Junkman's Atlanta Motor Speedway Laps for 2012! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
Junkman's Atlanta Motor Speedway Laps for 2012!

I meant to post this already. Went back to Atlanta for the breast cancer fund raiser put on by Corvettes Serving America Foundation and the PaceSetters Corvette Club. Has a blast as usual! Joined up with some forum members there who also post here and even met some new members. Steve (PSU 98) came down all the way from Schuylkill County, PA, which was one hell of a drive. Nice to finally put a name to a face there. Also hooked up with the usual crew from Renegade Corvettes, Stephen (sjsz06), GrampaC5 and others from their crew. This is a annual get together for members of their club and it's always good to see them.

This is just one set of laps that I did but I'm posting this video for a reason. The first 3 Corvettes that I pass are the guys who drove down from Louisville with me. They were talking smack all the way up to the point where I blew the doors off their cars! Looks like that head gasket job that kept me away last year is holding up!

It was pretty cold this year and the car wasn't as sticky as I wanted it to be so I didn't break my speed record but hey, any trip around AMS is always a blast!


Enjoy the ride!



Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Front Runner
DC Crew
 
Front Runner's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Member #117837
Member since: Oct 2011
Location: Edge of Insanity

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the post and video Junkman!

I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish I was there.

I'm looking to get out on a track and open her up.........my time is coming.
Front Runner is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
_____________________


C7 Stingray Corvette - Coming to a garage near me............
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
You're the same distance from the track that I am! You should join us next year!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
rdevaux2007
DC Crew
 
rdevaux2007's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,054
Member #52923
Member since: Nov 2006

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I live in Atlanta, wish I knew y'all were gonna be there.
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevaux2007 View Post
I live in Atlanta, wish I knew y'all were gonna be there.
I practically go every year! I only missed last year because of my head gasket repair but I post videos every year that I go. How did you miss it?

Here's one of my 2010 trips!

Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
rdevaux2007
DC Crew
 
rdevaux2007's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,054
Member #52923
Member since: Nov 2006

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
when was it?
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
rdevaux2007
DC Crew
 
rdevaux2007's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,054
Member #52923
Member since: Nov 2006

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
DC needs to organize a meet at Atlanta Motorsports Park.
I drove it two weeks ago in a Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560. 2 mile course, 16 turns, very technical. It was awesome.

www.atlantamotorsportspark.com/
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevaux2007 View Post
when was it?
It's usually the first weekend in October. They changed it this year to October 28th, which was a Sunday. That caused the attendance to be lower but meant that you got on the track a lot faster and as much as you wanted. Usually, it's packed. Check out this shot. See that garage in the background? We usually fill up 3 of those with 3 cars deep per door. This year we almost filled one. Plenty of track time for those who wanted it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevaux2007 View Post
DC needs to organize a meet at Atlanta Motorsports Park.
I drove it two weeks ago in a Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560. 2 mile course, 16 turns, very technical. It was awesome.

www.atlantamotorsportspark.com/
This event is NOT technical. Put your left turn signal on, smash the pedal and have fun!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
rdevaux2007
DC Crew
 
rdevaux2007's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,054
Member #52923
Member since: Nov 2006

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'll be there next year!
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Front Runner
DC Crew
 
Front Runner's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Member #117837
Member since: Oct 2011
Location: Edge of Insanity

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You're the same distance from the track that I am! You should join us next year!

Might have to do that. What is the event? Is there a link providing info?
Front Runner is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
_____________________


C7 Stingray Corvette - Coming to a garage near me............
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Might have to do that. What is the event? Is there a link providing info?
Here you go!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Front Runner
DC Crew
 
Front Runner's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Member #117837
Member since: Oct 2011
Location: Edge of Insanity

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!!!!!!!
Front Runner is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
_____________________


C7 Stingray Corvette - Coming to a garage near me............
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
sjsz06
DC Crew
 
sjsz06's Avatar
 
Posts: 332
Member #74700
Member since: Aug 2008
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia

My Corvette(s)
2002 EB Z06

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I meant to post this already. Went back to Atlanta for the breast cancer fund raiser put on by Corvettes Serving America Foundation and the PaceSetters Corvette Club. Has a blast as usual! Joined up with some forum members there who also post here and even met some new members. Steve (PSU 98) came down all the way from Schuylkill County, PA, which was one hell of a drive. Nice to finally put a name to a face there. Also hooked up with the usual crew from Renegade Corvettes, Stephen (sjsz06), GrampaC5 and others from their crew. This is a annual get together for members of their club and it's always good to see them.

This is just one set of laps that I did but I'm posting this video for a reason. The first 3 Corvettes that I pass are the guys who drove down from Louisville with me. They were talking smack all the way up to the point where I blew the doors off their cars! Looks like that head gasket job that kept me away last year is holding up!

It was pretty cold this year and the car wasn't as sticky as I wanted it to be so I didn't break my speed record but hey, any trip around AMS is always a blast!


Enjoy the ride!

...
Hey AJ - Enjoyed seeing you again.
I suspect the tire problem was mostly the cold weather!
I know I was leery of running as fast in the turns as I did last year (at one point I was doing 112 in turn 1-2! This year more like 100).

I posted my three videos on our site here: CABC-X

But my best run came in the third session so I'll post that one here. Bob Clark was riding with me with his GPS tracking the speed.


Bob's comment about his GPS keeping track with Jim's is referring to when Bob road with Jim Hamby in his C6 Z06.

My Window Valet indicated 142 where Bob's GPS showed 141.
That WV reading is the same as last year... maybe next year I'll get the guts to hold it a bit longer and manage a tad more. Then again, I run the whole thing in 4th and 145 is top speed in 4th so not much room for improvement.
Watching the video it looks like I got out of it way early, but it's different when you are in the car! That corner comes at you very fast.

Can' wait for next year!
sjsz06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 EB Z06
ARH LTs, VaraRam, VRX4 cam,
Dyno Tune by Vengeance Racing - 410 RWHP, 388 RWTQ
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 24,127
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 140
Thanked 441 Times in 342 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsz06 View Post
... Watching the video it looks like I got out of it way early, but it's different when you are in the car! That corner comes at you very fast.
You ain't whistling Dixie!

I got a kick out of, "That's Dekalb County, what do you expect!" I saw him squeezing you into the wall. I was wondering if you were going to go for it. I would have backed off too!

You trusted your tires a lot more than I did mine! I could feel the car wanting to slip toward the wall and I just didn't feel safe pulling it back down on the track. It was the first time I had ever ran on Pilot Sports. I still prefer my GoodYear Eagle F1's.

Thanks for sharing!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
sjsz06
DC Crew
 
sjsz06's Avatar
 
Posts: 332
Member #74700
Member since: Aug 2008
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia

My Corvette(s)
2002 EB Z06

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You ain't whistling Dixie!

I got a kick out of, "That's Dekalb County, what do you expect!" I saw him squeezing you into the wall. I was wondering if you were going to go for it. I would have backed off too!

You trusted your tires a lot more than I did mine! I could feel the car wanting to slip toward the wall and I just didn't feel safe pulling it back down on the track. It was the first time I had ever ran on Pilot Sports. I still prefer my GoodYear Eagle F1's.

Thanks for sharing!
AJ, yeah, Bob can crack you up! (actually it was Cobb county.).

On one of our mountain runs Bob had an older rather large camcorder he brought and was taking some video. At one point he said "I finally found a position to brace myself where I don't feel like a cat in a dryer". I laughed so hard I told him not to do that while I'm trying to negotiate the curvy road!

Oh, and by the way, I'm on Toyo T1R's... seem pretty good but I liked the Veredesteins better. They were just more trouble because I had to mail order them, then haul them to the tire shop for them to install... (didn't think to see if they could ship directly to Kauffman, which I just though of!).
sjsz06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 EB Z06
ARH LTs, VaraRam, VRX4 cam,
Dyno Tune by Vengeance Racing - 410 RWHP, 388 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved