Please Help! Question on Parts Swap - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
BST R8S
DC Crew

Member #2300

My Corvette(s)
MY 2000 Convertable

Please Help! Question on Parts Swap

Can anyone tell me if the EBCM and BPMV are interchangeable from a 2001 to a 2000. They look the same.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
BST R8S is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Cont Module w/ Active Brake Ctrl 1999-2000 PART# 9376711
Cont Module 2001 PART# 12208997
Cont Module 2002 PART# 10315150

Modulator Valve w/ Active Brake Ctrl 1999-2000 PART# 10417038
Modulator Valve w/o Active Brake Ctrl 1999-2000 PART# 12530740
Modulator Valve 2001-2002 PART# 10437872

Different part numbers for the 2000 and 2001 model years... it would appear they are not interchangeable.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
CorvetteInfo
History

Member #6073

Bosch 5.3 301

The Bosch 5.3 ABS debuted in 1997 and was first used on the 1998-1/2 Corvette. The 5.3 system (a more compact version of the Bosch 5) combines the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) and Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (EBTCM) into one assembly. The pump motor is a separate item and can be serviced (some sources say not serviceable), unlike the pump on the earlier Bosch 5 system.

The Bosch 5.3 (like the Bosch 5) is a nonintegral ABS system with a conventional master cylinder and vacuum booster. The 5.3 is smaller (by almost half), lighter (by 2-1/2 lbs.) and costs about 60 percent less than the Bosch 5. The module and hydraulic modulator unit are combined as an assembly, held together by six screws.

General Motors refers to the 5.3 controller (which actually contains two microprocessors to check on one another) as the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM), or the Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (EBTCM) on models equipped with traction control. The hydraulic modulator is called the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV).

The Brake Pressure Modulator Valve contains the ABS solenoids and valves that modulate brake fluid pressure within each individual brake circuit as needed during ABS braking, acceleration (traction control) or maneuvering (Corvette’s Active Handling system). During the anti-lock mode, the BPMV can maintain or reduce brake fluid pressure independently of the pressure generated in the master cylinder. However, the BPMV does not provide more pressure than is applied by the master cylinder in this mode. If the unit is called on to provide traction control or handling assistance, the BPMV will apply pressure independently of the master cylinder to the individual wheel circuits.

Pressure is generated by the pump that is part of the BPMV. The pump also recirculates fluid back to the master cylinder when brake pressure is being reduced during an ABS stop.

On applications that have Magnasteer variable assist power steering, the Bosch 5.3 control module also helps control steering assist. It does this by monitoring vehicle speed via its four wheel speed sensors.

ELECTRONIC CONTROLS
The brain of the system is the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM). Depending on what features the vehicle is equipped with, the EBTCM not only monitors inputs from the individual wheel speed sensors (WSS) and brake pedal switch, but also a yaw sensor, steering angle sensor and lateral acceleration sensor (Corvette only).

The EBTCM monitors and compares wheel speeds to decide when wheel slip is excessive and/or the vehicle is becoming unstable. If the vehicle is braking, wheel slip will trigger ABS braking. If the vehicle is accelerating, wheel slip will trigger traction control. And if the vehicle is cornering or making a sudden steering maneuver, undesirable changes in the yaw rate will trigger corrective braking to restore handling control.

Each wheel in a Bosch 5.3 ABS system has its own wheel speed sensor. They are the traditional magnetic type that generate an AC signal that increases both frequency and amplitude with wheel speed. The sensor and toothed sensor ring are usually part of an integral hub/bearing assembly, and do not have an adjustable air gap. Shielded wiring is used to help reduce electromagnetic interference that can cause false or noisy WSS inputs to the EBTCM.

On vehicles equipped with traction control and stability control, there is a traction control/active handling on/off switch so the driver can shut off either system for personal or diagnostic reasons. On the Corvette, pressing and holding the TCS/active handling on/off switch on the center console for five seconds places the system in a special "competitive" driving mode. The competitive driving mode turns the TCS off, but leaves active handling on.

ACTIVE HANDLING
On Corvette applications with active handling, a steering wheel position sensor is used to monitor driver inputs. The sensor outputs a pair of digital reference signals (called "Phase A and Phase B"), and an analog signal. This information is used to determine when the steering wheel is centered, when the wheels are being steered, and how quickly the wheels are being steered. The information is then used to vary steering assist as well as to activate the active handling system if the vehicle is becoming unstable.

The EBTCM runs a centering routine when the vehicle speed goes above 30 km/h (18 mph). When the vehicle reaches 30 km/h, the EBTCM monitors the steering sensor signals (Phase A, Phase B and analog voltage) to see if the steering wheel is moving. If the steering wheel is not moving for a set period of time, the EBTCM assumes the vehicle is going in a straight line. At this point, the EBTCM looks at the analog voltage signal and reads the voltage. This voltage, normally around 2.5 volts, is then considered the center position and the digital degrees also become zero at the same time.

This centering routine is necessary to compensate for wear in the steering and suspension which can change in the relationship between the steering wheel and the front tires when driving in a straight line.

The Corvette also has a Lateral Accelerometer to monitor cornering forces. The sensor uses a reference voltage of five volts and varies its output voltage from 0.25 to 4.75 volts depending on the G-forces encountered. The sensor’s operating range is -1.5 to +1.5G. Zero lateral acceleration results in an output signal of 2.5 volts, while a maximum G-force of 1.5 would yield an output voltage of 4.75 volts.

The yaw rate sensor also uses a reference voltage of five volts, and outputs a signal that can vary from 0.25 to 4.75 volts over a range of -75 to +75 degrees/second. A zero yaw rate would read 2.5 volts.

The EBTCM uses the lateral accelerometer along with the steering wheel position sensor and the wheel speed sensors to calculate the desired yaw rate. The EBTCM compares the desired yaw rate to the actual yaw rate as read by the yaw rate sensor. The difference between the two is the "yaw rate error." The EBTCM then uses its program algorithms to figure out how much correction is needed to maintain vehicle stability. This is called the "Bank Angle Compensation Calculation." As soon as the EBTCM has this information, it brakes one or more individual wheels to help correct the steering and reduce the yaw error. The active handling continues until the vehicle straightens out and completes the steering maneuver.

The Corvette also has a brake pressure sensor to monitor how hard the brakes are being applied. The sensor can read pressures from zero to 2000 psi, generating an output signal of 0.20 to 4.80 volts. The EBTCM uses the input from this sensor when active handling is engaged to provide more accurate control over the braking system.

Something to keep in mind concerning the Corvette active handling system is that changing the tire/wheel size can upset the operation of the Bosch 5.3 system. If someone has installed a different size tire or wheel, the wheel/tire combo may not work well with the stock calibration of the active handling system.

Diagnostics
Diagnostics are via a Tech 1, Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool. A scan tool is also required to clear trouble codes. Special diagnostic modes include solenoid inlet and outlet tests, traction control system test and lamp test.

Manual or pressure bleeding can be used to flush the brakes, but if air is trapped in the BPMV you'll have to use a scan tool to run the "auto bleed" procedure. This cycles the ABS solenoids and runs the pump to purge air from the secondary circuits which are normally closed off during normal braking.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf19824.htm
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf20136.htm
CorvetteInfo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
CorvetteInfo
History

Member #6073

Bosch 5.3 Interchangeable

Quote:
Originally posted by BST R8S
Can anyone tell me if the EBCM and BPMV are interchangeable from a 2001 to a 2000...
Yes. A certified Bosch 5.3 technician can tell you. Until such time as one does, I would suggest you treat them as non-interchangeable.

My best guess is that the "hard" modules did not change, however the programming does, to fit each specific application based on RPO codes (the particular car build).

You may be able to (re)program any Corvette/Bosch 5.3 system to your factory options.

With all the wheel/tire size changing going on, I suspect someone has determined if it is also possible to reprogram for specific rim/tire sizes.

Any expert info would certainly be welcome here.

C'ya
D
Old 05-11-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
moore_rb
DC Crew

Member #1975

My Corvette(s)
No Corvette Anymore

(Snore)

Zzzzzzzz........

Huh? what? a C5 tech question? Let C5D handle it.....

Zzzzzzzzzz.....
moore_rb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....
-Paul Fix.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally posted by moore_rb
(Snore)

Zzzzzzzz........

Huh? what? a C5 tech question? Let C5D handle it.....

Zzzzzzzzzz.....
I read all that. Am I nuts.... or is he nuts?

Old 05-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #7
moore_rb
DC Crew

Member #1975

My Corvette(s)
No Corvette Anymore

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
I read all that. Am I nuts.... or is he nuts?

You're BOTH nuts...
moore_rb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....
-Paul Fix.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:22 AM   #8
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by moore_rb
You're BOTH nuts...
Old 05-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
customvettes
Obsessive Customizer

Member #276

My Corvette(s)
1979 Widebody (sold), 1977 Widebody (sold), 2000 Custom Vert

Garage
You're both just wierd
customvettes is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

http://www.hammerhdc.com
1977 Custom Widebody (SOLD)
1979 Custom Widebody (SOLD)
1991 Custom/Modified Coupe (SOLD)
2000 Custom Vert (Former VetteEssentials Flagship car) Ken, you will be dearly missed
Old 05-12-2004, 01:15 AM   #10
CorvetteInfo
History

Member #6073

What... I'm weird???

That's nothin' ... you should see me in the evening...

C'ya C'me
D
Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 AM   #11
BST R8S
DC Crew

Member #2300

My Corvette(s)
MY 2000 Convertable

Patrick & C5d,

You guys are the man.

The depth of knowledge quickly availabe on this forum boogles the mind.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Rob
BST R8S is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.