belong to a tenant of the building.

We are concerned for the well being of the 1953 Corvette with VIN# E53F001291 (53,892 miles on the odometer). If you know where the 36 Corvettes have been moved to, please email patrick@digitalcorvettes.com.

(fencing that previously caged in the 36 Corvettes)

(After 20 years of grime was cleaned up, tenants took over the parking spaces)

(At least 1 Corvette was dragged out with a locked wheel)

(This dark basement is notorious for abandoned Corvettes, here's another with an unknown story)
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
PSU 98
DC Crew

Member #91389

My Corvette(s)
2003 Corvette

Patrick, I read a few threads in this forum that mentioned a telephone interview you'd attempted to schedule with Peter Max, apparently around 2005; did that ever happen?

Steve
PSU 98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2003 Chevrolet Corvette
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
1987 Buick Grand National
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU 98 View Post
Patrick, I read a few threads in this forum that mentioned a telephone interview you'd attempted to schedule with Peter Max, apparently around 2005; did that ever happen?

Steve
No.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Stingin' 76

Member #40053

My Corvette(s)
76' L-48 Edelbrock intake, Headers & Sidepipes, K&N Filter, DeWitts radiator, composite rear spring

I had actually forgotten about this story..........now I have something to spend time on the internet with again.
Stingin' 76 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
NCRS-Not Correctly Restored Stingray

No matter how hard you push the envelope it will always be stationary
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
baierman
DC Crew

Member #20567

I think about those cars probably once a week. I really hope we find out where they were taken.
baierman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Thanks Patrick for keeping these neglected cars in the news, and all the little mice and squirrels crawling around the woodwork to find them...............
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
BJones1352
DC Crew

Member #89125

My Corvette(s)
2012 Torch Red Coupe

PM Me!

PM me. Funny incident.
BJones1352 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJones1352 View Post
PM me. Funny incident.
Got your email, replied.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
joegagan
DC Crew

Member #78778

My Corvette(s)
firebird 1970

hippies, art, green movement, car people

this story has all the elements of an epic story.

peter max is considered an icon of the art world, one of the premier purveyors of psychedelia, adored by millions of former hippies who have mostly gone on to more or less normal lives, yet cling to their youth through art and music.

the corvette is considered an icon of the automotive world. a sign of american greatness, freedom of the road, innovation.

these 2 worlds- liberal/hippie green movement vs. the automotive world have gradually becomes foes.

so, in this strange twist of ironies, the two worlds collide in a beautiful microcosm, an illustration of the silliness of liberalism.

even better, a famous contest on a huge cable tv network made this whole story possible. peter max likely would have never thought of assembling such a collection had he not seen publicity for the contest. as evidenced by the 'inventory sheets' illustration and the enviro-slogans, peter was apparently going to attempt to ridicule and piss off the enemy (car people) by turning the corvettes into non-functioning works of art.

even if he never puts a speck of paint on any of them he still has accomplished his goal. he took the cars out of the hands of people who would use them to pollute the "precious earth", and has had dozens of articles written about it. keep in mind, he has been a master of publicity for over 40 years.

the more vocal the opposition from car people, the more cache' Pmax gets, therefore increasing the value of the cars in the eyes of greenies who would love nothing more than to rub dirt in the car world's eye. have you noticed, the major media in this country does nearly anything to vilify the automobile and its enthusiasts? nowadays when they cover an autoshow all they want to talk about is 'green'!

this isn't about cars, even though lot of us would like it to be. it is about ideology, and the enviro-freaks are going to use this story against us if we let them.

lest any of you think peter max does not have the resources to keep these cars and do whatever he wants with them, forget it. he is mega-wealthy as far as i can tell. there are millions of adoring fans willing to $upport his art, and he can crank it out for years to come.

my advice? forget about these cars. they aren't for us any more.
joegagan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
SavageSun
DC Crew

Member #49574

My Corvette(s)
Z06

My fear is that since the libs/greens etc have his ear and he has MEGA $$$ the 36 will end up out in Nevada at 'Burning Man' as part of the bonfire or some other befitting end to these awful gas guzzling, polluting, capitalist pigs cars.

ESPECIALLY true if some outfit like the 'Center for BioDiversity' in Tucson gets involved. They have the cash to buy them out and bury them somewhere.
SavageSun is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Don
17 Oaks Ranch, Tx
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Brooklinite
DC Crew

Member #45253

My Corvette(s)
1972 LT-1 Coupe, 1977 L48 Coupe(sold...long ago)

What a freak.
Brooklinite is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
scottyz06
DC Crew

Member #103810

My Corvette(s)
1990 Lingenfelter C4 Coupe/ 2000 Z51 C5 Lt. Pewter Met.

scottyz06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.