C6 Naturally aspirated – 700HP, Possible? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

C6 Naturally aspirated – 700HP, Possible?

The guy I work with just bought a 2008 C6 which he claims has 700HP from a dyno so that’s like 750 from the engine.

It does idle a little rough, at around 1000rpm but not anything dramatic. There is no supercharger, no turbo, no nitrix. and the intake looks stock.

I have been using the work “skeptical” should I be?
Anyone with experience in this area?

What do think?
Super_jim is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Evolution – It’s NOT a theory, it's an observation.
Beer and whiskey - members of the grain group, the base of the food pyramid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Jim, check my sig. Forged, stroked, Lingenfelter 403 LS 2, big cam, heads & intake worked to death, etc. I managed 530hp to the wheels through 4.10's, so 3.42's, maybe 540 rwhp...optimistically that's around 620-630hp to the crank, and thats with a lightweight clutch.

I'd seriously doubt he could make that kind of power n/a, especially with power adders, and especially if it's an oem engine with maybe a good h/c package.

If he has a manual, ask him what clutch he has in it. He'd need a dual disk to handle that kind of power. If it's an auto, ask if he's had it built. The stock drivetrain would melt with that kind of power.

I would say 'skeptical' is a mild but diplomatic adjective in this scenario.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
ironhorse
DC Crew

Member #74885

Tell you buddy at work to put the crack pipe down...he blowing smoke up your A**...Without power adders, supercharged or Turbo's, he's in fantasy land...
ironhorse is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
MR BRNS C6

Member #73972

My Corvette(s)
2006 Silver Fish

Sounds like your pal got sold a nice car with an even nicer line of BS.
MR BRNS C6 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Smithers, unleash the hounds!
Edelbrock E-Force 1593 & Magnaflow exhaust for that healthy American sound. Before SC 354 RWHP, after SC 484 RWHP. That's all I can do and still pass California smog.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

700+rwhp N/A is possible...but not with a stock intake. RobZ (who frequents the CF site) has an all-bore N/A LS7 (388CI) with a whole lot of work. He has this motor in his C5 Z and has gone 9.3's @ nearly 150mph...with a 6 speed. Conservatively his engine is making nearly 800rwhp.

Tell your friend he needs to go back to whoever sold him that car and ask for a dyno sheet...or should I write, dyno shit.
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
Bull-pelosi. Possible, hmmmm, but not at all probable.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

That is about what I thought.

He has an automatic.

Also, he says it drives fine for a daily driver. This I found suspicious, if GM had to use a super charger to get 620HP (and driveable) I find it difficult to believe....

Anyway thanks for the input.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Vettefan34
DC Crew

Member #18361

My Corvette(s)
2002 EB ZO6,Vortech Charged 96 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_jim View Post
That is about what I thought.

He has an automatic.

Also, he says it drives fine for a daily driver. This I found suspicious, if GM had to use a super charger to get 620HP (and driveable) I find it difficult to believe....

Anyway thanks for the input.
Those numbers would take moving some serious atmospheres of compression, race gas and huge heads and cam combo.

My 434 with a decent cam makes 640 crank on pump gas and has Zero Street manners.

He has a great sense of humor!
Vettefan34 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 EB ZO6- Doug Rippie Built A.R.E. Dry Sump 434 ci LS something..Wiseco 4.155 pistons,DTE 3.90 rear,RPM Stage V Transmision,Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, X pipe w/no cats, Borla Stingers, FAST-102/TPIS TB, Vararam .... 1320' 10.16@136 mph, 600RWHP,540RWTQ(E85), DRM Coilovers, T1 Sways, C6Z Brakes, Michelin PS Cup tires- 285/18 and 345/19 on 2009 Spyder Wheels.

Keep The C5's Alive!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

A buddy of mine ordered an NCM delivery ZR1, then drove it to Lingenfelter to be "polished and masaged." He didn't get their hottest package, but still drove out with about 720-750 HP. He says its scary fast (he moved to FL before I got a ride damn it).

I've forgotten exactly what Lingenfelter did, but I could find it on another thread here ...somewhere.

Bottom line, I'm very skeptical that a stock appearing NA LS3 could achieve 700HP.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
jasmin360
DC Crew

Member #118818

My Corvette(s)
base 1lt victory red corvette

700 hp is possible if you take the ls3 and swap it with a ls9 then your a pulley away from 700hp. to achieve that kind of power would require exotic materials a microfinished crank and variable valve timing and increased displacment. power isnt everything anyway when you consider how well you can handle it or even if the chassis and other components can handle it. i think if you want more power buy a zr1 and get the wow factor of owning it. i can understand the guys wanting a sleeper or a little more excitement its just that the corvette is a great car as it is and 700hp is just a lot of headaches when you burn through tires break half shafts or differentials. i love my corvette i just want it to sound unique so it wont be like the mercedes range from amg, why spend money on a sls when a c63 sounds the same and carrys four passengers it just doesnt make sense
jasmin360 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
vetteluver96
DC Crew

Member #40883

My Corvette(s)
84 corvette, 88 corvette, and 05 corvette

I'm beginning to think you guys dont know shit about engines and horsepower. Heads, Cam, Crank, Bigger Block, etc etc etc is over rated, all you need is to put stickers on your car and you instantly get power. If you dont believe me ask your fellow ricers they'll tell ya. There's a guy with a honda civic in Norman OK that puts out 800hp and he doesnt have turbo's, supercharger, NOS Just a reworked 4 banger with lots of Stickers. I feel I was ripped off purchasing a Lingenfelter package, if I only knew about those damn STICKERS I couldve saved myself lots of money....

Cliff
vetteluver96 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
80 corvette
84 corvette
88 corvette w/Z-51
05 corvette 6 Speed, Z-51 with a Lingenfelter PKG

Wrap your ass in fiberglass, drive a vette!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Cliff, you've forgotten the two ESSENTIAL components!! An unpainted carbon fiber hood (or a regular hood painted to look like unpainted CF) and a two foot wing spoiler sitting on the truck of your four door sedan.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmin360 View Post
700 hp is possible if you take the ls3 and swap it with a ls9 then your a pulley away from 700hp. to achieve that kind of power would require exotic materials a microfinished crank and variable valve timing and increased displacment.
could not be farther from the truth. You can easily build a shortblock that will handle 1,000+ hp (using all new components) for under $5,000. Hell, my short block will easily take 1,000 hp before it complains and I spent less than $5,000 on it SHIPPED to my door. From there it is just a matter of getting heads to flow enough, proper intake/tb, and a cam ground to match the combo. Once you get head flow/velocity high enough you can do it with enough cam. Street manners are another story, but is still possible (depending on your opinion of streetable).
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
rdevaux2007
DC Crew

Member #52923

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_jim View Post
The guy I work with just bought a 2008 C6 which he claims has 700HP from a dyno so that’s like 750 from the engine.

It does idle a little rough, at around 1000rpm but not anything dramatic. There is no supercharger, no turbo, no nitrix. and the intake looks stock.

I have been using the work “skeptical” should I be?
Anyone with experience in this area?

What do think?
Line your cars up at the drag strip. See how fast he runs compared to you. I suspect he will not race you.
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevaux2007 View Post

Line your cars up at the drag strip. See how fast he runs compared to you. I suspect he will not race you.
I have yet to ride in his car. I find it very likely his HP is greater than stock.

He is now using 725Hp. I pointed out that it was 700. He broke a 1/2 shaft. He tells me the dealler, where he got it fixed told him it was 725.

I know for a fact that King Cadilac (where he got it fixed) does not have a dyno.

I have started refering to his vet as: "7 million hourse power", and a smile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.