Replacement OPTIMA battery? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
nucferr
DC Crew

Member #44436

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06 Machine SIlver

Replacement OPTIMA battery?

Has anyone installed a Model 35 OPTIMA redtop in a C6 Z06? OPTIMA web page does NOT list a battery for a C6 Z06. The dimensions of the Model 35 W and L are OK-the height is OK except the posts are ABOVE the top where the stock battery has the posts on a recess-thus the posts do not stick above the top.

Boy I would sure like to replace my stock with a Red Top-just want to be sure the battery will fit and the cables will be flexable enough to bend up

thanks
2006 Z06
nucferr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'Like dogs, there are no bad Corvettes, just bad Corvette owners" 2006 Z06 Machine SIlver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
midnite902
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

I have seen lots of Optimas in Zs and I have also seen a lot fail before the warranty period was up. I had an Optima for a while (2 years) but it failed before the Warranty period was up and I could not get Warranty credit from Optima. Since my experience Optima was purchased by Interstate Batteries and I have heard the previous issues were fixed.

midnite902 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Z06Ronald
DC Crew

Member #39420

My Corvette(s)
1974 Sting Ray 454; 2006 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucferr View Post
Has anyone installed a Model 35 OPTIMA redtop in a C6 Z06? OPTIMA web page does NOT list a battery for a C6 Z06. The dimensions of the Model 35 W and L are OK-the height is OK except the posts are ABOVE the top where the stock battery has the posts on a recess-thus the posts do not stick above the top.

Boy I would sure like to replace my stock with a Red Top-just want to be sure the battery will fit and the cables will be flexable enough to bend up

thanks
2006 Z06
My next battery will definitely be from Braille, either the B2015C (the Katech Street Attack has this one), or the B3121C (found on the Pratt & Miller C6RS)!

http://www.braillebattery.com/

Z06Ronald is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
details can be found in my garage

http://www.youtube.com/user/Z06Ronald
Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
BonneRisque
DC Crew

Member #83678

My Corvette(s)
Blk C5 Z06 50th Aniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucferr View Post

thanks
2006 Z06
Yes the Batterie will fit.
It's a Hefty 33LBS though

I know the optima's look really nice under the hood

But interstate makes a better batterie

If you wish to save some weight

Buy a Deka ETX30L

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...ehicleQ5fParts

It weighs in at 22lbs and iis a dry cell batterie which means no batterie acid in the engine compartment.

Buy the terminal posts as well.

They also make a 11lb version for race applications and they make all Braille Batteries

Braille just re-badges them

Bon
BonneRisque is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Z06Ronald
DC Crew

Member #39420

My Corvette(s)
1974 Sting Ray 454; 2006 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneRisque View Post
Yes the Batterie will fit.
It's a Hefty 33LBS though

I know the optima's look really nice under the hood

But interstate makes a better batterie

If you wish to save some weight

Buy a Deka ETX30L

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...ehicleQ5fParts

It weighs in at 22lbs and iis a dry cell batterie which means no batterie acid in the engine compartment.

Buy the terminal posts as well.

They also make a 11lb version for race applications and they make all Braille Batteries

Braille just re-badges them

Bon

Deka ETX30L Powersports AGM Battery - 100% NEW
Motorcycles, Scooters, PWC, Snowmobiles, ATV's and more

You recommend a motorcycle/scooter battery for a Z06?

They (http://www.dekacatalog.com/) recommend the 690MF, but that one is a LOT heavier than the Braille carbon fiber batteries (33.5 lbs, vs. 15 lbs for the B2015C and 21 lbs for the B3121C respectively).
Z06Ronald is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
details can be found in my garage

http://www.youtube.com/user/Z06Ronald
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
BonneRisque
DC Crew

Member #83678

My Corvette(s)
Blk C5 Z06 50th Aniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Ronald View Post
Deka ETX30L Powersports AGM Battery - 100% NEW
Motorcycles, Scooters, PWC, Snowmobiles, ATV's and more

You recommend a motorcycle/scooter battery for a Z06?

They (http://www.dekacatalog.com/) recommend the 690MF, but that one is a LOT heavier than the Braille carbon fiber batteries (33.5 lbs, vs. 15 lbs for the B2015C and 21 lbs for the B3121C respectively).

That's all a Braille Batterie is

Is a re-badged AGM ATV BAtterie

I've had one in my car for two years and have not had a problem even doing cold starts

I saved 15lbs off the front end

In the USA DEKA EASTPENN is the Largest batteire manufacture

They make most the batteries sold in the USA

Then various companies just re-badge them

Bon
BonneRisque is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Mang
DC Crew

Member #72425

My Corvette(s)
Black 2006 C6-Z06

Optima Redtop fits in Z06

Use the Optima Redtop recommended battery for the C6, partsnumber : 88860422, description Optima = Battery (85-H7YR) C6 2008L, altough the dimensions are little bit different it fit neatly in the Z06 battery bin (2006- 2009), the battery posts lay-out are same. Wiring are fine. The only matter is to modify the top bracket. Only because of this bracket reason Optima will not qualify it as "drop fit suitable". You can make it easily from a metal strip, it took me 10 minutes.
The Optima Red-Top work perfect for me, will never go back to an original GM (Have two of them already)

Regards,

Mang
Mang is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
GM Chrome Sill plates, 2008+ style Carbon & leather console, US spec. red taillights, Smoothie Red Fuel Rail Covers & Chrome letter inserts, Stainless Steel interior parts, Corvette logo hood pad, Rear Parking distance control, Optima Red Top Battery, High polished Stainless Mesh grille. Akrapovic Titanium Evolution exhaust system.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
OptimaJim
DC Crew

Member #94925

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. As Mang indicated, Optima is very conservative in what we consider a “direct-fit” replacement. However, many Corvette owners have been able to use our batteries in what we would consider “custom” applications, like Mang’s. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using. Do not connect a winch to the side terminals.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

Johnson Controls purchased Optima batteries in 2000 (they also own 50% of Interstate Batteries) and the quality of our batteries has continued to improve under their ownership. Most of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. This video explains how to properly recharge a deeply-discharged Optima- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

The electrical demands of newer Corvettes have increased significantly in recent years and some newer Vettes can now drain batteries in as little as one week- http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1573196654-post41.html Because of these demands, the batteries in newer Corvettes that are not driven daily benefit greatly from regular use of a battery tender or maintainer. If you have any battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
jeffgleners48
DC Crew

Member #144529

My Corvette(s)
2007 Conv

AGM Batteries

I just bought a new battery and the biggest problem I had was finding a group 90 size to ensure good fit.
I studied a bunch of brands and most did not produce an AGM battery (Optima) and I was never sure Optima would fit because I could not find group 90 - perhaps just my problem.
I went to Batteries Plus for their Energizer AGM battery and, again, Energizer did not make an AGM in group 90.
They said group 47 is has exact dimensions except it's 5/8" taller and group 47 fits fine. Best of all almost all the manufacturers make an AGM battery in group 47.
Hopefully, this will give everyone a lot more options.
NOW, anyone now how to change the search for all these manufacturers that the group 47 will work in the base C6?
I THINK group 90 is speced for C6 because it is vented and venting is required for the Z06 where the battery is in the trunk. More on that later?
jeffgleners48 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #10
vetjunkie
DC Crew

Member #13639

My Corvette(s)
'06 Silver Z06; '06 VR/Blk/Blk Conv.

I avoided all the replacement battery hyperbole two years ago when I replaced the then 6-year old OEM battery with another Delco in my '06 Z06. Battery still tested good but erring on the side of caution, I didn't want to roll the dice and get stranded (ever see someone try to get one of these cars onto the back of a flatbed - it ain't pretty). The new battery works fine as long as it's not off the Battery Tender for more than 3 days (same as the original one). My wife's '06 C6 convertible on the other hand can sit for more than 3 weeks without being on a Tender at it fires right up every time. Go figure.
vetjunkie is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

About a year ago my original Delco bit the dust on a Saturday morning. We had to go to a Wedding at 2:00 PM and the only place I could find a battery was at a Chevy Dealer'$ part counter. It was almost 7 years old and considering my short drive to work, I'm surprised it lasted that long. Hope this Delco can match that longevity.

Now Tires, that's a completely different "longevity" issue.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
This video explains how to properly recharge a deeply-discharged Optima- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg
Jim,

Your link didn't work.
mbwalker is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.