Hood Latch Drama - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
ndv
DC Crew

Member #119116

My Corvette(s)
1976 L48 4Spd

Hood Latch Drama

The good news, hood is mounted and aligned as good as it gets until its blended with the rest of the body.

The bad... or at least frustrating.

The driver's side, when latched, rides a little high and has a lot of "spring" to it. It appears I can adjust the height, down in this case, via a screwdriver and some sort of 3 pronged wrench. Am I mistaken?

Second, when I pull the hood release, the driver's side pops up but I almost always have to reach in and push the spoon a little further to release the passenger side. I've adjusted the cable using the plate with holes to the point that the driver's side can still latch but it won't release the passenger side. The release just doesn't seem to have enough travel.

Am I looking at cable stretch, either the release cable or the one between the latches?

Any insight appreciated.
ndv is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
cars
The older I get, the faster I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

Funny thing mine is doing just like yours. My hood gaps aren't adjusted so trying to open it is a pita.....if my brother gets it open I'll post a response of how he did so.
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
ndv
DC Crew

Member #119116

My Corvette(s)
1976 L48 4Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SBVet View Post
Funny thing mine is doing just like yours. My hood gaps aren't adjusted so trying to open it is a pita.....if my brother gets it open I'll post a response of how he did so.
My gaps can only be fixed with body work I think. Both front fenders have been replaced; I did one this year and a previous owner did the other one.

When I "pop" the hood, the driver's side releases but I have to either wiggle the hood or reach in and push the spoon further for it to pop.
cars
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
The Rat
DC Crew

Member #78946

My Corvette(s)
Modified 76

I see you cut out the front of the hood scoop. Do you have a plan to keep the rain from coming in and I don't mean just when your driving?
The Rat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

I know my fore and aft aren't exactly perfect on mine so I think that's where my problem lies. The hood was sort of put on until the final alignment that was suppose to be done on it, but I completely closed it when I loaded it up so that it wouldn't become a windsail. I know my main hood cable has stretch in it so that doesn't help.
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
rtj

Member #52011

My Corvette(s)
75/502, C6 Z06, 70 ProStreet

Make sure the latches center on the lower post. Oil everything latches, cables, et cetera.

The latch probably has too much " bite.

Last edited by rtj; 11-02-2012 at 06:05 AM.
rtj is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Make sure the latches center on the lower post. Oil everything latches, cables, et cetera.1640 N ST Rd 7
Lauderhill, FL 33313

The latch probably has too much "bite."

Open the hood and put masking tape across the holes in the lower latches. Then put grease on the points of the upper hood latches, then close the hood until the points come in contact with the masking tape and see if the points leave a mark that is centered in the hole. if not adjust the lower latches, re-tape, re-grease the points and try again until the two latches are centered.

If the latches are not centered, the hood will be "pulled" towards the most off centerd side causing th latches to operat as you discribed. This is a fidly deal but when you have it right you will see the difference. good luck
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
ndv
DC Crew

Member #119116

My Corvette(s)
1976 L48 4Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
I see you cut out the front of the hood scoop. Do you have a plan to keep the rain from coming in and I don't mean just when your driving?
I'm just going to do a humidity type screen. The 68 mustang has rear facing turn signal cut-outs at about the same place in relation to the engine and air cleaner. No screen, just a couple bars across it, hasn't been a problem for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SBVet View Post
I know my fore and aft aren't exactly perfect on mine so I think that's where my problem lies. The hood was sort of put on until the final alignment that was suppose to be done on it, but I completely closed it when I loaded it up so that it wouldn't become a windsail. I know my main hood cable has stretch in it so that doesn't help.
I'm going for a semi-final fit here. And by that I mean it will be the body shop's responsibility to line it all back up when they are done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Make sure the latches center on the lower post. Oil everything latches, cables, et cetera.1640 N ST Rd 7
Lauderhill, FL 33313

The latch probably has too much "bite."
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post

Open the hood and put masking tape across the holes in the lower latches. Then put grease on the points of the upper hood latches, then close the hood until the points come in contact with the masking tape and see if the points leave a mark that is centered in the hole. if not adjust the lower latches, re-tape, re-grease the points and try again until the two latches are centered.

If the latches are not centered, the hood will be "pulled" towards the most off centerd side causing th latches to operat as you discribed. This is a fidly deal but when you have it right you will see the difference. good luck
I'll see about doing this tonight. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of using tape etc. From what I've seen everything is fidly about putting a new/original hood back on a car. Took me 2-3 sessions before I had the hinges right. Even then I had to modify them a bit so the new hood lined up.

All good stuff so far. Any thoughts on adjusting that driver's side spring down to remove some of the "spring" in the hood when I push down on that side?
cars
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndv View Post
All good stuff so far. Any thoughts on adjusting that driver's side spring down to remove some of the "spring" in the hood when I push down on that side?
You do this by screwing the point into the latch. By screwing the point in you are compressing the spring causing the hood to be "pulled" down towards the body. If you look at the ends of the points there is a screw driver slot to screw or un screw the points in the upper latch.

I also think there is a "jam" nut on the threaded shaft below the point
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
ndv
DC Crew

Member #119116

My Corvette(s)
1976 L48 4Spd

Quote:
You do this by screwing the point into the latch. By screwing the point in you are compressing the spring causing the hood to be "pulled" down towards the body. If you look at the ends of the points there is a screw driver slot to screw or un screw the points in the upper latch.

I also think there is a "jam" nut on the threaded shaft below the point
That's what I thought but thanks for confirming for me!

Looks like I'll have to open up that slot on the top some how. Over the years, it looks like it's taken a beating.
cars
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
ndv
DC Crew

Member #119116

My Corvette(s)
1976 L48 4Spd

No pics, so it probably didn't happen....

I got the hood installed and latching properly on all counts though I think it could use a bit of grease to smooth things out.

The masking tape trick worked like a champ. Not only did it fix the latching issue on the driver's side, but also fixed the release issue.

I was also able to adjust the height of the driver's side at the windshield by compressing the spring as suggested. I had to take a cutoff wheel to open the the slot up after years of abuse though.
cars
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Quote:

great idea, I never thought about that! Guess I'll be doing that soon
AirbornSilva is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.