C7 Transmission - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
jmulhearn
DC Crew

Member #116930

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

C7 Transmission

One more year until the Detroit Auto Show! Some of you have been wondering if the C7 will get a 7 speed transmission and if it will be a single clutch or dual clutch. As the powertrain test mules grind away, GM has made the choice to install a 7 speed automatic dual clutch in the C7. The question that still remains is will we see a 7 speed manual transmission??? GM has not made the decision on this yet. The current (base model) C6 reaches top speed in 5th gear and the 6th is only used as an overdrive gear. The problem with 7 gears is you have to gear more closely in the lower gears to add the 7th. This means shifting sooner in 1st through 4th. This is a problem when trying to reach 0 to 60 in under 5 sec! GM will still install the 1st to 4th over ride to reduce fuel consumption, but I don't believe a 7 speed manual will make into final production. I think GM will go with a 6 speed manual dual clutch transmission. I do know the C7 will have a dual clutch setup in both automatic and manual.
jmulhearn is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

May I ask how you know any of this?
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
TheGorram
DC Crew

Member #64899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post

Sources or it didn't happen.
TheGorram is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
jmulhearn
DC Crew

Member #116930

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
It's based on what I have seen and am hearing from management.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
TheGorram
DC Crew

Member #64899

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulhearn View Post
It's based on what I have seen and am hearing from management.
Not trying to be rude. You tell us you have info on the C7 and then tell us you heard from management (what part of management?). That does nothing to certify the veracity of your claim. Hearsay isn't a lot to go on.

Do you have anything to back this up?
TheGorram is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
jmulhearn
DC Crew

Member #116930

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGorram View Post
Not trying to be rude. You tell us you have info on the C7 and then tell us you heard from management (what part of management?). That does nothing to certify the veracity of your claim. Hearsay isn't a lot to go on.

Do you have anything to back this up?
Everything people post on here is speculation. I could give you names, photos and drawings, but still just speculation on this forum. Read my other posts and see the trend is moving slowly from speculation to fact. The only way to trust what I'm saying is to compare my posts to the actual car in 12 months.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an article in Vette magazine's March 2012(which I received in early January/late December, that is a wtf rant for another day). The article discusses new programming for the 6L80E transmission the drops manually actuated shift times by 65%. This means the 1-2 shift time drops to 120ms and 2-3 to 200ms. Wouldn't this make the Vette more competitive with modern multi-clutch monstrosities?
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

Porsche has been able to offer both a manual transmission and a dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

I personally want a dual clutch transmission in my next vehicle and want that vehicle to be a corvette.

That said...I highly doubt GM will go that route but hope they do. Hope the original poster is correct.

Corvette enthusiasts that want a manual will always have that option but for those that want faster more consistant shifts will be grateful for the Dual clutch.
JBsZ0666 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsZ0666 View Post
Porsche has been able to offer both a manual transmission and a dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

I personally want a dual clutch transmission in my next vehicle and want that vehicle to be a corvette.

That said...I highly doubt GM will go that route but hope they do. Hope the original poster is correct.

Corvette enthusiasts that want a manual will always have that option but for those that want faster more consistant shifts will be grateful for the Dual clutch.
That is nice and all but it doesn't address the question I posed about Chevrolet reprogramming the existing transmission to be 65% faster on manual gear changes(1-4 any how)
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
That is nice and all but it doesn't address the question I posed about Chevrolet reprogramming the existing transmission to be 65% faster on manual gear changes(1-4 any how)
I don't really know about the details of the torque convertor automatic being 65 percent faster on manual gear changes but I'm sure it will be capable of it.

GM's manual shifting of its torque convertor automatics had a lot of room for improvment in that area...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
k wright
DC Crew

Member #25351

My Corvette(s)
Z06 2LZ, 2008 Victory Red, ebony interior

I'll always opt for a manual in sports or GT cars. The problem with most automatics that employ a torque convert or is that there is no rev matching.

Rev matching would be a quick fix that would leave the added complexity of DSG behind and still allow "manual" shifting.
k wright is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by k wright View Post
I'll always opt for a manual in sports or GT cars. The problem with most automatics that employ a torque convert or is that there is no rev matching.

Rev matching would be a quick fix that would leave the added complexity of DSG behind and still allow "manual" shifting.
Rev matching although nice would not leave the complexity of DSG behind.

The torque convertor tends to disconnect the direct driveline feel of either DSG or a manual transmission.

I'm sure the C7 will have a torque convertor automatic because GM bases most of its decisions on statistical data whereby from zero to 60 mph or 100mph acceleration is basically identical...

Its more of a driver feel of control that DSG is an advancement over torque convertor automatics...with about 7 percent better fuel efficiency (older automatic designs with torque convertors) and about 5 percet better drivetrain loss. (closer to 15 percent vs 20 percent usually associated with torque convertor automatics)

GM will drop the percentage loss...speed up the shifting times of the torque convertor automatic...and state they have no reason at this time to go dsg....

Which for enthusiasts will be a shame..

Real world..the DSG kicks the torque convertor automatic just as Porsche has recently proven with the 911
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulhearn View Post
One more year until the Detroit Auto Show! Some of you have been wondering if the C7 will get a 7 speed transmission and if it will be a single clutch or dual clutch. As the powertrain test mules grind away, GM has made the choice to install a 7 speed automatic dual clutch in the C7. The question that still remains is will we see a 7 speed manual transmission??? GM has not made the decision on this yet. The current (base model) C6 reaches top speed in 5th gear and the 6th is only used as an overdrive gear. The problem with 7 gears is you have to gear more closely in the lower gears to add the 7th. This means shifting sooner in 1st through 4th. This is a problem when trying to reach 0 to 60 in under 5 sec! GM will still install the 1st to 4th over ride to reduce fuel consumption, but I don't believe a 7 speed manual will make into final production. I think GM will go with a 6 speed manual dual clutch transmission. I do know the C7 will have a dual clutch setup in both automatic and manual.
Maybe, but color me "skeptical." GM announced last MAY that they were going to build an 8 Speed automatic. I have a difficult time accepting that they would come out with a new 7 speed [DSG or whatever] for Corvette only to offer a 8 speed auto in Cads, Camaros, trucks, etc.

I heard that Lingenfelter confirmed a dual clutch type DSG tranny has been in development by GM for the C7 for a while now, but there was no mention of the number of gears from Lingenfelter.

It would be odd, but not impossible to see GM offer a [7 or 8?] speed manual, an 8 speed Auto, and a 7 speed DSG.

It would be crazy to make the D$G the only tranny. Some won't like it and if a program problem does develop, or if there is a parts shortage for the new tranny, there would be no alternate to ship. They will also cost much more to produce than a traditional Auto or a Manual. DSGs maybe cool, not everyone is going to like driving them at first. They require a whole new set of skills

Certainly the cheapest C7 tranny would be standard - no pun intended - on the C7. Porsche just made a 7 spd manual its standard, so it's likely the vette will counter with a 7 spd Manual. This should help the MPG and maybe performance too. For a little more ($1200?) you get a traditional Auto with 8 gears (probably the Toledo tranny), and for much more ($3000?) you get a DSG.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...ion-in-toledo/

BTW, the Porsche PDK (double clutch auto - DSG) is a $4080 option.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
JBsZ0666
Account Disabled.

Member #3329

My Corvette(s)
c6 z51 M6 NPP

The DSG's don't really cost any more to build than a standard manual transmission and in fact in europe are less expensive to produce than a traditional torque convertor automatic...

Porsche pricing on all options throughout the lineup are extremely expensive....its just the way they managed to be the most profitable per car producer in the world..

Any of us can expect the Dual clutch transmission or an MCT transmission in a corvette to cost about 1200 dollars over the manual...

If I remember correctly the C5 had the automatic transmission as standard equipment and the manual transmission was a 1000 dollar option..

I wish GM would offer a DSG in the c7 but really it will probably just continue with a manual and a more efficient torque convertor automatic..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsZ0666 View Post
The DSG's don't really cost any more to build than a standard manual transmission
Right. Do you actually read what you write? Think about it a while. You should be able to figure out that this is a ludicrous statement.

Even if 50% of Corvettes were DSGs and 50% were a manual (removing the EOQ element of the cost eqation), the cost of the more complicated DSG would absolutely be greater than that of the more simple manual.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.