Last summer I picked up a T56 trans out of a 94' Trans Am that a guy was parting out. So I finally decided to go for the install and removed my old trans and clutch linkages and sold them. I kept my Centerforce dual friction clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I picked up a conversion kit from Weir Hot Rod Products to convert the trans from a pull type clutch to a push, so I can use my current clutch and flywheel. The kit comes with the following:
LT1 T56 Kit (converting the pull clutch to a more conventional push design)
356 T6 Cast Aluminum Heat Treated Bellhousing
Self Adjusting Hydraulic Release Bearing Assemble (which is rebuildable)
Steel Block Plate
All Necessary Bolts
Cleaned up the trans and picked up a Hurst Billet Plus Shifter.
I checked to make sure the clearance for my hydraulic throw-out bearing was going to be within specs, 1/8" give or take a 1/32. I started out by bolting the block plate, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and bellhousing to the engine. I put a straight edge across the bellhousing to trans surface and used a tape measure to measure the distance from the clutch fingers to the straight edge which gave me 1 1/2".
Then I installed the hydraulic throw-out bearing to the trans and used a straight edge again to measure the distance from the bearing face to the trans to bellhousing surface, which gave me 1 3/8". According to my measurements, subtract the two, I have 1/8" clearance between my throw-out bearing and clutch fingers which is right in specs.
I insulated the tunnel to cut down on heat.
I relocated the battery cable so it is out of the way of the new shifter location and trimmed the tunnel up.
I made a removable cover for the tunnel with a neoprene seal on one side and insulation on the other.
Bought a driveshaft from an 82' vette, has the correct yoke that I need and had it shortened 1" and balanced. Now 24" from center u-joint to center u-joint.
I needed an angle adapter for the firewall to clutch master. I received this generous donation from Keisler.
I used a rod end and bolt coupler for the clutch pedal connection.
Installed the clutch master with remote resevoir.
Trans is bolted up and waiting for Bowtie Overdrives to send me a replacement crossmember for the wrong one that they sent me the first time.
I've been waiting a month for this replacement crossmember and it should be arriving in a few more days.
Since the new trans uses an electronic speedometer, I made a filler plate and installed this 3 3/8" Autometer Digital Speedometer/ Tachommeter Combo.
Also, I picked up all the electrical plugs I needed for the trans speedometer, reverse lockout, and backup lights from ebay. It's getting close, just a bit more to go!