I've had enough, car has to go - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
alini
DC Crew

Member #61612

My Corvette(s)
C5 1997

I've had enough, car has to go

Ive battled bent rods, a water pump, transmission shifitng issues, NUMEROUS one time event computer codes. Ive cleaned the grounds a few times since I owned it (4 years now) Ive thrown a few thousand at it in parts and countless hours of work.

My Vette is cursed. I have replaced the ignition tumbler and switch, replaced the key. Yesterday out of no where I had the security lock kick in and prevent me from starting the car (it prevents starting the car for three minutes if the wrong key is used to start the car).

This has to be the most unreliable car I have ever owned. To top it off, due to the stupid Carfax report ripoff system I am forced to sell it at poor value no matter what I do.

So after my next pay day I am paying down my loan far enough to get poor trade in at Carmax and dumping it off.
alini is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 02 6 speed with some mods

Awe man, sorry to hear this. You got to do what you got to do though. Not trying to rub it in, ive had 2 c5s for a total of 8 years, a new 99 auto, and i have an 02 6 speed with 114,000 miles. Looks and drives like new, well better due to upgrades. But the 2 c5s ive owned have been the most reliable cars ive owned, and ive owned alot of cars, and vettes. Good luck to you bro!
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes. Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam. Electric water pump... Monster clutch.. Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 in h drop and dark ass tint
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
lsejlowe
DC Pit Crew

Member #6680

My Corvette(s)
black '69 350/350 4spd

dang, sorry to hear it's been such a frustrating run.
lsejlowe is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers realize it's twice as big as it needs to be.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

I bought my 2001 in September 2000 new from the dealer and it has been my DD for almost 11 years now. Had a couple minor problems the first few years (headlight motor, seat control module, etc.) that the original warranty fixed. Right around year 7, everything went to Hell (replaced engine, rebuilt transmission, new torque converter, both outside mirror motors, both window regulators, rack & pinion, etc.) - about $16,000 covered by GMPP Extended Warranty. If I had not had that warranty, I would have been hosed!!!

When the engine went out due to the Starter breaking the block year 7, that was the first time in my life, after owning 9 Corvettes (8 new/1 used) previously that I ever had to have one towed or fail to get me somewhere - never so much as a flat tire in 35 years of Corvette driving.

Since year 7, nothing major has happened yet - just minor nuisance things (like gauges doing their own thing). My GMPP expired last year and I have been adrift since then and am looking a buying another 3rd party Extended Warranty through my Credit Union this week to give me 4 more years of major coverage/peace of mind (hopefully). There are so many systems that can go wrong on these newer cars that it is amazing they run at all.

I can deal with a few hundred dollars here and there, but once you get hit with thousands in one day like I did, you think twice about an extended warranty - unfortunately most are not worth the paper they are written on and you never know until it is too late. To me about $500/year is money well spent to cover all the major systems if it is legitimate.

My GMPP cost me a total of about $3500 over 7 years and picked up over $16,000 in charges. If the C5 is your only car and a DD, an Extended Warranty is vital for someone like me.

Sorry to hear of all your problems - they do seem to run in waves.
Choreo is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
...Sorry to hear of all your problems - they do seem to run in waves.
Yes they do and I feel your pain Alini. You have definitely had your share of issues with that car and I don't blame you for dumping it.

But damn, my AC sure is working like a champ now! I'm sorry, I'm just so happy about my AC!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Yes they do and I feel your pain Alini. You have definitely had your share of issues with that car and I don't blame you for dumping it.

But damn, my AC sure is working like a champ now! I'm sorry, I'm just so happy about my AC!
I am pretty sure that even if the transmission goes out, you will still be able to sit in the garage and enjoy your A/C. That is one of those things that you just take for granted until they go out (like an erection). Kind of like the Chinese Proverb that says "When there is food on the table there are many problems to discuss, but when there is no food on the table there is only ONE problem to discuss".

If my electric bills get any higher, I may actually move into my C5 where the A/C is more efficient!
Choreo is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
I am pretty sure that even if the transmission goes out, you will still be able to sit in the garage and enjoy your A/C. That is one of those things that you just take for granted until they go out (like an erection). Kind of like the Chinese Proverb that says "When there is food on the table there are many problems to discuss, but when there is no food on the table there is only ONE problem to discuss".

If my electric bills get any higher, I may actually move into my C5 where the A/C is more efficient!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
alini
DC Crew

Member #61612

My Corvette(s)
C5 1997

I'm not Vettes in general, I really like the car just MY Vette is possessed, I have a friend who thinks someone died in it and its haunted.

Now that I'm retired military I am looking to replace it anyway, have been for months. This is just pushing me in that directions a bit faster.

Just on the fence about a new camaro or a C6
alini is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alini View Post
...Just on the fence about a new camaro or a C6
Screw the Camaro. If you are buying it for the performance, you will not like it after owning a Vette. I took a SS/RT to Chicago and the thing handled like a oil tanker. The power isn't as beastly as it is in a Vette. It's more like a zoo gorilla instead of one in the wild.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #10
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

Yeah. I would easily take a c6 over a new maro. An SS couldnt even take my c5 from a roll. Us, not sure about your guys areas, but new camaros are at even street light over here, rental cars, etc. Im so over the camaro. I actually like the last gen fbody before they took their "break".
A c6 2 inch drop, 20" wheels. Easy choice for me. Good luck
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes. Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam. Electric water pump... Monster clutch.. Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 in h drop and dark ass tint
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M. View Post
Yeah. I would easily take a c6 over a new maro. An SS couldnt even take my c5 from a roll. Us, not sure about your guys areas, but new camaros are at even street light over here, rental cars, etc. Im so over the camaro. I actually like the last gen fbody before they took their "break".
A c6 2 inch drop, 20" wheels. Easy choice for me. Good luck
Don't get me wrong, I like the car... it just ain't no Vette by a long shot. It would be my daily driver and cruise mobile.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

My wife and i have a couple of 08 and newer BMW 5 series cars for DD, hers is a Twin turbo sport AWD 6 speed sport wagon with a 2" drop and 19"'wheels. Mines a525i 6 speed. Great DD cars. I quess what i'm trying to say is, no matter what i'm driving, i'm always wishing i driving the vette. Since i rarely drive it, i know what it feels like to miss it.
I too think the camaro is a solid car, theres just so many out there already.

Last edited by T.M.; 07-19-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
pluslt
DC Crew

Member #82819

My Corvette(s)
2003 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M. View Post
Yeah. I would easily take a c6 over a new maro. An SS couldnt even take my c5 from a roll.
Same. I smoked one the other day at a stop light so bad I thought he let off, till I let off and he came blowing by me.

Plus the new Camaro just looks too plastic to me. Like someone took a base model of something and threw a bunch of aftermarket body panels on it. Now the Challenger I could get on board with but its a dog too from what I hear.

Last edited by pluslt; 07-21-2011 at 07:31 AM.
pluslt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
SOLD: 2003 Quicksilver Z06. LG Longtubes, Corsa Cat Back, Blackwing Intake, Hurst Short Throw, Textralia Clutch, 160 Degree Thermostat, ECS Tune. Iforged Aero's: 19s and 18s. Alpine IVA-W200, JBL speakers, amps and sub. Custom molded sub box with back lit LEDs.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluslt View Post
Same. I smoked one the other day at a stop light so bad I though he let off, till I let off and he came blowing by me.

Plus the new Camaro just looks too plastic to me. Like someone took a base model of something and threw a bunch of aftermarket body panels on it. Now the Challenger I could get on board with but its a dog too from what I hear.
Yea, the Challenger ain't much better either. Too big and heavy. However, the aftermarket industry is loaded for the Camaro. Some of the cars that I saw at Camaro5 Fest were wicked as all get out. There were some sweet ass looking rides there. If it were me, I'd buy the Camaro strictly for the looks, not the performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.