Dealer's second 2014 C7 at MSRP - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
309grovest
DC Crew

Member #12350

Dealer's second 2014 C7 at MSRP

Went to dealer today, where I have bought several corvettes and sales manager is my
friend, gave small deposit for his second 2014 C7 coupe at MSRP. Have long history with
this dealership and know they will receive several initial allocations - also know they will
honor their contract with me. Have a signed (by sales mgr.) & dated retail sales order that clearly states I will get their 2nd C7 coupe at MSRP.

My question: Do you think at introduction the C7 will sell at MSRP or above - or will they be discounted. If they sell at MSRP or more I have a good deal - if the C7 is discounted at introduction my deal is bad to say the least - opinions please - Thank you.
309grovest is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

While I can certainly understand the desire to have a C7, I think I'd have to know more about it long before I'd sign a contract to buy one.

That said, I can't comprehend buying a vehicle at MSRP, so I would never think it was a good deal.

However, I know that people do it all the time, and for a hot car, if you're willing to bet that the initial demand will create a markup situation, and you trust the dealer, then go for it, and please come back and post pictures when you get it!

Steven
OldVetteFan is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
309grovest
DC Crew

Member #12350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVetteFan View Post
While I can certainly understand the desire to have a C7, I think I'd have to know more about it long before I'd sign a contract to buy one.

That said, I can't comprehend buying a vehicle at MSRP, so I would never think it was a good deal.

However, I know that people do it all the time, and for a hot car, if you're willing to bet that the initial demand will create a markup situation, and you trust the dealer, then go for it, and please come back and post pictures when you get it!

Steven
Thanks for your insight.

All cars, especially hot domestics sell at MSRP or more initially. That can be said of the
the base C6, C6 Z06, C6 ZR-1, Camoro SS, Camaro ZL-1, All SRT's, Vipers, Shelby's, GTR's.
After year one you can get one of the cars above for MSRP or maybe 2,000.00 off list. This
is what I have found where I live NY metro area - I am sure in other parts of the country its
easier to get discounts and on the west coast its more difficult. I have had many Vettes, several which have been purchased sight unseen, some I like more than others, but in general I prefer the look of a vette over any other car - Guess I am brainwashed
Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

Were the first wave of C6 models quickly scooped up at MSRP? Of course, I imagine that the economic conditions supported a better appetite for Corvettes in 2004 than it will next year.

Personally, I would be willing to wait and see.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
kraz
DC Crew

Member #115454

My Corvette(s)
red 93 yellow 12 gs vert

what color what opptions man or auto
kraz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
309grovest
DC Crew

Member #12350

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraz View Post
what color what opptions man or auto
Did not select color or options yet - that will be done in early to mid Spring 2013.
If available I will get a manual, 3LT Pkg., dual mode exhaust, Mag. ride control, transparent top and chrome wheels.

As for color: a shade of red or blue with titanium or cashmere interior
Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGS View Post
Were the first wave of C6 models quickly scooped up at MSRP? Of course, I imagine that the economic conditions supported a better appetite for Corvettes in 2004 than it will next year.

Personally, I would be willing to wait and see.
It comes down to how the Corvette is received, luxury items are up right now so if its viewed as a luxury item it should do well.

however if its viewed in a similar fashion as the current car then its probably not going to do as well as it can in this market. I would hope that the C7 will be sold at MSRP (or a small mark up) as that would boast well for the health of the model in the market.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
ZL1GT
DC Crew

Member #13275

My Corvette(s)
Yellow 427

"MSRP" then vs. now

It used to be said that "only a fool would pay MSRP".

That WAS true back in the 60's and 70's when the GM markup between invoice and MSRP was 24%* on Corvettes and full-size cars,
19%* on compacts and intermediates. For my 21st birthday present to myself I ordered a well optioned '66 coupe, MSRP $5830.00.
I paid $4764.81 plus tax. That still allowed the dealer a few hundred dollars profit!

Since the 80's GM has repeatedly shrunk the markup to the point that it's less than 10%* on most models. Although I haven't yet had
to pay MSRP for the C4s, C5s, and C6s I've ordered, it wouldn't really be unreasonable to do so anymore - what other product can you buy
with such a slim profit margin?

*not counting holdback etc.
ZL1GT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
C2C3C4C6
DC Crew

Member #14484

My Corvette(s)
2005 Black/Ebony coupe

That is what did with my C6; placed and order with a deposit one year before it came out. Glad I did. Based on what I have seen so far of the C7 I wouldn't even consider doing that again.
C2C3C4C6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
jaymsu
DC Crew

Member #67990

My Corvette(s)
TOY4JAY I: 02 EB Coupe, TOY4JAY II: 07 VY Z06, TOY4JAY III (current): 06 Coupe w/ Z51

To answer OP's question: Would C7 be selling at MSRP or above, or with discount? I think it will be selling above MSRP at the beginning. But I don't think that dealer mark-ups won't be for long.

So if you need to have a first C7 in your block, I think you have a good deal.
Knowing the typical auto industry's trend, I usually don't want to buy a car that just came out into the market - plus I don't want to pay any premium. So in my case, I would wait 6 months to a year, and get C7.

One thing is... I think C7 base price (MSRP) will be raised, compared to C6 base price.

Anyways,,, I'm positive you will be very happy with your C7.
jaymsu is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 Arctic White Coupe w/ Z51 : Airaid Intake, XS Power Muffler, Dr. Phil Tuned
SS braided brake line, Bilstein shock, TSW Nurburgring (forged) wheels
HP+ brake pads (F) / EBC Yellow pads (R)
Hardbar Harness bar w/ Schroth harness - Other than that, it's pretty much stock.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

MSRP Markups are subject to MANY influences.
  • The dealer needs at the time you walk into the showroom
  • The number of recent offers the dealer has received for that vette and / or others he has sold.
  • How many vettes the dealer has to sell.
  • Local economic outlook.
  • What the last vette sold for.

All of the above influence the flexibility (or lack thereof) the dealer will show in negotiation. On September 30, 2013 in Podunk, Idaho John Q might get a $2k discount because the dealer needs to get the car out of his inventory before his flooring loan payment is calculated for the next month and because NO ONE else has shown any interest in the car for the last month+. On that same day, Felix Chevrolet might sell a C7 for a $5k markup to a rich single mom in Beverly Hills ... for her kid.

So all markup discussions are "general" in nature and NEVER universal.

The C5 was ground breaking and universally hailed. MSRP markups lasted a looong time - especially here in California where easy come, easy go is a motto for too much of our state. It took me a long time to warm up to that rear, so I never negotiated for one in the early years, but they seemed to have the "$1000 Ming wax coating" additions (this moved the starting negotiation point higher) well into the 2000's ... and the Z06's carried always carried a markup as did the 50th Anniv.

The C6 was criticized most for it's loss of the pop up headlights and by some for not having more radically different styling. The larger markups out here lasted through most of year two, tho the "Ming" additions stayed much longer.

The C7, at this point is being almost universally criticized. This could change upon it's release, but I say that at best the C7 will receive a turbulent, contriversial reception. Depending upon the economic outlook, I think the C7 will have a markup for 6months to a year. Demand will drop by the start of year two.

In California, at least, dealers will always try to play pricing games with special interest cars like Corvette. They will add $1k for a wax job, $2k for a 3m protective nose cover, etc. But "Market adjustment" stickers next to the window sticker can only be maintained by customer demand.

My only C7 demand is that they recognize a huge judgement error with this design.

So.... when do you think the C8 will be out?
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
C2C3C4C6
DC Crew

Member #14484

My Corvette(s)
2005 Black/Ebony coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
MSRP Markups are subject to MANY influences.
  • The dealer needs at the time you walk into the showroom
  • The number of recent offers the dealer has received for that vette and / or others he has sold.
  • How many vettes the dealer has to sell.
  • Local economic outlook.
  • What the last vette sold for.

All of the above influence the flexibility (or lack thereof) the dealer will show in negotiation. On September 30, 2013 in Podunk, Idaho John Q might get a $2k discount because the dealer needs to get the car out of his inventory before his flooring loan payment is calculated for the next month and because NO ONE else has shown any interest in the car for the last month+. On that same day, Felix Chevrolet might sell a C7 for a $5k markup to a rich single mom in Beverly Hills ... for her kid.

So all markup discussions are "general" in nature and NEVER universal.

The C5 was ground breaking and universally hailed. MSRP markups lasted a looong time - especially here in California where easy come, easy go is a motto for too much of our state. It took me a long time to warm up to that rear, so I never negotiated for one in the early years, but they seemed to have the "$1000 Ming wax coating" additions (this moved the starting negotiation point higher) well into the 2000's ... and the Z06's carried always carried a markup as did the 50th Anniv.

The C6 was criticized most for it's loss of the pop up headlights and by some for not having more radically different styling. The larger markups out here lasted through most of year two, tho the "Ming" additions stayed much longer.

The C7, at this point is being almost universally criticized. This could change upon it's release, but I say that at best the C7 will receive a turbulent, contriversial reception. Depending upon the economic outlook, I think the C7 will have a markup for 6months to a year. Demand will drop by the start of year two.

In California, at least, dealers will always try to play pricing games with special interest cars like Corvette. They will add $1k for a wax job, $2k for a 3m protective nose cover, etc. But "Market adjustment" stickers next to the window sticker can only be maintained by customer demand.

My only C7 demand is that they recognize a huge judgement error with this design.

So.... when do you think the C8 will be out?
This design, along with demise of many baby-boomers, might result in the end of the Corvette.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

...add in the current depression - yes I said the "D" word - and more than Corvette could be in jeopardy, IMO.

From the rosier side of the street, don't forget that the car itself should be great ... and the interior too.

GM marketing does not live in a vacuum. They are reading all the comments and these posts are not the only source. Read the comments on the car rag sites like Autoweek & C&D each time they place spy pics or renderings on their sites.

As there should be, there are still some "Well ... I guess I'll have to see it in person" comments, but the overwhelming comments don't like the design and / or even say they will now buy something else.

I think that labeling the Corvette ownership as "Babyboomers" is the big mistake that is being made. When I was a kid, my family knew several owners of Corvettes. My Dad also sold Chevies - more than a few Corvettes. They didn't label Corvette ownership as the WWII gen or the Korean War Gen, but these were the guys who could afford them.

I think Corvette will have a rough go, but will outlive this brain hemorage marketing error. But the majority of Corvette owners will always be successful and be in their late 40s to late 50's. They don't have kids to haul around anymore and they want to spoil themselves.

GM: if you want to make a Miata (afordable "young" sports car), great, go do it ... even make an entry level UNIQUE CHASSIS / ENGINE / BODY Baby Corvette if you must, but don't screw up the C4 / C5 / C6 successes any more than you already have with the C7.

Let's start a C8 section.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Aleem 1983
DC Crew

Member #14577

My Corvette(s)
1995 Chevy Blazer (Sold) 2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 (Current)

Play the waiting game

I honestly feel that both economy and certainly how much people accept the new cars looks. When C6 was introduced in 2004 and when C5 was shown in 1996 the country could play with Corvettes a bit more with some spare cash laying around. This new Corvette GM is expecting to sell so well of is hype for themselves. I picture people putting up a fight at a dealer for a next to 0 miles C6 than a new C7.
Aleem 1983 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Not All Womens Minds Are Engineered With The Balanced Abilty To Compromise & Understand, So, Like Any Other Obstruction In The Road Of Life, You Have To Learn How To Steer Around Them"
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
C2C3C4C6
DC Crew

Member #14484

My Corvette(s)
2005 Black/Ebony coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleem 1983 View Post
I honestly feel that both economy and certainly how much people accept the new cars looks. When C6 was introduced in 2004 and when C5 was shown in 1996 the country could play with Corvettes a bit more with some spare cash laying around. This new Corvette GM is expecting to sell so well of is hype for themselves. I picture people putting up a fight at a dealer for a next to 0 miles C6 than a new C7.
Think so!! I have 5,680 miles on my 2005 that was delivered on 9/24/04 and still smells like new inside, never in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.