C6 Seat Rebuild - Better than new - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Mez
DC Crew

Member #73975

My Corvette(s)
C6

C6 Seat Rebuild - Better than new

It is no secret that the seats of the C5 & C6 have a reputation for being less than satisfactory in the area comfort and support.

Over the last year or so, I've developed a repair procedure and want to share it with everyone. I wanted to see how it worked out in my car over time and can say the seat feel its 100% better than OEM.

There are two problems this fixes:
1) The side bolsters from the factory do not have any support under them. So as you climb in/out of the seat, the outside bolster foam tears as it sits on the steel seat frame and quickly goes flat.
2) The steel wires in the center area cut into the foam and quickly cause the foam to sag and pinching around the hip area. I found this extremely uncomfortable after only 15 minutes.
Send me an email if you would like more information on where to get the repair kit.

Here are the photos of a recent rebuild on my C6 seat. The C5 and C6 seats are basically the same under the cover. The information below is just the high points.

1. Unbolt seat.

2. Disconnect wires harness.

2. Remove seat belt.

3. Remove side controls, cut numerous hog rings, peal back Velcro, and until string holding bottom seat cover then pull out bottom seat cushion.

4. Using spray upholstery contact cement, attach new fabric to the underside of seat foam. The center support wires cut into the foam quickly causing the bottom seat cushion to sag. This brings the OEM foam back to its original position and stops the wires from cutting into it.

5. Using spray contact cement, attach new high density upholstery grade foam to underside of bolster area. This adds the missing support under the bolsters.

6. Add jute pad on top of center support wires for additional firmness if desired. This is optional and you should try this out before reinstalling the seat to see if you like how it feels.

7. Reassembled and Finished.

8. Reinstall.

Last edited by Mez; 06-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Mez is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
This is basically what I did with the seats on my C5 (three years ago). One thing to note, the seats frames are not made of steel, they are made of fiberglass. I did a heck of a lot more reinforcing to my foam than you did and my seat foam has really held up compared to the first time I dissembled the seats. I recently added new seat tracks and my foam still looked new.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Mez
DC Crew

Member #73975

My Corvette(s)
C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
This is basically what I did with the seats on my C5 (three years ago). One thing to note, the seats frames are not made of steel, they are made of fiberglass. I did a heck of a lot more reinforcing to my foam than you did and my seat foam has really held up compared to the first time I dissembled the seats. I recently added new seat tracks and my foam still looked new.
Congratulations. Bright people thing alike.

Yes, you and I traded emails earlier about a similar repair process.

This is strange. No part of the bottom seat cushion we've worked on have any fiberglass. Are you taking about the parameter of the frame that supports the bolsters? I looked at your earlier thread in which you repaired the broken frame and it was steel. What part specifically is fiberglass?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
You're right, I need to be more clear and rearrange my thinking. The seat is basically 3 parts. The tracks and bottom (which are steel), and the back, which is fiberglass. When you said bolster, I thought you were talking about the seat back bolsters where the fiberglass back eats through the leather. The bottom of the seats have bolsters too, I just never thought to call them that. Now I understand what you meant.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Mez
DC Crew

Member #73975

My Corvette(s)
C6

Quote:
I Understand.

I went back and looked at your original write up on the seat repair. Good write up and photos. Unless I missed it, you did not add the any support under the bottom cushion side bolsters. You installed new OEM bottom foam and covered the sharp edge of the seat frame to keep it from tearing the new frame. As you found out, when you get in and out of the seat, you still put your full weight right on the bolster where it meets the steel frame and because the steel frame has a sharp edge, it cuts and tears the foam which causes the bolster to sink down into the void.

My kit provides high-density upholstery foam to distribute the weight to support the bottom cushion side bolsters so when you get in/out of the seat, the bolster will spring back up to its original position. The fact the OEM foam is torn as you illustrated in your photo does not matter because of the new foam blocks provide the missing support.

You put heavy duty carpet over the springs. I am sure that works great. My kit uses first heavy duty ballistic nylon which is glued onto the foam to repair the damage cause by the wires and includes .25" upholstery jute pad which you can add if you want to make the seat firmer than stock. So the owner has the option of using just the ballistic nylon or adding the jute pad if they want a firmer seat bottom.

I don't want to start a war here. They both provide a solution to a big problem but in a different way. My kit gives the DIY owner everything they need at a low cost without having to go out and buy everything including new foam.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

While I have a couple of seat experts on board, let me ask you a question. My '09 developed a huge spontaneous crack in the upholstery of the seat panel shown below. I'm assuming I need to take this to an upholstery place to get the panel replaced. Can you take the seat back off without removing the whole seat? I think this crack developed from the inflatable cushion being max inflated for too long. I had the car for a year before I even noticed that adjustment was there. It came from the dealer max inflated.

Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
No war at all, just exchanging information.

Here's the photo I think you missed:

Using the same piping that I lined the fiberglass with, I also lined the steel seat too. As you can see in the following photo, three years of bouncing in and out of my seat has put no wear on the bottom cushion.

That foam is in as good of shape as the day I installed it.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
While I have a couple of seat experts on board, let me ask you a question. My '09 developed a huge spontaneous crack in the upholstery of the seat panel shown below. I'm assuming I need to take this to an upholstery place to get the panel replaced. Can you take the seat back off without removing the whole seat? I think this crack developed from the inflatable cushion being max inflated for too long. I had the car for a year before I even noticed that adjustment was there. It came from the dealer max inflated.
Sorry Doc, you can't replace just a section and have it come out looking right because the stitching will never hit the original holes in the leather that remains. You can, however, just replace the upper leather section. DON'T get it from the dealership, they'll crack your skull on the price. I got mine from a guy at Bloomington Gold. I mention him in my seat covering thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Sorry Doc, you can't replace just a section and have it come out looking right because the stitching will never hit the original holes in the leather that remains. You can, however, just replace the upper leather section. DON'T get it from the dealership, they'll crack your skull on the price. I got mine from a guy at Bloomington Gold. I mention him in my seat covering thread.
Thanks! The car is still in warranty. Maybe I need to see if that's covered at this point. You can pretty well tell it just split. It wasn't cut or anything.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Mez
DC Crew

Member #73975

My Corvette(s)
C6

Quote:
No war at all, just exchanging information.

Here's the photo I think you missed:

Using the same piping that I lined the fiberglass with, I also lined the steel seat too. As you can see in the following photo, three years of bouncing in and out of my seat has put no wear on the bottom cushion.

Yes, I saw that.

I think you miss my point. My kit adds supporting foam in the gap between the frame and the steel wires while you do not.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Yea, they do that. That section of the seat is not leather and that's part of the reason it cracks. It may be under warranty. I'd check that out for sure. The dealer wants close to $600 for just the top half of the seat if I remember correctly.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
Yes, I saw that.

I think you miss my point. My kit adds supporting foam in the gap between the frame and the steel wires while you do not.
Oh, I see. I have not experienced that being a problem with any of the seats that I have done. I will say that all the seats I have done are on a C5, not a C6.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Yea, they do that. That section of the seat is not leather and that's part of the reason it cracks. It may be under warranty. I'd check that out for sure. The dealer wants close to $600 for just the top half of the seat if I remember correctly.
Thanks, A.J. You are a goldmine of information. I'm assuming you are still doing the show in TX this Friday. I'm trying to work it out where I can be there.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Thanks, A.J. You are a goldmine of information. I'm assuming you are still doing the show in TX this Friday. I'm trying to work it out where I can be there.
Doc, you better make it! Who know when I'll get back to Texas!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Doc, you better make it! Who know when I'll get back to Texas!
I hope I can make it. Do you know where you are staying down there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.