Van Steel coil overs vs. VBP Adjustable monoleaf - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Spezzy
DC Crew

Member #64845

My Corvette(s)
76 Stingray

Van Steel coil overs vs. VBP Adjustable monoleaf

Hey guys,
Just wondering your opinion on these two rear setups. I currently have the 420lb and 550lb fronts with Bilstein sports all around. It is my daily driver and I want to start autocrossing it and the occasional drag during weekends. I'm going to be ordering offset trailing arms as soon as funds permit.

The VBP is significantly cheaper, but the Vansteel has better clearance but not sure it is worth the money. Will also be looking for a good rear tire. Reason I want a [quick] adjustable ride height spring is for the running a wider out back that may be a little taller and require some more clearance. Note I will be doing auto-x more than drag.. Recommendations on a drag radial for daily use would be cool too.

I know it sounds like I want too much, but I am just in the preliminary stages of planning. Thanks all.
Spezzy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Art Jett

Member #46210

My Corvette(s)
1977 TPI 383 stroker/700R-4, 2002 Viper GTS

I've got the VanSteel offset trailing arms and double adjustable coilovers in the rear and a composite monoleaf with Bilstein sports in front on my 77. Handles great and rides pretty good too.
Art Jett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

I have VPB offset trailing arms on my 71 and the trailing arms are no longer a clearance issue the limitation is now the frame.

Actually I have the full front and rear VPB kit on it and have had it on the road course in Topeka. I am very pleased with the way it handles. I only have the single adjustable shocks.
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
SuprJames
DC Crew

Member #68031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Jett View Post
I've got the VanSteel offset trailing arms and double adjustable coilovers in the rear and a composite monoleaf with Bilstein sports in front on my 77. Handles great and rides pretty good too.
I think that's exactly opposite of the way most people would do it!

I don't know how the rear coilovers handle, but I don't think you'll gain any more clearance over the leaf spring.

Edit: saw you were doing it for the ride height. I'm not sure how much adjustment you have, but I know on the adjustable monoleaf setups changing the ride height is as simple as tightening a couple nuts on the ends of the spring.

Last edited by SuprJames; 12-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.
SuprJames is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Metalkid
DC Crew

Member #92641

My Corvette(s)
1978 Silver Anniversary Model #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprJames View Post
I think that's exactly opposite of the way most people would do it!

I know about how the rear coilovers handle, but I don't think you'll gain any more clearance over the leaf spring.

Edit: saw you were doing it for the ride height. I'm not sure how much adjustment you have, but I know on the adjustable monoleaf setups changing the ride height is as simple as tightening a couple nuts on the ends of the spring.
The adjustable monosprings, adjust for spring rate not ride height. Ride height is adjusted just like the stock setup, nuts on the spring bolts, (and/or longer 10" bolts.)
Metalkid is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Curby
DC Crew

Member #68914

My Corvette(s)
2000 Convertible, 1982 Crossfire, 1973 L48 Coupe, 1972 LS5 Coupe, 1971 Convertible

I just went to the VB&P set-up. I have not driven the car yet, but I have heard great things. I hope it will handle as well as my 2000 Vette, or even better.

I did not see any need for the offset trailing arms with 17" or 18" wheels. I bought sotck arms and re-located the e-brake brackets. The wheels/tires would hit the frame long before they hit the stock arms.
Curby is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Triple Black 2000 Z51 LS1 Convertible
Black 1982 L83 Crossfire Injection Coupe
Metallic Yellow 1973 L48 Coupe
Millie Miglia Red / Black Road Race 1972 / ZZ454 Coupe
Ontario Orange 1971 M21 Convertible
Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalkid View Post
The adjustable monosprings, adjust for spring rate not ride height. Ride height is adjusted just like the stock setup, nuts on the spring bolts, (and/or longer 10" bolts.)
The VPB front monospring is a doubble adjustable. It adj both for spring rate in the center hanger, and also for ride hight at the spring ends.

Here is a pic of it installed.

It has 4 spring rate setings in the center mounts. You can actualy set the spring rate different for each side if you wanted to. (I guess if you only made left turns.)
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
jet1991
DC Crew

Member #113932

My Corvette(s)
1980 L82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iburke View Post
The VPB front monospring is a doubble adjustable. It adj both for spring rate in the center hanger, and also for ride hight at the spring ends.

Here is a pic of it installed.

It has 4 spring rate setings in the center mounts. You can actualy set the spring rate different for each side if you wanted to. (I guess if you only made left turns.)
I was thinking about replacing my stock coils with a front leaf spring when I`m rebuilding the front suspension. But that looks a lot lower than the stock setup. How much lower is the groun clearance with that spring? Our roads here in Norway are awful so I actually can`t lower the car much without hitting anything on our main roads

Thanks.
jet1991 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Curby
DC Crew

Member #68914

My Corvette(s)
2000 Convertible, 1982 Crossfire, 1973 L48 Coupe, 1972 LS5 Coupe, 1971 Convertible

The spring is completely under the cross member, so it is about 3" lower in the center. The ends are even lower than that. It is about as low as a C5 or C6 suspension. The good part, is it is in-line with the front wheels, so it won't be an issue on speed bumps or driveways, etc.

You definitely don't want to run over a squirrel or anything larger than a small bird or rodent.

For back roads, I owuld suggest a coil-over set-up for the front rather than the transverse leaf.
Curby is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Triple Black 2000 Z51 LS1 Convertible
Black 1982 L83 Crossfire Injection Coupe
Metallic Yellow 1973 L48 Coupe
Millie Miglia Red / Black Road Race 1972 / ZZ454 Coupe
Ontario Orange 1971 M21 Convertible
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
D_B
DC Crew

Member #109378

My Corvette(s)
Custom / Modified 1977 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curby View Post
For back roads, I owuld suggest a coil-over set-up for the front rather than the transverse leaf.

I installed a front Shark Bite kit, which uses coil over and single adjustable QA1 shocks.

The kit is perfect because other than the adjustability of the kit it doesn't affect ground clearance at all.

I can set my ride height where I want it, and I can adjust the sensitivity of the shock.

It was not horribly expensive and it was very easy to install.
D_B is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Ray Y
DC Crew

Member #99894

My Corvette(s)
1970 BB Vert

I'm running the Van Steel QA1 coil overs Front & Rear on my '70. It's a great set up, not the cheapest solution but great results in handling and adjustability. I'm using dual adjust shocks in the rear (600# springs) and single adjust in front (500# springs), It's a big block car w/ a lot of aluminum (~675 HP) & a 5 speed tied to a Gary Ramedi 12 Bolt. The kit uses Hyperco springs that are available in many different rates for preference tuning. I would use this set up again in a heart beat! ...and the Van Steel guys were great to work with too. The QA system gives real independant wheel suspension which you will want for auto crossing. Just my opinions anyway....

Fronts:

Rears:
Ray Y is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
Enginerd
DC Crew

Member #118105

My Corvette(s)
72 coupe

I've got the VB&P duel mount leafs front and rear. The ground clearance isn't a problem; we have terrible roads here too and I go to NY once or twice a year and have to take the Belt Parkway, which is horrendous. It's no lower then the oil pan. The negative is like Ray said; it's not true independent suspension with them, you do get some cross feedback. The good with them; they're light, easy to adjust, and have an anti-roll attribute; as the car leans, it tries to put an "S" bend in the spring, which it resists. You can use a smaller anti-roll bar, which saves more weight and cost. For auto crossing on smooth-ish pavement the cross talk issue should be minimal. BTW VB&P has AWESOME service, I've used them for years including all kinds of custom stuff and they have always been good. The only thing you may want consider is the weight of your car. I've lightened mine a lot (2800 lbs) and the spring that comes with the kit is too stiff, I ran out of spring rate adjustment and it still rides like an empty dump truck. They can hook you up with a lighter spring if need be.
Enginerd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.