Poll: Late Model C3 Chrome Bumper Conversion - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
View Poll Results: Late Model C3 Value After Chrome Bumper Conversion
Increase Value 9 26.47%
Value Stays The Same 4 11.76%
Decrease Value 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Poll: Late Model C3 Chrome Bumper Conversion

I was thinking today about the Custom Image chrome bumper conversion. I am very excited about this new product and was wandering how this conversion would effect the value of our C3's.
I think it would help the value of my vette because of the fact it has a lot of different year model parts on it and it will be considered a custom vette in the end. So here goes Mark
Marks76ray is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
SteelerVette
DC Crew

Member #97636

My Corvette(s)
Black 1980 L48

If you like it and are going the custom route then go for it.

But if you're concerned about selling the car later and it's resale value then remember that any extreme mods may limit the number of potential buyers to people with similar tastes in mods to your own.
SteelerVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I took the road less traveled.....now where am I?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
D_B
DC Crew

Member #109378

My Corvette(s)
Custom / Modified 1977 Corvette

The poll needs more options.

It's a custom mod, pure and simple.

A chrome bumper mod to a non bumper car will drop the value to a buyer looking for an original bumper car. However, to a buyer looking for a car with some mods in mind might pay a tad more for one with the bumper rear end.

So, it might raise the selling price to someone looking for mods, and it'll drop the price...maybe even scare potential buyers away...that want an original bumper car.

Not to mention, it's still a '74 - '82, and if you put a bumper rear end on one, you'll alienate some of the rare folks that shy away from the bumper cars ion favor of the later rubber cars.
D_B is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)
1978 Modification in progress

The end value means nothing to me. I am building mine the way I want and I plan to buy one of these for mine. When time comes to sell..... if I sell, and the buyer likes it, then I say it increases the value. But if an NCRS guy is looking at the Vette, he will think that value is now worthless. All in the eye of the potential buyer.
matchframe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)
1978 Modification in progress

I thought more about this after I posted..... In my particular case, I have a '78 L-48 Vette. Nothing special, in a year when there was a Silver Anniversary model as well as a Pace Car. Mine was neither, not even an L-82. So I decided to do a Resto-Mod and build it they way I wanted. Very few parts are original on my Vette.

But, if I had one of the special models or if my Vette was factory condition clean, then yes, I believe doing a mod like this would devalue it. In the rubber bumper years, there are very few "valuable" Vettes like there are in the preceding years.
matchframe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
The Rat
DC Crew

Member #78946

My Corvette(s)
Modified 76

Everyone has their own opinion on what to do with their cars. Some say keep it the way the factory built it and then some say change is good. I say it's your car so do with it what you want. If you plan on selling the car sometime in the future and are worried about the value of it then don't make alot of changes-engine,trans or body parts. If your going to keep it then go with the changes you like or want for it. Some are bought because of the original version and some are for the changes that have been made. The price you get is based on what a person is looking for or what they can afford at the time.
The Rat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Show
DC Crew

Member #57720

My Corvette(s)
TT 1971 vert on C-4 suspension

If the the car is Cool when its done then it is cool!
If it looks awesome then potential buyers will more than likely thinks so too.They might not want to spend the dough on a true steel bumper just to not really be able to enjoy it for fear of depreciating or damaging it.
I don't know of many true collectors going after the rubber bumpers yet.(Unless they are extremely clean and low mile.)
Not to say that it won't happen.If it does then this will help not hurt.There are too many out there to be had that would require you to be upsidedown in a restoration.(cost vs value)Sad to say but rare and hard to find helps.If this takes off they might go up soon!
Show is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
71 vert on C-4 suspension.(355ci, Twin turbos.GONE)
SOON TO BE 6.0 Gen III Twin turbos.TKO 600
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
pb7148
DC Crew

Member #70497

My Corvette(s)
2009 C6 crystal red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Everyone has their own opinion on what to do with their cars. Some say keep it the way the factory built it and then some say change is good. I say it's your car so do with it what you want. If you plan on selling the car sometime in the future and are worried about the value of it then don't make alot of changes-engine,trans or body parts. If your going to keep it then go with the changes you like or want for it. Some are bought because of the original version and some are for the changes that have been made. The price you get is based on what a person is looking for or what they can afford at the time.
pb7148 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
pb7148
DC Crew

Member #70497

My Corvette(s)
2009 C6 crystal red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show View Post
If the the car is Cool when its done then it is cool!
If it looks awesome then potential buyers will more than likely thinks so too.They might not want to spend the dough on a true steel bumper just to not really be able to enjoy it for fear of depreciating or damaging it.
I don't know of many true collectors going after the rubber bumpers yet.(Unless they are extremely clean and low mile.)
Not to say that it won't happen.If it does then this will help not hurt.There are too many out there to be had that would require you to be upsidedown in a restoration.(cost vs value)Sad to say but rare and hard to find helps.If this takes off they might go up soon!
pb7148 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Value is in the Eye of the beholder. Lets take the Mistress for example, is there anyone here that would disagree that this car is going to be stunning when its done? Would you be able to sell it for whats in it, maybe to the right buyer and that group of buyers is a small group. Never the less the Mistress will be a car that will impress must people that ever see it.

If a custom is done with tasteful choices I think you would raise the value above what it was as an original as long as it's not done to a rare original car, but remember that rarely would you see all of your invested money return at sale, if this is a concern then you should find something else to invest your money into instead of automobiles. I chose to build my ride to suite me and I'm not concerned about resale, I'm having fun building cool cars.

Just my thoughts,
Riggs.
riggs 74 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

After reading the posts so far and thinking about the comments I have to say I posted this thinking only about custom C3'S. After all if anyone did this to there vette it would be considered a custom, in my mind. So with this being said the value should exclude a stock late model C3 and the poll should be thought of as the chrome bumper conversion only verses a custom late C3 with other types of mods such as spoilers, ground effects, tall hoods, other custom after market bumpers, side pipes and the list goes on. So in your opinion would the chrome bumper conversion increase, decrease, or stay the same in value as compared to a custom C3 with other after market bumpers if a custom vette is what your looking for. Or maybe this poll just needs to be Mark
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
SteelerVette
DC Crew

Member #97636

My Corvette(s)
Black 1980 L48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks76ray View Post
After reading the posts so far and thinking about the comments I have to say I posted this thinking only about custom C3'S. After all if anyone did this to there vette it would be considered a custom, in my mind. So with this being said the value should exclude a stock late model C3 and the poll should be thought of as the chrome bumper conversion only verses a custom late C3 with other types of mods such as spoilers, ground effects, tall hoods, other custom after market bumpers, side pipes and the list goes on. So in your opinion would the chrome bumper conversion increase, decrease, or stay the same in value as compared to a custom C3 with other after market bumpers if a custom vette is what your looking for. Or maybe this poll just needs to be Mark

Since were talking customs, then it really depends on what the buyer wants out of it. But that goes with any highly customized car, not just with chrome vs rubber bumpers. I would assume that many people looking at highly modified cars will be less interested in what style it originally came with and be more concerned with how it is now. In reality it probably wouldn't hurt the value too much and may not affect it all.
SteelerVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I took the road less traveled.....now where am I?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Look guys don't over think this poll. Its just a value comparison between the late model C3 custom after market bumpers that can be purchased and added to your vette.

Examples

and there are others out there besides these
mark
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
The Bad
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #175

My Corvette(s)
*sold*75 Wht/Tan Cp*sold*94 Wht/Rd Cp Current: 02 EB/BLK Z06

At the end of the day it's a custom. If it's done tastefully and done well, i doubt value will be a problem.
The only problem with a custom is finding that person who digs your taste as well should you decide to sell it.
Also, it's bolt on not permanent.
The Bad is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 Electron Blue Z06: Custom made partition, new stereo system, 5% tint, twin cone air intake system, shorty antenna, Exide Orbital battery, and chrome rims. -Brandon-

My Corvette story
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
mrmarchuk
DC Crew

Member #74756

My Corvette(s)
www.mrmarchuk.com: 1979 red, shaved w/(in progress) ls1 6speed swap

i personally will most likely going with the rear bumper conversion my car's custom anyways and i figure why stop?

and you forgot to post the aftermarket bumper he was inquiring about :P

Mistress:

KAOS:
mrmarchuk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1979 resto-mod vette... Stalled, but will continue someday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.