4 Speed to T56 6 Speed Conversion (Many Pics) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

4 Speed to T56 6 Speed Conversion (Many Pics)

Last summer I picked up a T56 trans out of a 94' Trans Am that a guy was parting out. So I finally decided to go for the install and removed my old trans and clutch linkages and sold them. I kept my Centerforce dual friction clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I picked up a conversion kit from Weir Hot Rod Products to convert the trans from a pull type clutch to a push, so I can use my current clutch and flywheel. The kit comes with the following:

LT1 T56 Kit (converting the pull clutch to a more conventional push design)
356 T6 Cast Aluminum Heat Treated Bellhousing
Self Adjusting Hydraulic Release Bearing Assemble (which is rebuildable)
Steel Block Plate
Pressure Tubing
All Necessary Bolts
Master Cylinder
Clutch Line

Cleaned up the trans and picked up a Hurst Billet Plus Shifter.

I checked to make sure the clearance for my hydraulic throw-out bearing was going to be within specs, 1/8" give or take a 1/32. I started out by bolting the block plate, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and bellhousing to the engine. I put a straight edge across the bellhousing to trans surface and used a tape measure to measure the distance from the clutch fingers to the straight edge which gave me 1 1/2".

Then I installed the hydraulic throw-out bearing to the trans and used a straight edge again to measure the distance from the bearing face to the trans to bellhousing surface, which gave me 1 3/8". According to my measurements, subtract the two, I have 1/8" clearance between my throw-out bearing and clutch fingers which is right in specs.

I insulated the tunnel to cut down on heat.

I relocated the battery cable so it is out of the way of the new shifter location and trimmed the tunnel up.

I made a removable cover for the tunnel with a neoprene seal on one side and insulation on the other.

Bought a driveshaft from an 82' vette, has the correct yoke that I need and had it shortened 1" and balanced. Now 24" from center u-joint to center u-joint.

I needed an angle adapter for the firewall to clutch master. I received this generous donation from Keisler.

I used a rod end and bolt coupler for the clutch pedal connection.

Installed the clutch master with remote resevoir.

Trans is bolted up and waiting for Bowtie Overdrives to send me a replacement crossmember for the wrong one that they sent me the first time. I've been waiting a month for this replacement crossmember and it should be arriving in a few more days.

Since the new trans uses an electronic speedometer, I made a filler plate and installed this 3 3/8" Autometer Digital Speedometer/ Tachommeter Combo.

Also, I picked up all the electrical plugs I needed for the trans speedometer, reverse lockout, and backup lights from ebay. It's getting close, just a bit more to go!

Last edited by MIKE80; 12-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
MIKE80 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIKE80 For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (12-11-2013), slofut (11-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

I just received the crossmember, and there are a few issues with it. I think I'm just going to deal with them myself so I don't have to wait another month for a replacement. The perch is a little long and comes in contact with the trans and needs to be trimmed down some. Also, the upper bolt holes to the frame brackets are a bit off, so I guess I'll just slot the holes to correct it. Also, I may have to add some shims to the mount to adjust the trans height. I've had a lot going on the last few weeks and just been trying to get some of it done when I can. I have a few days off next week and I'm hoping to finish it up.

A few thing left to do:

Install the crossmember and driveshaft.

Wire the Reverse Lights, Reverse Lockout, and Speedometer. I have the plugs for the sensors.

Install the Clutch Line from the Clutch Master to the Throwout Bearing. I have the correct fittings that I needed. Also, bleed the hydraulic clutch.

Re-install the brake booster. Connect the Digitial Speedometer/ Tachometer Combo and put the dash/ cluster back together.

And finally relocate the shifter to the stock location, which I'll probably make an adapter for that.

Here's a pic of the replacement crossmember powdercoated Flame Red, the same color as my chassis.

Last edited by MIKE80; 06-28-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
matchframe
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #1213

My Corvette(s)
1978 Modification in progress

Nice write up!!

Looking forward to following this!
matchframe is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchframe View Post
Nice write up!!

Looking forward to following this!
Thanks! It's getting there. Can't wait for the test drive!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Great post, keep it coming. I like the placement of the remote reservoir.
I just gave up on cross members, and started welding, then making them myself. Less time. less frustration, and less money.

What rear end ratio do you have?
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by iburke View Post
Great post, keep it coming. I like the placement of the remote reservoir.
I just gave up on cross members, and started welding, then making them myself. Less time. less frustration, and less money.

What rear end ratio do you have?
I here you about the crossmember I racked my brain to find that spot to squeeze in the reservoir. I have 370 gears.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Okay, got some more done this weekend. I corrected the problems with the crossmember and installed it along with the driveshaft. Just need to wire up the sensors and fill the trans with fluid. The clutch line is installed and I started bleeding the clutch, but I'm having some trouble getting all the air out. There is only one bleeder on the clutch master cylinder, so I'm not sure exactly the best way to get all the air out of the system. I hooked a hand vacuum pump to the bleeder and got out as much air as I can with that. I'll have to get some help and have someone inside work the pedal while I try bleeding it some more. Still have to connect the speedometer and install the dash cluster. Also, relocate the shifter to come through the stock shifter position. Here's a couple pics of the undercarriage.

The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE80 For This Useful Post:
iburke (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Looking really good mike...
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

I've been off from work and getting things done on my vette. All the wiring for the transmission sensors and the speedometer are completed. I bled the clutch and put the dash back together. I still need to relocate the shifter position to fit the stock location of the console, but I'll get to that next week. I also have to shorten the emergency brake cable because the new crossmember positioned the cable pulley back further which added to much slack for adjusment. Tomorrow I'll head out for a test drive.

Here is how to wire up the transmission sensors:

With OEM GM connectors;

Reverse Lockput
Pink - +12V (wired to power on with the brake lights at the brake pedal switch)
Green - Ground

Backup Lights (connected to the stock wiring to my 4 speed)
Green to Ignition +12V (stock blue wire)
Brown to Backup Lights (stock green wire)

VSS
Purple - Speedometer Signal
Green/Black - Ground

Last edited by MIKE80; 07-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

I took my truck out and marked off 2 miles from my house. I need the info to calibrate the new speedometer in the vette. So I go to fire the vette up and nothing. My best guess was the clutch pedal was not adjusted down far enough to trigger the neutral safety switch. I said "screw it"! I'm ready for a test drive, so I by-passed the switch and it fired right up. I'll fix it later. I took out the vette, calibrated the speedometer, and headed for the highway. The biggest things that I noticed the most was how much smoother shifting was. Definately much better! Also with the stock trans in 4th gear at 60 mph my vette was at a very loud 3100 rpm. Now in 6th gear at 60 mph my vette is at a mellow 1550 rpm! This is just so much better than before Now I just have to finish up the shifter location and adjust the clutch pedal for the neutral safety switch, but I think I'll enjoy some cruising first! Also, I have 370 gears in the rear.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

What size tire and rim combo you running? I've been wanting to switch in a 6 speed in place of my Turbo 400 to get the R's down. Car looks sharp as does the tranny....nice job Mike
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SBVet View Post
What size tire and rim combo you running? I've been wanting to switch in a 6 speed in place of my Turbo 400 to get the R's down. Car looks sharp as does the tranny....nice job Mike
I have 17"x9.5" wheels with Nitto 275/40 ZR17 tires all around. I'm adjusting the ride height, had it too low. I'm moving up half an inch, the front up to 26.5" and rear to 27.5" from the ground to center fender wheel lips. Thanks for the comments!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
rtj

Member #52011

My Corvette(s)
75/502, C6 Z06, 70 ProStreet

Nice write up, any estimates of the cost of the conversion?
rtj is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Nice write up, any estimates of the cost of the conversion?
Thanks! Probably spent just under $2500 including the trans. I spent $200 on the Hurst shifter, but I could have kept the stock shifter I had and saved the money, just wanted a better one. Also, sold my old trans and linkages for $800, probably could have sold for more, but gave a new 78' S/A vette owner a good deal. Still have the stock driveshaft and trans crossmember to sell. Anyone interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.